Analyst: Black Ops Could Sell 12 Million Copies

Banana Phone Man

Elite Member
May 19, 2009
I won't be one of those 12 million. I think I've had enough of CoD for now. CoD 4 was new and a unique take on it. WaW was basicly a copy and paste job with a lump of mud thrown at the camera for the gritty feeling. MW2 was just CoD4 on speed. It was also quite annoying. I have the terrible feeling that Black Opps is going to be, yet again a copy and paste job so I won't be getting it. If it has been completely reworked to be new and invenive I may look into it.

It will sell well though because it's what all the "cool kids" will be doing it and everyone has it.

CpnBeef

May 19, 2008
As a yearly release i find CoD is going the way of all yearly releases (mostly sport games) and eventually the new features will be a new campaign and several new types of laser sights or something awful like that.

The only thing keeping the game even slightly fresh is the change in developer which on one side keep the series from finding a single base and running but keeps the change in features and appearance appearing from year to year.

thethingthatlurks

Feb 16, 2010
It might sell that well, but does anybody really care? If it's good, more annoying 12 year olds in multiplayer, if it's bad...more annoying 12 year olds in multiplayer.
Of course, I'd love for Treyarch to produce a good game, just so they can rid themselves of the stigma of only producing mediocre games

Jonny49

Mar 31, 2009
coldalarm said:
CoD7 could sell 12m, just as I could turn into a jellyfish right now.
Black Ops could be the biggest pile of shit this side of Europa and it would probably still break the 5 million mark.

WaywardHaymaker

Aug 21, 2009
Meh. I still think the only reason MW2 sold so well was because CoD 4 was just so good. I mean, I started playing CoD 4 instead of lamenting over its lost glory and it was STILL awesome. Better than MW2, even.

Anyway, Black Ops. No. Do not want. I'm so sick of Call of Duty now, after three consecutive years of the same exact game. I'll be buying Halo: Reach for my shooter fix.

EDIT: And obviously Black Ops could sell 12 million. Because you forget, it isn't Black Ops. It's CoD 7. I could make a game with Game Maker 7 and put it on a floppy disc and say it's Call of Duty and at LEAST sell twenty copies.

Stranger of Sorts

Individual #472
Aug 23, 2009
JourneyThroughHell said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
JourneyThroughHell said:
Stranger of Sorts said:
Which IW situation are you talking about. The fact that there's hardly any of them, the fact that the ones that are left are too lazy to patch the game or the fact that they're all greedy bastards?
The first one. I don't even think the second one is true, seeing how 74% of designers and scripters are gone and 80% of engineers are gone. So, they might not be as lazy as they can't do it.
I'm sure that creating a proper barebones playlist (it would make everyone happy i.e no noobtubes, no commando etc.) should be well within the reach of 20% of engineers and 26% of the scripters and designers. Hell, if bloody modders can do it then why can't they?
Because... I have no idea?
I mean, I don't really know what the current issues are (haven't played MW2 multiplayer in ages)...
What is "commando" anyway? Or "noobtubes"?
Ahhhh, I envy the fact that you are no longer plagued by such evils.

Buizel91

Autobot
Aug 25, 2008
To be fair to Treyarch, they do a better service than IW

For COD 4, 1 map pack was released, for COD WAW about 4 were released with at least 3-4 maps int hat pack including a zombie map. And a remake of a popular map. At least they keep the game going, even if it does cost a little.

I really hope Treyarch can pull this off, if they can, i have a feeling it will be an amazing game, hopefully they will be fair to the PC crowd, and i also hope they fix the bugs before release, with lets say...a Demo or Beta? *Hint Hint Cough Cough IW!*

The Ambrosian

Paperboy
May 9, 2009
rated pg said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
Not to mention they removed the campaign co-op, and I really don't understand taking a step BACKWARDS from your previous game in such a way.
I thought they were adding back in coop campaign for Black Ops? 4 player unless I'm mistaken...
Someone's probably already resolved this, but no.
It wasn't in MW2 and they're keeping it that way.
Meh I didn't like the WaW Co-op anyway.

Silver Patriot

Aug 9, 2008
Logan Westbrook said:
Despite his revised projection, however, Wilson doesn't believe that Black Ops will beat its predecessors sales figures, citing "competition, weaker marketing, and the Infinity Ward situation" as the primary factors for this.
I didn't know what competition he was talking about so I looked it up on Wikipedia.

September said:
Fable III
Tron: Evolution
Gran Turismo 5
DC Universe Online
Call of Duty: Black Ops
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit
Lego Star Wars III: The Clone Wars
LittleBigPlanet 2
That is not to bad. I see maybe four games I want and I probably won't pick two of them up until after Christmas. Let me look at the upcoming months.

October said:
Enslaved: Odyssey to the West
NBA 2K11
Medal of Honor
EA Sports MMA
Fallout: New Vegas
Vanquish
F.E.A.R. 3
WWE SmackDown vs Raw 2011
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
The Sims 3
Lego Universe
Ok ok. MoH, Fallout, Star Wars, I got that. Not to bad.

November said:
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions
Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep
NHL 11
NHL Slapshot
Front Mission Evolved
Two Worlds II
Halo: Reach
Epic Mickey
Pokémon Black and White
Civilization V
Test Drive Unlimited 2
True Crime: Hong Kong
F1 2010
Sonic Colours
Dead Rising 2
Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock
Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja Storm 2
Final Fantasy XIV
And together that adds up to me being broke.

Mysnomer

Nov 11, 2009
arc1991 said:
To be fair to Treyarch, they do a better service than IW

For COD 4, 1 map pack was released, for COD WAW about 4 were released with at least 3-4 maps int hat pack including a zombie map. And a remake of a popular map. At least they keep the game going, even if it does cost a little.
Yes, because it isn't like they were on some sort of insane development regimen where they had to pump out a game every two years. And it isn't like Treyarch can just copy and paste IW work and then put a shiny new coat on it...oh wait...

EDIT: Also, CoD:4 was moddable on PC, correct? Well, the way I look at it, PC has always been IW main target, while consoles are Treyarch's focus. So IW wouldn't be as concerned about Map Packs b/c PC gamers can make and distribute their own, but Treyarch, with a more console-heavy focus, will provide more support in the form of Map packs, b/c that the only way console players are going to get them.

Disclaimer: this is not a fanboy post, this is an anti-fanboy post. I have no preference (not having play any Treyarch CoDs yet), but I dislike the polarizing effect the two studios have, and people need to realize that a lot of the shortcomings of the games were probably the fault of Activision's "livestock development plan" in which you treat developers like milk producing cattle rather than human beings.

cainx10a

May 17, 2008
I preferred IWnet matchmaking over Dedicated Servers which as far as I remember in CoD4 was almost hardcore or had the player limit way above what the map could support. Both were features that ruined the game, and was just a spam fest that didn't make much sense after the 10th Air Strike.

Not to mention, with matchmaking, I could play the gameplay I wanted, when I wanted. It was annoying having only a selection of Vanilla TDM in CoD4 while only Europeans servers seemed to play objective oriented games like Sabotage or Domination.

It was just plain stupid, hopefully that won't be the case with Black Ops, or I won't bother getting this. Hell, I am already having huge amount of fun with Bad Company 2 at the moment, thanks to the fact that there are a great amount of vanilla servers for both conquest and rush.

I hate 'hardcore' modes for these games. Doesn't even come close to ARMA 2 MP experience.

imgunagitusucka

Apr 20, 2010
Going up against MoH, Halo:Reach, BC2:Veitnam, and pulling the MW2 faithful away from their baby, and with games like Brink, Crysis2 and Rage on the forseeable horizon, this game won't have the impact or the sustained popularity teyarch needs to improve their reputation. Plus it'll probably be shit.

jpoon

Mar 26, 2009
I certainly hope this guy is way off. I would love to see it sell for shit. I won't be buying a copy I can guarantee that...

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
May I ask the simple and obvious question of "Why?"

Activision's "annuilzation" plan is running out of steam (as I predicted I'll arrogantly add). It's great for short term sales boosts, but people seeing sequel after sequel of the same fucking game again and again ... I just don't see them keeping the core audience, unless they're trying to shift to the same kind of people who buy sports games every year.

For anyone else, has the name "X Hero" where X is DJ, or Guitar or any other instrument become synonymous with "Don't care; ignore"? After Call of Duty: Black Ops I have a feeling that's going to be how a lot of people see the CoD franchise if they don't already.

Weaver

Overcaffeinated
Apr 28, 2008
DJmagma said:
what activision doesn't understand is, no one fucking cares about call of duty. all we want is modern warfare, we really don't give a shit about the others.

hell, everyone who like world at war just liked Nazi zombies.
Man, CoD and CoD 2 were GREAT.

Meoith

Jun 18, 2010
Jezzascmezza said:
I'll buy if it features a zombie mode.
It would be cool if the zombies faces could be replaced with Bobby Koticks face, then id definitely buy it.

Jezzascmezza

Aug 18, 2009
Meoith said:
Jezzascmezza said:
I'll buy if it features a zombie mode.
It would be cool if the zombies faces could be replaced with Bobby Koticks face, then id definitely buy it.
Submit that idea to EA and they'll probably use it in their next medal of honor game.