An Introduction To Dubstep.

The Diabolical Biz

Jun 25, 2009
leprechaunx said:
Pretty much, breakbeat and drum & bass are better than dubstep in every way
...In your opinion.

I think a lot of the people bashing it here are missing the point of the thread, that point which I illustrated quite clearly if you'd read the OP.

Either way, if you'd listed reasoning behind your opinions I'd be much more willing to appreciate and respond to your post.

I'm not even a fan of it, I just think that you should at least reason your decisions. I see too much of this already for Hip-Hop.

Canid117

Oct 6, 2009
Friggin brits and their techno music!

In all seriousness this is the third dubstep thread I have seen in a week. Is this an undercover marketing campaign or something?

No_Remainders

Sep 11, 2009
To me, dubstep is music one would listen to when doing a boring, repetitive and menial job.

It's not fun.

MaxwellEdison

Sep 30, 2010
Phlakes said:
Meh. Some guy was like "hey guys dubstep is so cool" so everyone else was like "hey guys dubstep is so cool". It's just a meme, don't even worry about it. In a couple months, the only people who will remember it are the people who think "the cake is a lie" is funny.
...Really? I seriously hope you're joking and you are actually able to comprehend musical taste as a concept.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009

Glitchstep artist. This guy's so awesome, that if I type "win" into the url bar, it directs me to this song.

Bags159 said:
I have yet to hear any dubstep that is more than mindless base.

Amphoteric said:
It all sounds the same to me. I find it incredibly boring to listen to.
This. My friend was trying to get me to listen to it and it sounded like he kept linking me the same song over and over. Same deal with abstractjuggler's links.
Both of yous take a look at the video I embedded, it's nothing like your standard dubstep (id est 1 minute of some shitty hiphop beat then some wobbles at different frequencies, rinse and repeat), and it's probably the best place to start if you're looking for some more legit stuff in the genre.

Lt. Vinciti

Nov 5, 2009
Phlakes said:
Meh. Some guy was like "hey guys dubstep is so cool" so everyone else was like "hey guys dubstep is so cool". It's just a meme, don't even worry about it. In a couple months, the only people who will remember it are the people who think "the cake is a lie" is funny.
Thats a lot people...sorta...

Also...

What is a dubstep...and why is it ruining nice things?

Not a Troll!
Serious Question!

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Ti said:
My Most Listened To:
YES! OH MY GOD!!! *sick drop* love it ^_^

An oldie, but one of the ones that got me hooked. Though I am assured by youtube that "it's so over-rated"

Gotta be the most over-used, but it is fantastic.

I'm seeing comments about "Bassnectar" around, guess I'd better check him out too...

Only thing is there's so much crap out there - some of it's little better than DnB with the bass turned up; if I want the same beat for the entire damn song then I'd be listening to RnB, not Dub. The bass, the distortion, the drops - oh man, a good Dubstep tune is all about the drop that rips your speakers a new one (or at least, that's what I go looking for) ^_^

My favourite songs never stick with the same beat for too long - more than 8-16 bars of the same riff and I tend to start skipping tracks.

Mute52

Sep 22, 2009
I've liked it and similar genres of electronica music, but recently it became really popular.

Phlakes said:
Pretty much this

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Dexiro said:
Is Dubstep itself not just an intro to better electronic music?
What do you think is better electronic music? I must admit to not exactly being well educated about the music scene but then again it's all subjective. Where does one progress to from Mt Eden and Skrillex and their ilk?

garfoldsomeoneelse

Charming, But Stupid
Mar 22, 2009
Here are a handful of my favorites. I've tried to include a diverse selection, and each of these is well-worth a listen if you're a fan or even a little bit curious about the genre.

Anybody looking for a tour-de-force of dubstep should head over to Grooveshark [http://www.grooveshark.com] and search "Excision Shambhala 2009".

EDIT: If you don't have some decently punchy speakers hooked up to your computer, you're not going to get much out of dubstep in general, since the lower ranges of the songs are generally going to go unheard (or, rather, un-felt). There's a world of difference between having these pulse through you at the club while rolling face, and casually listening on some tin-can speakers.

leprechaunx

Oct 9, 2010
The Diabolical Biz said:
leprechaunx said:
Pretty much, breakbeat and drum & bass are better than dubstep in every way
...In your opinion.

I think a lot of the people bashing it here are missing the point of the thread, that point which I illustrated quite clearly if you'd read the OP.

Either way, if you'd listed reasoning behind your opinions I'd be much more willing to appreciate and respond to your post.

I'm not even a fan of it, I just think that you should at least reason your decisions. I see too much of this already for Hip-Hop.
Yea, fair enough.

To me, modern dubstep just isn't music. It has just become a mish mash of bass sounds and sparse drums with often very little musical direction or progression made for all the gurning club ravers.
Pretty much anyone who was into dubstep from a few years ago or earlier will tell you that the state it is in today, it is barely 'dubstep' anymore, it's all just gash brostep.

Personally, it has never grabbed me.
Breaks and drum & bass have lots of similarities with dubstep, and indeed are heavily influenced by each other, but I much prefer them.

That being said, as with any genre there are definitely some good tracks made by brilliant producers.
Try some Specimen A or Pyramid (both also produce breaks) and I have found Flux Pavilion has some pretty good material.

Wicky_42

Sep 15, 2008
Daniel Allsopp said:
To me dubstep sounds like a really old printer: robotic whirrs, and the occasional thump. I don't see the appeal.
For me it's all about the drops and the wild abandon of the heavily computer distorted break that follows, though admittedly the songs that actually scratch that itch can be few and far between if you just go through a full album of one artist.

Then again, you try listening through a DnB artist's album and it all gets samey pretty quickly - Pendulum being a case in point, using the same damn drum rhythm in 99% of their tunes. The real gems are few and far between, but that's the same with every genre - classical, indie, dub, rock, whatever. Huge seas of mediocrity and crap with a few mind-blowing gems washed up on the shore - and thanks to the power of the internet, it doesn't take much searching to find the gems, thank god!

Alade

Ego extravaganza
Aug 10, 2008
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEyeilDOkm0

That introduced me to Dubstep, it's an awesome track.

Pyro Paul

Dec 7, 2007
dubstep is horrible.

i would barely classify it as music to be honost... most of it is little more then static and white noise. Honostly, a great majority of 'dubstep' pushes the tonal range which is acctually uncomfortable or painful to most people. And a great many more then that throw simple concepts such as music theory out the window

it is audio confusing, hardly ever flows, and commits so many musical no-nos that it is litterally painful for me to listen to most itterations of dubstep.

ChromeAlchemist

Aug 21, 2008
Considering the listening habits of The Escapist, I'm surprised you've gotten anything so far. Be thankful.

Anyway, some of my favourite tracks come from Mt. Eden Dubstep. They produce some good stuff. Since We're on a gaming site, I may as well start you with Lisa Miskovsky's Still Alive.

http://www.youtube.com/user/MtEdenDnB08#p/u/28/FDYIdBZUl2Y

Check the playlist and see what you like, if anything.

Also, UKF Dubstep promote all the latest stuff from a lot of artists.

http://www.youtube.com/user/UKFDubstep?blend=1&ob=5

The Diabolical Biz said:
(to break the cycle of Hip-Hop/Classical I've got going, at least).
This is NEVER a bad thing.

Canid117 said:
Friggin brits and their techno music!

In all seriousness this is the third dubstep thread I have seen in a week. Is this an undercover marketing campaign or something?
Yes.

And you're just jealous, or something. :)