An Interesting Fact About Your Country

jyork89

Jun 29, 2010
In New Zealand it is actually illegal to have sex with sheep!!! (Shocking I know)
In a more serious tone, we are one of only two OECD countries that does not have a written constitution (the other being the UK). Couple that with the fact that apparently we have 2nd lowest rate of corruption in the world and it's a lot more amazing. Makes me wonder what exactly a written constitution actually does... (apart from letting rednecks prepare for WW3)

ZombieGenesis

Apr 15, 2009
Furious Styles said:
I come from the UK, the land of weird idiosyncrasies

We are one of only three countries to have an uncodified constitution.

Can anyone name the other two?
New Zealand and Isreal, right?

Had better be right, that's my subject.
Also on the matter of the UK; slavery was not abolished (as in, one person owning another) until 2010! Two-thousand ten. No lie.
Mostly because slavery had never actually taken off here, and segregation never happened. So it was never seen as necessary to put it in print until recently.

TheMann

Jul 13, 2010
My country contains the tallest mountain in the world, standing 10,203m from base to summit.

captaincabbage

Apr 8, 2010
Mcapplepie said:
Apparently, Australia is the fattest country in the world.

... woo Australia.
Honestly, I can't pick out anyone in my town who's overweight.

OT: As Yahtzee put it, "Welcome to Australia! Try our beer and racism!"

Treblaine

Jul 25, 2008
Furious Styles said:
Treblaine said:
But what are the technicalities if the Parliament actually invite the new monarch in who has certain (arguable) claims to the throne?

"technically" James II was considered Abdicated when he fled to France.
No, actually he fled rather than fight off what was, he knew, an unwinnable war against an invading force with massive popular support in England. He was then adjudged to have forfeited his crown and spent the rest of his life in France. It may almost be a mockery of the word invasion, but there it is. It was an invasion, just a consensual one.

And the way in which it is an invasion is that parliament could not, and cannot, appoint a king. They can ask him to stake his claim and overthrow the current king, as they did, but them simply asking him to be king does not make him king. A coup was required, so an invasion was mounted and he seized power.
Was it a coup or an invasion? Surely one or the other, and "invasion" and "consent" must be a conflict in terms.

Well since you're a lawyer, show us where in our "codified constitution" that parliament cannot appoint a king?

:D

We don't have a constitution, parliament does what it deems and has done since Cromwell. The event was not called an invasion and has not been called an invasion till very recently by who might be called revisionists. It's always been known as "The Glorious REVOLUTION".

Mechsoap

Apr 4, 2010
Do not quote me on this, but I once heard it was legal to have sex with fish here. Correct me if I am wrong.

(Denmark)

Jonluw

May 23, 2010
Norway was practically a third world country before we struck oil.
Now we're at the top of the united nations' human development list.

Also: Vikings.

willer357

Dec 22, 2008
America was founded by terrorists who often destroyed government buildings and engaged in guerrilla warfare with British soldiers sent to contain the outbreak of rebels in the 13 colonies.

freaper

snuggere mongool
Apr 3, 2010
French fries originate from my country, and people here call them Fries. We also put mayo on them (which I heard was weird in other countries).

=> Belgium

WendelI

Jan 7, 2009
Well the Dominican republic was one of the first nations in all of the Americas to be free of slaves.

RanD00M

Oct 26, 2008
We were the first country to have a female president. We are also the first country to have an openly gay prime minister.

Furious Styles

Jul 10, 2010
Treblaine said:
Was it a coup or an invasion? Surely one or the other, and "invasion" and "consent" must be a conflict in terms.
It was a bit of both, an invasion by William and a coup (well, more of a revolution, truth be told) by his supporters in England. Consent and invasion are not a contradiction in terms, and invasion, in military terms, is the incursion of a foreign army for conquest or plunder. William incurred with a foriegn army, leading a conquest of England that led to his being crowned King. It was, therefore, an invasion. While William did not use force against the British people, he did use the threat of force against the then King James which led to his being ousted and William ascending to a throne he would otherwise not have inherited.

Treblaine said:
Well since you're a lawyer, show us where in our "codified constitution" that parliament cannot appoint a king?

We don't have a constitution, parliament does what it deems and has done since Cromwell.
Parliament cannot pass legislation without the Queen's assent, heck can't even form governments without her consent (although that is a technicality). Admittedly this is an area of constitutional law that I'm not sure anyone could answer properly. Parliament, however does not do what it deems. While no parliament can bind its successors, there are such things as constitutional conventions and constitutional statutes. At present, without the express repeal of these, they cannot be contravened (just because they aren't entrenched doesn't mean they aren't binding until repeal). I am fairly certain there must be one of these somewhere within the bowels of our constitution that means that parliament cannot simply stop one person being monarch and crown another. Even Charles I was king right up until the moment they cut his head off, and he committed treason, and even when Charles II came back it was because he was invited not because he was appointed. It probably has something to do with succession laws, e.g. no roman catholic can be a monarch, sons inherit before daughters etc. I would look, but I can't be bothered as I have actual exams I'm meant to be revising for.

And we most definitely do have a constitution, don't mistake being uncodified for being non-existent.

Treblaine said:
The event was not called an invasion and has not been called an invasion till very recently by who might be called revisionists. It's always been known as "The Glorious REVOLUTION".
And the Hundred Years War lasted 116 years, what we call stuff doesn't affect what it really was. People at the time would be willing to call it anything to make it sound grand and glorious, I mean, Glorious Revolution sounds a lot better than the Dutch Invasion. In any case, I am in no way saying that by most normal standards it was an invasion, but the fact remains that a foreign force seized control of the country and overthrew the King. Just because a large section of the country wanted it and little to no resistance was offered doesn't mean it wasn't an invasion.

I'll concede that 1066 was the last "proper" invasion, but William's part in the Glorious Revolution easily falls within the definition of an invasion.

Jegsimmons

Nov 14, 2010
Mcapplepie said:
Apparently, Australia is the fattest country in the world.

... woo Australia.
apparently, my country (USA) is NOT the fattest country on Earth. Hooray!

also, my country does not use the word "State" like its dictionary definition usually describes it, due to the fact we called ourselves "States" before we became completely unified.