Analyst: Black Ops Could Sell 12 Million Copies

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
Which IW situation are you talking about. The fact that there's hardly any of them, the fact that the ones that are left are too lazy to patch the game or the fact that they're all greedy bastards?
The first one. I don't even think the second one is true, seeing how 74% of designers and scripters are gone and 80% of engineers are gone. So, they might not be as lazy as they can't do it.
I'm sure that creating a proper barebones playlist (it would make everyone happy i.e no noobtubes, no commando etc.) should be well within the reach of 20% of engineers and 26% of the scripters and designers. Hell, if bloody modders can do it then why can't they?

May 25, 2010
coldalarm said:
CoD7 could sell 12m, just as I could turn into a jellyfish right now.
It's "Call of Duty". That alone sells about 10m. And since it might be a good game another 2m isn't all that hard. Now go turn into a jellyfish.

Tom Phoenix

Mar 28, 2009
Logan Westbrook said:
It's never easy having an older brother, and it's even harder when he's incredibly successful and everyone loves him.
Ironically, the PC crowd already has more reason to like Black Ops then it does Modern Warfare 2.

Having said that, I do agree with the analyst that Black Ops will probably not be able to match the success of it's predecessor. Unlike Modern Warfare 2, Black Ops has a lot of things going against it. Besides the competition provided by the Medal of Honor reboot, the weaker marketing campaign and the Infinity Ward controvery that has a lot of people up in arms against Activision, Treyarch also, throughout the years, earned itself the reputation of being a studio that produces "inferior spin-offs" of the main Call of Duty line by Infinity Ward. For that reason, a lot of people might decide not to purchase the game under the belief that a Treyarch Call of Duty game can never be as good as one by Infinity Ward.

In spite of this, though, Black Ops is a big opportunity for Treyarch to finally get rid of it's ill reputation of producing cheap knock-off titles and step into the limelight as a legitimate triple-AAA studio. If the game succeeds, it could represent a turn of tables and change the viewpoint of many people, making them turn to Treyarch for the creation of high quality Call of Duty titles.

vivalahelvig

Jun 4, 2009
Lagao said:
I remember the good ol days of CoD 1 and CoD 2.
No kiddies, its not modern warfare 1 and 2.

I'm talking about the good games! Before they sucked
i have the cds of cod1 and cod:UO, in a special box set kinda dealio,that game got kinda annoying in multi cuz you didnt start out with full mp40 ammo.

Dyp100

Jul 14, 2009
Once I hear there is red zombie, it's a buy for me.

Though, still wondering if the gameplay will be like WaW or like MW2.

yankeefan19

Mar 20, 2009
It'll be just like World at war: It'll sell well but nowhere near the one before it because, for some reason, people don't like Treyarch games (which I never got, as Big Red One and CoD3 where 2 of my favorites in the series). My only hope is that they have a large campaign, because I love CoD campaign, but I hate CoD multiplayer.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Its only natural that this type of game would expect to sell that many mainly because there's many people out there that just buy the game for the sake of it being a COD game.

I myself have played many COD games for a long while and have decided that since this new one is pretty much a revisit to vietnam i'm going to sit out of this game maybe until the next FPS that actually becomes groundbreaking in any aspect.

Amphoteric

Jun 8, 2010
I really don't understand why anyone wil get excited about this. Its not like there hasn't been 100000 FPS games before. It will just be another generic game with no outstanding features.

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Amphoteric said:
I really don't understand why anyone wil get excited about this. Its not like there hasn't been 100000 FPS games before. It will just be another generic game with no outstanding features.
And thats exactly why 70-80% of the market buys the game.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Well, I can prolly see it will be successful in the sales...due to the fact it is a coD game...and every stoner with a 360 will want to play it...

But, time will tell if I will actually buy it yet

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
I won't be playing this game because i know exactly what will happen:

1) online servers start to crap out for the first few days. People end up getting annoyed at frequent DC's.

2) there are many idiots out there that love to exploit glitches to show how big their e-dick is.

3)the map packs will be released so many many months after at really stupid prices and naturally people will give in and buy them while a small collect of people may not.

4) there will be many of the COD hardcore genre that will boast to no end at how awesome this game is just like MW2 and halo before it.

Drexlor

Feb 23, 2010
If they put more emphasis on the campaign then it makes my wishlist. I can easily see 12 million copies selling.

Last Valiance

Jun 26, 2010
Despite the fanboys and the hype, Halo is still a good series, and at least their sequels (ODST excluded, but they even admitted it was more of an expansion pack, as shown by the lowered price) are given an overhaul each time, instead of having the same game 3, and soon to be 4 times in a row from the CoD franchise. Halo has a decent campaign, though it is very much style over substance (or at least story; it is long enough imo), and solid multiplayer mechanics that give great, albeit a little arcade-ish, gameplay.

Back to Black Ops:
It won't sell as well as MW2, and imo, CoD is simply running on hype now as most people are seem sick of CoD games, but will still buy the next one because "everyone else will". They should do what ubisoft plan to do with the AC series and wait a couple of years before releasing the next game, allowing the hype to build up again.
If there is another CoD game next year, it will sell drastically less than Black Ops unless Black Ops is a big success (as in, real big).

Shadow-Phoenix

Mar 22, 2010
Last Valiance said:
Despite the fanboys and the hype, Halo is still a good series, and at least their sequels (ODST excluded, but they even admitted it was more of an expansion pack, as shown by the lowered price) are given an overhaul each time, instead of having the same game 3, and soon to be 4 times in a row from the CoD franchise. Halo has a decent campaign, though it is very much style over substance (or at least story; it is long enough imo), and solid multiplayer mechanics that give great, albeit a little arcade-ish, gameplay.

Back to Black Ops:
It won't sell as well as MW2, and imo, CoD is simply running on hype now as most people are seem sick of CoD games, but will still buy the next one because "everyone else will". They should do what ubisoft plan to do with the AC series and wait a couple of years before releasing the next game, allowing the hype to build up again.
If there is another CoD game next year, it will sell drastically less than Black Ops unless Black Ops is a big success (as in, real big).
Thats exactly why i hate COD games the past few years they release one year after year and the hype to me is so much stale as it was for halo.

On the other hand yes they should do what Ubisoft did for Asassins Creed because they also developed their Uplay system that actually rewards the gamer with in game free stuff and not costing a penny at all to the gamers expense wheras with COD i would have to part with up to £15 per map pack to slightly enjoy 6 new maps and dislike having bought 4 old maps.

johnman

Oct 14, 2008
I like how that Treyarch are getting much more support now that everyone hates Activision and IW's a shell. A sign of Bordom with the series?

I wont be buying, I havent bought any COD since my trip to ASDA last week (terriable pun I know)
In all seriousness though Call of Duty 2 is still the best by far, the one ones fail to impress me at all.

RowdyRodimus

Apr 24, 2010
Now that they have a number, if it doesn't make it then they will pull out the good old "Pirates is killing us" card no matter how good or bad the game might be.

Skops

Mar 9, 2010
This will still sell big, but i think a lot of people were extremely disappointed in MW2 and won't come back since BC2 was much much better.

JourneyThroughHell

Sep 21, 2009
Stranger of Sorts said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
Which IW situation are you talking about. The fact that there's hardly any of them, the fact that the ones that are left are too lazy to patch the game or the fact that they're all greedy bastards?
The first one. I don't even think the second one is true, seeing how 74% of designers and scripters are gone and 80% of engineers are gone. So, they might not be as lazy as they can't do it.
I'm sure that creating a proper barebones playlist (it would make everyone happy i.e no noobtubes, no commando etc.) should be well within the reach of 20% of engineers and 26% of the scripters and designers. Hell, if bloody modders can do it then why can't they?
Because... I have no idea?
I mean, I don't really know what the current issues are (haven't played MW2 multiplayer in ages)...
What is "commando" anyway? Or "noobtubes"?