Analyst: Activison Could Have Charged More for Stimulus Pack

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
I bought it, and I think that it was a little bit expensive, but I did have the money available and wanted to play the new maps. Its a bit like I am with books, the prices have gone up, but I still really enjoy reading a good book even though it now costs me £2 more than it used to, however I can afford to buy the book so I do. If I couldn't have afforded it I would have lived without, but I don't think I'd have enjoyed spending the ~£10 on anything else quite as much. Doesn't mean that I agree with the pricing policy, just that I am willing to accept that, unfortunately, if the market will pay a certain amount then they will charge that amount and no amount of whining will change that.

VanBasten

Aug 20, 2009
d319tm said:
Doesn't mean that I agree with the pricing policy, just that I am willing to accept that, unfortunately, if the market will pay a certain amount then they will charge that amount and no amount of whining will change that.
You do realize that you are a part of "the market", don't you?
And the way to disagree with the pricing policy is not to buy something if you think it's overpriced.
Just saying that you disagree with the pricing policy then buying it anyway is actually agreeing with the pricing policy and then pretending as if some others are to blame for the fact that they can get away with raising the price, which is kinda hypocritical.

DancePuppets

Nov 9, 2009
VanBasten said:
d319tm said:
Doesn't mean that I agree with the pricing policy, just that I am willing to accept that, unfortunately, if the market will pay a certain amount then they will charge that amount and no amount of whining will change that.
You do realize that you are a part of "the market", don't you?
And the way to disagree with the pricing policy is not to buy something if you think it's overpriced.
Just saying that you disagree with the pricing policy then buying it anyway is actually agreeing with the pricing policy and then pretending as if some others are to blame for the fact that they can get away with raising the price, which is kinda hypocritical.
I realise that I am the market, but I did want to play the extra map packs and I could afford it, so I chose to do so. Doesn't mean that I don't think it was overpriced, just that I am currently lucky enough to have enough disposable income that paying £2 more than usual for a map pack doesn't have an effect on my standard of living. A bit like choosing to go to a posh bar to buy the same drink you could get elsewhere but at a stupid markup just because you want the drink but can't get to the other retailer, however, in this case, there is no other retailer.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
Buy a map pack?

Never again. NEVER AGAIN will I buy a MP-only map pack for any game.

MP-only DLC of any kind, is the biggest ripoff in the world.

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
I didn't buy it. I hate how they want me to buy a map pack to keep playing with the rest of the community.

GodKlown

Dec 16, 2009
Wasn't MW2 the first game to cost more when it released than any other for PC?
All Activision had to do was look at the XBL numbers and see how many idiots were playing the game at any given time. With over 200,000 years' worth of time already spent playing that game online, they clearly could have charged just as much as they did for the full game for that map pack, and the sheep would have paid it. Why? I ask and shout the question WHY?
I haven't played a CoD game since CoD2 (came with my 360 back in '06), and I found the game rather boring. Why do you play this game with people who are at least approaching the level of addiction seen in WoW? Is it really that exciting to shoot strangers in the head, game after game, with only a few minor changes made between games?
Maybe I'm just getting to old to understand the appeal of such things anymore.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I fucking hate my fellow gamers right now. They complain about the modern warfare 2 price hike(its a linear 6 hour long game you bastards!), then buy it anyway, setting what could be precedent. Knowing they can get away with it Activision then hike up DLC prices $15 dollars for 3 new maps and 2 old ones?, again gamers complain but buy it regardless! we are digging our own dam graves here.

Kawatoo

Feb 13, 2009
Activision was running 'short' on money so they released some DLC to 'raise' their profit.
We all know Kotick is getting 50% of the cut.

Generic_Dave

Prelate Invigilator
Jul 15, 2009
I didn't buy it, lost interest in MW2 about a week after I bought it and re-sold it. But my mate got the Stimulus pack and he thought it was over priced, but ponied up anyway because he didn't want to be split from the community.

And the analyst misses a point with his "right price or bargain" comment, you can pay for something and still feel royally screwed over. Just because you pay up doesn't mean you think its worth the cost.