Ammunition

kenu12345

Seeker of Ancient Knowledge
Aug 3, 2011
Correct me if I am wrong, and this isn't towards the comic or anything, but I am pretty sure meninist is used as a satirical term ....

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
EvilRoy said:
The Wooster said:
EvilRoy said:
... I have to say this kind of feels weird coming from the guys who have made a conscious decision to create high yield ammunition in the past for no purpose beyond it being used as such.
While I generally let comments like this slide, I'll bite. Every CM comic was designed to make people laugh. Some of them succeed, others don't, and sometimes some people get their feelings hurt in the process, but I've never written a comic designed purely to annoy people.

Oddly enough, the "you're just trolling comments" always come from people who feel they're the butt of a particular joke.
Certainly you try to make people laugh, and succeed fairly often for myself at least, but that doesn't really change the fact that you definitely target people or groups now and then. For instance, even though a lot of people had a good laugh at it, I don't know if you can claim that some of the Evelagon comics were anything but aimed directly one fandom.

I'm not saying "you're just trolling", I'm saying it seems weird that you don't like your art to be used as bullets by idiots, when you have totally intentionally armed idiots in the past - giving a dude a bullet that makes him giggle is pretty much the same as giving him a normal non-funny bullet when he fires it.

Or maybe I'm misunderstanding, and you don't care one way or the other what idiot uses what stuff as ammo and this is just a commentary on the reality that it happens. Can't really read minds long distance since the device was confiscated, so I can only interpret what I see.
I like Eva, but a lot of fans of it really need to take themselves less seriously.

Tono Makt

Mar 24, 2012
rembrandtqeinstein said:
That is why content creators (ones who actually make stuff) need to ignore outragists using words like "problematic" and "uncomfortable".

And of course all of the modern words accusing the creator of having certain unapproved thoughts.

The trolls are like the bogeyman, they only have power if you give it to them.
They shouldn't IGNORE them until they have looked to see why it is making people say they are uncomfortable or the artwork is problematic. Sometimes art crosses lines that the creator didn't intend it to cross.

That being said, artists need to be able to stand by their work if they feel the artwork is defensible. That... seems to be in shorter supply as of late.

Sep 13, 2009
I really like this comic. Different direction than usual, but well done nonetheless.

As mentioned on twitter, that fact that some people don't get the joke makes it all the more sweeter

EvilRoy said:
Certainly you try to make people laugh, and succeed fairly often for myself at least, but that doesn't really change the fact that you definitely target people or groups now and then. For instance, even though a lot of people had a good laugh at it, I don't know if you can claim that some of the Evelagon comics were anything but aimed directly one fandom.
I remember Grey saying that he makes fun of Evangelion because he's a fan of it at some point in the past. So technically he's part of the fandom he's mocking

Lightknight

Mugwamp Supreme
Nov 26, 2008
RJ 17 said:
Well congratulations, my friend! You are the exception, not the rule.
Nope, I'm not special. I think we just tend to take greater notice of the all out debacles that get extra heated to the point of boiling over. Why would we take notice of all the arguments that end abruptly and early due to someone admitting fault? There's literally nothing to see there after that point.

Case in point: GamerGate is apparently still a thing.
They seem to have achieved a decent amount of anti-corruption in journalism. Several major sites published new guidelines and it looks like there have been some changes in tone and staffing in many of these places. Perhaps they feel like there's more to accomplish or like their group wasn't given the justice components of it deserved due to being overshadowed to some other rather large components such as the springboard. But I'm not sure I follow your logic here. GamerGate was/is a million different points and arguments from tons of different people. It was "THIS" or "THAT". Some people learned from it, some people didn't, and I see no reason why its still going on would be any sort of claim. Do you really feel like it was AN argument and not many?

Though I do believe the argument can be made of "one shouldn't be going to the internet if they're seeking reasonable and intelligent debate/discourse over a given topic" but hey, more power to you if you manage to find a unicorn every time you have a disagreement with someone on the internet...because that's pretty much what it is when/if you manage to find an "agreeable" person on the internet even if they disagree with you.
You don't need reasonable people to learn from. I learn from assholes all the time. All I need is for them to be right and to have the smallest of abilities to convey their reasoning. I'm willing to do the footwork there and actually research their points.

But yes, I do find myself engaging with well meaning and well intentioned individuals on a somewhat regular basis. I find that exhibiting those qualities myself seems to result in similar treatment in return. I'll admit that I do have quite a few debates that start off heated on one side that get a lot better after a while of me responding earnestly to their taunts rather than responding in kind. If (and this is 80% joke) you find that every argument you've ever been in has been heated and fruitless then you may want to consider that the single unifying commonality in all those debates is you. I hope that makes you chuckle and pause. :p

RJ 17

The Sound of Silence
Nov 27, 2011
Lightknight said:
Why would we take notice of all the arguments that end abruptly and early due to someone admitting fault? There's literally nothing to see there after that point.
Because such occurances are, as I said, like finding a unicorn: worthy of everyone taking a moment to just sit back and stare in jaw-agape awe.

Some people learned from it, some people didn't, and I see no reason why its still going on would be any sort of claim.
Because it supports the point of the visual aid I previously provided.

You don't need reasonable people to learn from. I learn from assholes all the time. All I need is for them to be right and to have the smallest of abilities to convey their reasoning. I'm willing to do the footwork there and actually research their points.
Then you do the footwork for me: scour this site alone (just to keep things easy on yourself) and come back with the numbers on how many "discussions" actually end with an amicable agreement on one side or the other vs those that end up being two people with bullhorns shouting at one another until they just stop.

Quite simply: prove today's comic wrong. That is your homework assignment for the day.

But yes, I do find myself engaging with well meaning and well intentioned individuals on a somewhat regular basis. I find that exhibiting those qualities myself seems to result in similar treatment in return.
If only for a moment I wish I could live in the same enchanted internet world as you.

If (and this is 80% joke) you find that every argument you've ever been in has been heated and fruitless then you may want to consider that the single unifying commonality in all those debates is you. I hope that makes you chuckle and pause. :p
Oh you don't have to worry about me, my friend, I've long since given up trying to change people's minds on the internet. The other pic I could have posted instead of the one I went with was a little more offensive, containing the caption "Arguing over the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics: even if you win, you're still retarded."

But that gets even deeper into the philosophy of internet "debate" and I really don't feel like getting into. I certainly didn't intend to get into a conversation such as this for a Critical Miss comic.

As for the discussion we're currently having, I'm not saying that I never meet someone worth having a discussion with on the internet - this conversation is proof of that - but I stand by the notion that such conversations are the exception rather than the rule.

shadowmagus

Feb 2, 2011
I had to actually go and look up what was going on with Pillars of Eternity. I know exactly what part they were offended about and my only response is...

"What?"

I'm going to stop caring what other people think is bad about video games because obviously they are not as serious business to me as they are everyone else.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Actually a nice reminder that we have awesome stuff to be fighting over, and maybe we should just focus on the awesome stuff.

I don't have the energy for all the anger, and I'd hate for the things we all enjoy to be tainted by people who cant control their bile, no matter what `side` they fall on.
Nice comic. :)

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
The Wooster said:
Oddly enough, the "you're just trolling comments" always come from people who feel they're the butt of a particular joke.
Perhaps they should.
After all, comedy is irreverent, and being "offended" just means reacting to the irreverence of something one holds dear.

Everything else is just a matter of context: When, how, and to whom the joke is told.

...but I've never written a comic designed purely to annoy people.
Uh huh.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/11537-WGDF

I wonder what the analogy of the "swarm of bees" refers to.
Maybe he's just a big fan of Nicholas Cage memes?

Darth_Payn

Aug 5, 2009
Quite possibly the smartest thing I'll read all day.
Gasbandit said:
Hah, the "Can't wait to see this one on imgur with no credit" tag really slayed me. But what's the "certain other webcomic" that is generating all this apparent controversy I'm missing out on? Is it Erin Dies Alone? I didn't see anything particularly riling about that, so far...
You can apply it to any artistic expression. People will either see something in the intended message that offends them or project their own hang-ups on it just to be offended.

Hyrist

Apr 5, 2005
I...

Grey, Cory, how are you guys doing? Feeling down? You clarify that all of your comics are for laughs, but this one, I'm not laughing at. Kinda feel sad. Worried that you guys might be feeling a bit of burnout from it all, but I may be projecting.

Anyone else see the poor guy in the middle having witnessed his art torn to shreds?

I kinda feel more like the Erin in Erin dies Alone sometimes. Wanting to shut out the world and get back in touch with that feeling of childhood joy games used to bring.

Keep going at it guys. You do have at least one fan that's just going to take it at face value, just trying to find a bit of innocent enjoyment in life.

Tarfeather

May 1, 2013
Grey & Cory present the next episode of "Why be funny when you can just offend people?". Latest submission: Offend people who are offended.

EvilRoy

The face I make when I see unguarded pie.
Legacy
Jan 9, 2011
The Almighty Aardvark said:
I really like this comic. Different direction than usual, but well done nonetheless.

As mentioned on twitter, that fact that some people don't get the joke makes it all the more sweeter

EvilRoy said:
I remember Grey saying that he makes fun of Evangelion because he's a fan of it at some point in the past. So technically he's part of the fandom he's mocking
Yeah, and I get that, but a bullet is still a bullet y'know? Its not like I'm coming in here trying to be a big bad "you're a hypocrite" douche bag - I was honestly just really confused and looking for a bit of an expansion on the topic. There's nothing wrong with being partisan and taking sides and making fun - shit, most nonserialized webcomics do this, and most successful ones do it a LOT. Its basically just part and parcel of the three to six panel non-story webcomic model. You take stances, you mock, you question.

I just couldn't help but wonder when I saw the comic, like, "this is your bread and butter dudes, why is it a problem?" I can get feeling for other artists when you see them get caught in the middle of a shitty situation, but it seems weird to approach it from a standpoint that makes it look like you don't like part of your own business model.

Edit to dodge double post.
The Bucket said:
I like Eva, but a lot of fans of it really need to take themselves less seriously.
I've honestly never encountered it myself. I wasn't even certain I spelled the name right, but I wanted to use an example that wouldn't get me shouted at for being this or that political group when I don't like talking politics on the net and it isn't related to the topic anyway. Now to take a totally political stance: Megas XLR was better anyway.

The Wooster

King Snap
Jul 15, 2008
Atmos Duality said:
The Wooster said:
Perhaps they should.
After all, comedy is irreverent, and being "offended" just means reacting to the irreverence of something one holds dear.

Everything else is just a matter of context: When, how, and to whom the joke is told.

...but I've never written a comic designed purely to annoy people.
Uh huh.
http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/comicsandcosplay/comics/critical-miss/11537-WGDF

I wonder what the analogy of the "swarm of bees" refers to.
Maybe he's just a big fan of Nicholas Cage memes?
A comic strip you don't like =/= a comic strip designed to offend you.

Sleepy Sol

Feb 15, 2011
My mind was blown.

...Ok, not really, but I really like this comic. Very truthful to me.

Scars Unseen

^ ^ v v < > < > B A
May 7, 2009
Tarfeather said:
Grey & Cory present the next episode of "Why be funny when you can just offend people?". Latest submission: Offend people who are offended.
Did it work? (and I can't see why we can't have both, anyway)

The Wooster said:
A comic strip you don't like =/= a comic strip designed to offend you.
[citation needed]