An excuse for Piracy.

MrJoyless

May 26, 2010
Only if the item is in public circulation aka being played on the radio etc do i find it ok, it would be the EXACT same as if i just requested a song on the radio and recorded it, just much faster. If i want to support a musical group i attend their concert (40-50 a year atm) which nets them MUCH more money than record sales.

Where i draw the line is with games and movies, both of these mediums specifically reward the creators without any other outlet to reward them other than say box office sales which i also attend very frequently.

jaketheripper

Jan 27, 2010
i pirate to find new music and to get unreleased albums and stuff, i still buy cds tho, i just bought women and children last by the murderdolls ^_^ i love them :)

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
Pathetic.

Sometimes you buy things and they're shit, deal with it. If you can't afford to soak up the cost of the risk then wait until you can.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
Snotnarok said:
I usually pirate when there's no demo for a game, I'd like to see if my PC can run the game and I'd like to see if I like it. Being there's no return policy on games it makes it hard to try it no? So I grab a torrent and try it, if I like it, I buy it. If not why the hell would I keep the damn game on my PC?

To you silly people saying there's no excuse to pirate, there is, and I just said it. If the company wont provide a demo then I'll make my own.
That's not a real excuse. Why? Because 99 % of the times, people don't buy the real game, and besides, your argument has no legal support.

Shycte

Mar 10, 2009
James Joseph Emerald said:
I'm a dirt poor college student who survives on about one meal a day. Pirated movies are just about the only thing keeping me sane. I think of it as involuntary charitable aid. =P

Also: making a living through doing something you love is a privilege. I don't think artists (particularly mainstream musicians, actors, directors) should make any more money than say, a garbageman or cashier, who work shit jobs for a fraction of the pay.
Sounds a bit commie don't you think?

freedomweasel

Sep 24, 2010
PedroSteckecilo said:
As far as I'm concerned there are a few legitimate excuses for Piracy... but only a few.

1) It is not available in your country (but this excuse falls through when it is)
2) It is not available through any other means (say downloading an old TV show you watched as a kid that has never made it to DVD)

Pretty much the only two excuses I find palatable.
Can you not get the game into your country by ordering from ebay or finding a friendly forum friend to send it to you?
Unless your government is actively banning said game/album/movie, I don't see how this is a problem. If that's the case, you probably have more to worry about than copyrights if you get caught.

Note: I live in the US and don't have any knowledge on having things shipped across borders like this. If it's hard/impossible for some reason, feel free to explain.

WilliamRLBaker

Jan 8, 2010
so...instead of going on zune and being able to listen to full songs through streaming or even sound bytes, going to most music stores that have listening areas...ect you downloaded the album and if you used torrent helped others to download it?

you could have went online and listened to the music via youtube official linkin park pages...ect but you chose to pirate the album, didn't like it so I assume you deleted it? but if you torrented it then you helped others to download it.

So yeah your not innocent, finding out if something sucks by stealing it is not okay there are many many methods to find out of something is good or not.

Falseprophet

Jan 13, 2009
I should note in my case, bootlegging led me to spend more on music. I was a huge CD collector in the early 90s, and bought hundreds of albums. By the mid-90s, I hated everything released in the North American mainstream. I barely bought any CDs between 1996-2001. But thanks to Napster and other filesharing sites, I discovered a slew of indie bands and European bands I'd never heard of. I ended up buying a lot of CDs from these acts. These days, if I go to an indie band's concert, and like the music and they're selling their CDs at the show, I'll usually buy one.

I don't really need to do this any more. Generally most new music ends up on YouTube shortly after (or even before) its release, so it's pretty easy to try before I buy. Most bands will put samples up on MySpace or YouTube themselves anyway. Since it's now my job to buy music, I'm previewing things all the time.

I would argue "piracy" is morally acceptable in a few situations:

1) If it's in the public domain. Obviously.

2) If you make copies of something you lawfully purchased for your personal use (no selling or giving away), that's always acceptable, and I oppose any law that would criminalize the practice.

3) If it's not otherwise possible to buy the title, because it's out of print or not available in your country. In the latter case--media companies have had 15 years to get used to the idea of the global marketplace. Get with the program! If someone's not willing to sell me something that's otherwise readily available, what else am I supposed to do?

4) To oppose tyrannical regimes. If you live in a non-democratic state, reading, listening and watching things the government forbids is a noble and courageous act of resistance, and I salute you. On a lesser scale, even democracies that are too "nanny state" in orientation should be resisted. No government should have the right to control a consenting adult's access to information.

5) The artist/creator encourages it.

Re: Linkin Park. Never been a huge fan, though I like some of their music. Regarding the new album, I've only heard "The Catalyst". The lyrics are pretty stupid, but I find it musically interesting. They almost sound like an EBM/futurepop band on that one.

leonnasagawa

Dec 22, 2009
My excuse is that 95% of the stuff I buy is media (mainly anime) I have already downloaded from the Internet on to my computer, already seen or burnt onto DVD. Although I have a lot more stuff downloaded then bought, my excuse for that is, I don't have much money so the outcome is the same to me whether I download or not download meaning there is some stuff I just won't be able to buy straight away anyway, the only difference is downloading lets me see it. I'm collector, so I always buy what I download eventually unless it's something that really sucks in which case I wouldn't waste my bandwidth to download.

As for the Linkin Park album... I don't think I have heard that one yet but I respect the bands decision to take their music in a new direction like with their 3rd album. Still I really miss that power that the songs from Hybrid Theory and Meteora had, if you compare their latest music to that... Well...... In my opinion it doesn't even compare, but then again I have to listen to the other albums completely first.

milkkart

Dec 27, 2008
the original copyright laws seem a lot more reasonable to me incidentally, you got 14 years of ownership right which could be extended by another 14 after that at request after which anyone was allowed to reproduce your work i.e. it became public domain. the idea was to provide information to the public not to provide benefits to the authors. they didn't mind too much because they were used to getting a one off payment from booksellers (publishers basically). but the booksellers didn't like it much so when the copyright terms started running out they started pushing for longer and longer terms and more restrictions(remind you of a certain animation studio and their pet mouse?) and so eventually you get to the mess that makes up our current copyright law.

GRoXERs

Feb 4, 2009
Pyro Paul said:
GRoXERs said:
1. Mmm, nope. Piracy has very few legitimate excuses; just about the only morally acceptable one is pirating something after you bought it because the DRM is INSANE *coughassassinscreedcough* and won't let you play something that you paid good money for just because you don't have a reliable internet connection.
that isn't piracy legally speaking.
Lewis Galoob Toys, Inc. v. Nintendo of America, Inc., 964 F.2d 965 (9th Cir. 1992)

As long as you Own a Legal Copy the consumer is allowed to experiment and manipulate content of a game under the 'fair use' laws. manipulating the game code to bypass invasive DRM, Emulating a game system as to play games on diffrent platforms, or simply using it to create new levels or increase the difficulty...
Ah, but consumers can't own PC games anymore - you just rent a license to them. Most EULAs lay that out very clearly. By breaking or bypassing DRM, you are violating the terms of this license and so you lose your legal right to play the game. You're free to mod them all you like - that doesn't violate most games' EULAs - but god help you if you want to break the DRM.

Charcharo said:
Right you are. My bad! To be fair, it was 4 in the morning my time... I was a little sleep deprived.

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
The correct term would be "bad in your opinion". It is interesting that you use the term "has nothing of linkin park in it", because who has the right to determine that but the band themselves? It may not reflect there old style, but most artists want to grow, try new things and go new directions, or they stagnate. just so you know, I have not heard the album, and most likely wont. I have never been a linkin park fan. but I will stand against arrogant self righteous people who believe the world revolves around them and bands should continue to put out the same album year after year and never grow.

PedroSteckecilo

Mexican Fugitive
Feb 7, 2008
freedomweasel said:
PedroSteckecilo said:
As far as I'm concerned there are a few legitimate excuses for Piracy... but only a few.

1) It is not available in your country (but this excuse falls through when it is)
2) It is not available through any other means (say downloading an old TV show you watched as a kid that has never made it to DVD)

Pretty much the only two excuses I find palatable.
Can you not get the game into your country by ordering from ebay or finding a friendly forum friend to send it to you?

Note: I live in the US and don't have any knowledge on having things shipped across borders like this. If it's hard/impossible for some reason, feel free to explain.
Well a good example is Mother 3, which was never released in NA due to licensing and copyright issues with some of the content in the game. So in order to play it "legally" you would need to get a Region Free Nintendo DS or GBA, a Copy of the Game (that is now several years old) and then you would need to find a way to apply the translation patch to the cartridge itself, something that is beyond many people in terms of technical skill.

It's similar with DVD's from the UK, certain things (like a lot of the older Dr. Who stuff) just isn't available in North America, and even if you got a friend in the UK to send it to you, or you imported it, you would still need a region free DVD player to watch them (these can be quite hard to find). My sister-in-law has this problem with a lot of the stuff she brought back from Australia, as it won't work on NA DVD players. Even then you're technically bypassing standard Importing, Royalty and Licensing Laws.

Videogame and Anime Soundtracks from Japan are another good example, these are hard to legitimately acquire as they are not officially "released" in North America in many cases. But most of these can be easily imported online, so I suppose it's not a great excuse.

These are cases where I think piracy is "okay" at least, though not entirely "right" as far as properly rewarding creators goes.

Xanthious

Dec 25, 2008
In the not too distant past I used to pirate A LOT of console games. I had HDDs full of ripped Xbox games I used to swap in and out of my Xbox. Reason being, I had no flaming clue if the game was awesome or hammered shit. If I bought it and hated it that was a 50 dollars I may as well of wiped my ass with. That has since changed.

A little while back Gamestop implemented a 7 day no questions asked return policy on used games. Now I actually buy used games quite frequently. If I get bored with the game or don't like it or want the money to buy something else within seven days I'm totally covered. Truth be told, I haven't returned but a handful of titles (maybe 4 tops) but knowing that I'm not screwed if I hate the game did a great deal to get me to go legit . . . .for console titles at least.

freedomweasel

Sep 24, 2010
PedroSteckecilo said:
Well a good example is Mother 3, which was never released in NA due to licensing and copyright issues with some of the content in the game. So in order to play it "legally" you would need to get a Region Free Nintendo DS or GBA, a Copy of the Game (that is now several years old) and then you would need to find a way to apply the translation patch to the cartridge itself, something that is beyond many people in terms of technical skill.

It's similar with DVD's from the UK, certain things (like a lot of the older Dr. Who stuff) just isn't available in North America, and even if you got a friend in the UK to send it to you, or you imported it, you would still need a region free DVD player to watch them (these can be quite hard to find). My sister-in-law has this problem with a lot of the stuff she brought back from Australia, as it won't work on NA DVD players. Even then you're technically bypassing standard Importing, Royalty and Licensing Laws.

Videogame and Anime Soundtracks from Japan are another good example, these are hard to legitimately acquire as they are not officially "released" in North America in many cases. But most of these can be easily imported online, so I suppose it's not a great excuse.

These are cases where I think piracy is "okay" at least, though not entirely "right" as far as properly rewarding creators goes.
I had forgotten about all that region lock business..

I guess I would say that I see these as cases that could be "understandable" but still, not "right".