Analyst Calls PSP Go a "Ripoff"

Vanguard_Ex

Mar 19, 2008
I'll admit it's pretty damn pricey, for something that isn't that different. Although I'll also admit I don't know the intimate details so if someone can correct me, please do.

Jordan Deam

Jan 11, 2008
Digital downloads don't always equal convenience. Dropping the UMD is a smart move for Sony, but my experience with the PSN infrastructure has been terrible. Extremely long download times, followed by long installs, not to mention the hassle of simply setting up my account. (It took two days to enter a payment method because PSN wouldn't recognize the format of my street address.) That experience on the PS3 would make me very hesitant to buy this, even if it is more convenient than carrying a disc around.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
Jordan Deam said:
Digital downloads don't always equal convenience. Dropping the UMD is a smart move for Sony, but my experience with the PSN infrastructure has been terrible. Extremely long download times, followed by long installs, not to mention the hassle of simply setting up my account. (It took two days to enter a payment method because PSN wouldn't recognize the format of my street address.) That experience on the PS3 would make me very hesitant to buy this, even if it is more convenient than carrying a disc around.
Slow download speeds? I download at a solid 1.25 MB/s and that's my estimated max download band max (10 Mb/s = 1.25 MB/s). I don't think the problem was server side, it probably had to do with your connection. I never had any kind of problems setting up my account, but I don't have a special address situation either.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Jumplion said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
mikecoulter said:
Sony has to try and make money somehow. It's called business.
And there is a difference between good business and bad business, and this, according to popular belief, is bad business.
How is trying to just get some damn money a bad business decision?
Well we all remember how Enron tried to "get some damn money" and look how that turned out. Granted releasing the PSP Go at a price well above what it should be to most people is a lot different than book-cooking, in that Sony isn't doing anything illegal (...this time*). However let me try and get myself back on topic.

Sony can easily make money the way every other video game company has (in theory), through licensing fees and royalties, especially in this new digital model. Sure the console will be sold at a loss, but the profit from game sales will (again in theory) offset it. Now maybe this doesn't work anymore, in fact it may very well not given how the price of games have shot up recently, but through digital distrubution you can actually cut out some expenses like packaging, hence driving down the cost of games and...well i'm just trying one's patience now.

Simply put I have no real proof as to whether or not the PSP Go is a ripoff, but the fact it's $80 than the current iteration of the normal PSP despite not having a UMD drive leads me to believe something isn't quite right there.

*DISCLAIMER: I have absolutely zero proof that Sony has ever done anything illegal. I'm sure they've come close with a lot of the false advertising they've generated under false pretenses, but that's a grey area. This was merely a joke.

Crash486

Oct 18, 2008
AceDiamond said:
Jumplion said:
ChromeAlchemist said:
mikecoulter said:
Sony has to try and make money somehow. It's called business.
And there is a difference between good business and bad business, and this, according to popular belief, is bad business.
How is trying to just get some damn money a bad business decision?
Well we all remember how Enron tried to "get some damn money" and look how that turned out. Granted releasing the PSP Go at a price well above what it should be to most people is a lot different than book-cooking, in that Sony isn't doing anything illegal (...this time*). However let me try and get myself back on topic.

Sony can easily make money the way every other video game company has (in theory), through licensing fees and royalties, especially in this new digital model. Sure the console will be sold at a loss, but the profit from game sales will (again in theory) offset it. Now maybe this doesn't work anymore, in fact it may very well not given how the price of games have shot up recently, but through digital distrubution you can actually cut out some expenses like packaging, hence driving down the cost of games and...well i'm just trying one's patience now.

Simply put I have no real proof as to whether or not the PSP Go is a ripoff, but the fact it's $80 than the current iteration of the normal PSP despite not having a UMD drive leads me to believe something isn't quite right there.

*DISCLAIMER: I have absolutely zero proof that Sony has ever done anything illegal. I'm sure they've come close with a lot of the false advertising they've generated under false pretenses, but that's a grey area. This was merely a joke.
fanboying it up a little there aren't we? They're not doing anything illegal (this time) eh? When have they ever?

All this talk about it being cheaper to produce and priced higher is all speculation without hard figures to back it up. Solid state hard drives (flash memory) is still pretty expensive vs most disc readers. If I'm not mistaken, i think the screen on the go is a little bit larger than that of the 3000.

-Seraph-

May 19, 2008
Well I do agree 250 bucks is a little steep, quite frankly it should be in the 150-200 dollar margin. I also heard that they are still debating the price so 250 MIGHT not be final but don't take my word on that. Also, NO they are not dropping the damn UMD, I made a thread about this a few days ago. Sony is working on a service for UMD owners to be able to get digital versions of their UMD games for free. That and they even said at the conference that even when the go comes out, devs will be distributing ALL games on UMD AND digital. So UMD aint goin anywhere as there's 50 million users shit out of luck.

As for the piracy issue...well there is no doubt the go will be hacked eventually but it's going to be a whole lot harder. First off, the 3000 is still rather unhackable, there have been some breakthroughs but thus far it's still rather secure. Second of all, the go is gonna be WAY harder since the general premise of hacking a PSP is manipulating the battery THEN uploading software. You can't do it any other way right now, and the go is like the DS in the fact that it has a built in internal battery. It'll be hacked eventually but it'll take far longer, hell the 3000 has been out for almost a year and it's held up.

Crash486 said:
If I'm not mistaken, i think the screen on the go is a little bit larger than that of the 3000.
nope, it's half an inch smaller than the other PSP screens, although it still maintains the same resolution as every other PSP. Sony's trying to go for portability, so everything is smaller, but hey half an inch is nothing too bad. Normal PSP screen - 4.3 inches, PSPgo screen - 3.8 inches

3LANCER

Sep 11, 2008
In my country PSP 3000 is 348$ so I don't see the reason for complaining about PSP Go-s price (yet it's scary how rest of the galaxy has lower prices than my country)

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
Wait...Patcher said something logical...?

I need to lie down for a second...

D_987

Jun 15, 2008
3LANCER said:
In my country PSP 3000 is 348$ so I don't see the reason for complaining about PSP Go-s price (yet it's scary how rest of the galaxy has lower prices than my country)
In that case imagine how expensive the Go! will be in your country...

Giolon

Mar 31, 2009
There was some talk that Sony had said that selling the PSP Go will be made "worth retailers' while". This lead to the speculation that at least some of the increased price is going to retailers to improve their margins on the units themselves, since they wouldn't be making money selling the games. Now, that doesn't change the fact that it's a ripoff for the consumer, but it could help explain the higher price when, on the face of things (removing a complex piece of machinery), it looks like it should be sold cheaper.

PhantomCritic

May 9, 2009
Well if you already have a psp(original, slim or 3000) it basically is a rip-off because you are basically paying for the same thing but with a slidy feature(ohh!) plus with a price tag with a higher number on it, just what I always wanted. -_-.

Hiroshi Mishima

Sep 25, 2008
Wow, this sure makes me wanna go out and price original PSPs in the hopes they will become dirt cheap, eh? It probably won't happen, but you never know. Or I can just wait a while longer and PSP emulators will be available on the internet. Then I can finally play those like.. two or three games I was curious about without having to pay for a portable console I never liked for 2 or 3 games.

Oh, and while I am a fan of the DS, I'm not a fan of the Lite or DSi. I think the DSLite is too freaking hard to hold sometimes because of the button placement, although the power switch is in a better location. And the DSi is absolutely useless to me. I don't need a handheld with cameras, nor do I wanna pay MORE money for yet another iteration of a handheld I already have. It was bad enough when my DS broke and Nintendo forced me to pay for a DSLite because broken hinges (a design flaw I might add) aren't covered under warrenty, which I'd just renewed. :/

Basically what that last bit meant was that simple because I can't stand the PSP doesn't mean I don't dislike other consoles/handhelds, even ones I own.

SinisterDeath

Nov 6, 2006
Tenmar said:
Yeah I find that consumer awareness in the video game industry is on the two extremes. Either you are a person buying games and consoles for someone and don't know the internal value of the product or you are the person buying games because it is your passion and know the value of what you get for what you pay.

I do find the cost a bit high for the amount of memory they are offering in the device. If they were offering about 32 or 64 gigs of memory and/or an expandable memory slot to increase the amount of space (SD or pro duo doesn't matter) then I would be perfectly fine with the 250 dollar price.

The reason is that this handheld is going to be 100% digital downloads via PSN. Consumers will not physically own the product and if said account gets banned there goes all the games which no consumer really wants which is why people like physically owning a product or have the product come in seperate parts. If something breaks down one can figure out on their own which part it is, fix or replace the part and then get back up and running. Much like Apple products if the device is broken there is no way for the individual consumer to figure out how to get the device back up and running, you literally have to rely on the company and have them fix the broken product and they will charge you a fee to fix said device.

I'm slowly accepting digital services like Steam for games I don't mind not owning physically but must have games I still NEED that physical disc knowing that I can replace a device and still have the game or replace the game and still have the device.
Unless to access the game it requires some kind of 'login' access.

Low Key

May 7, 2009
The_root_of_all_evil said:
Obviously this video has no relevance to the topic:

You have to hand it to them though, that is a pretty accurate description of most electronics these days. The wonders of technology...

Sunfirecross

Oct 17, 2008
I already knew this as soon as the price was revealed. But thank you Micheal Pachter for adressing this. For some reason this guy knows what hes talking about most of the time. Someone amidst the darkness of rumors and confusion you can trust more than the others.