Analyst Predicts 3 Million Kinects Shipped This Year

HK_01

Jun 1, 2009
Where do all these analysts come from? What's the source of their authority? Do they have any qualifications? Why do we listen to them?

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
Actually, I have a sneaking feeling it's going to fly off e shelves. Hell even I'm now interested and I hated the bloody thing. But if I can control my 360 with voice and just wave to choice a movie. Then I'm sold. And since I work for a living and am a bloke (so love the odd gadget) for just £50-£100. Looks very tempting.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Zing said:
Honestly who's actually buying this crap?
I probably will be!
I enjoyed the presentation. I really liked the look of the fitness game (I already work out at home, and it would be a great enhancement), and the Forza racing demo was also very awesome. Obviously it depends on price, and everyone is jumping all over the 'leak' that said $150, but I'll believe it when MS comes out and says for themselves how much it'll be.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
luvd1 said:
Actually, I have a sneaking feeling it's going to fly off e shelves. Hell even I'm now interested and I hated the bloody thing. But if I can control my 360 with voice and just wave to choice a movie. Then I'm sold. And since I work for a living and am a bloke (so love the odd gadget) for just £50-£100. Looks very tempting.
I'm with this bloke. I think people are underestimating it. To be honest, watching my families interest in Kinect grow, I think this could really tap into the casual gamers market.

Neikun

May 11, 2010
I'd definitely need some numbers on the amount of 360's currently in use before I could make an opinion.
In the first year, maybe close to a single million, I'd say. It comes out in November, doesn't it?

Primate

PROBATION
Mar 2, 2010
HK_01 said:
Where do all these analysts come from? What's the source of their authority? Do they have any qualifications? Why do we listen to them?
We listen to them, because they are usually called experts and analyst, and other fancy words..
And of course, mostly because they tell us we should listen to them.. ;)

May 25, 2010
Not a chance in hell. Unless this thing is priced at less than 100$ I honestly don't see it selling more 100k systems in its lifetime. Which should be pretty short as it is. I hope this gets a worse fate than the HD DVD drive.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
It's a shame that it appears only people with a lot of money to burn, or people who really seemed to enjoy how a Wii played will end up being the target audience. They could have done more with this, or made it appeal to a broader audience by lowering the price a bit. Heck, even just packing it with a free game or two would go a long way towards getting more of them sold.

Ah well, we'll all probably be surprised by how many sell. Who knows?

Neikun

May 11, 2010
Wow. They have 2 months to sell 3 mil? I don't think so. Since the Christmas market will provide it with a boom, maybe 300 000, tops.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
Baby Tea said:
Zing said:
I probably will be!
I enjoyed the presentation. I really liked the look of the fitness game (I already work out at home, and it would be a great enhancement), and the Forza racing demo was also very awesome. Obviously it depends on price, and everyone is jumping all over the 'leak' that said $150, but I'll believe it when MS comes out and says for themselves how much it'll be.
All fitness games seem stupid to me. I have a Gym membership for that. I don't see the point in standing there with my arms out in front of me using an invisible steering wheel, it just seems like a gimmick, and I can't really play the game for longer then half an hour without killing my arms...

As long as there's a choice and its not just Kinect exclusive shovelware I couldn't care less.

luvd1

Jan 25, 2010
deadman91 said:
luvd1 said:
I'm with this bloke. I think people are underestimating it. To be honest, watching my families interest in Kinect grow, I think this could really tap into the casual gamers market.
And don't forget the really lazy. Can't be asked to find the remote? No need. Just shout at the console. Man, I hope you can change the voice commands so instead of saying "xbox 360,on"to turn it on. I want to say "Oi, wake up you little sod". Nice.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
I would really love to see what basis he has for his figures? Ill hold out on his optimism till we have real data to analyse

Jadak

Nov 4, 2008
Zing said:
Rack said:
2,999,836 Kinect sitting in warehouses by the end of the year then?
Beat me to the punch!

Me? I really want to be able to control my DVD player with hand motions and voice commands.

LongAndShort

I'm pretty good. Yourself?
May 11, 2009
luvd1 said:
And don't forget the really lazy. Can't be asked to find the remote? No need. Just shout at the console. Man, I hope you can change the voice commands so instead of saying "xbox 360,on"to turn it on. I want to say "Oi, wake up you little sod". Nice.
Or set it to something really common on a mate's. Set it so that every time someone says "Awesome" it switches on or off. Let's hope we can abuse this.

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
BWAHAHAHAHA!!! THIS IS HILARIOUS!!! BWAHAHAHAHA!!!

...Wait, he actually means it?

Blimey

Nov 10, 2009
Jack and Calumon said:
And in which Plain of Existence does he believe that his will happen? Honestly, I can barely even see 30'000 being shipped if the price is what it is rumoured to be. I'll save my money for the INEVITABLY expensive 3DS.

Calumon: And I'll have some cake. ^^
Out of curiosity, do you have any thoughts on what that price may be? I've been wondering how much its going to be...I mean Nintendo is usually good about keeping their prices pretty accesible, but I guess we'll see.

On topic, I don't think that's going to happen [that many sales for Kinect]. I mean you'll get some fanboy's buying it, sure. But in my humble opinion, the sooner we ditch motion control, the happier we will all be. Or at the very least go the route Metroid Prime Corruption did with the motion control's. Minimal, out of the way, its part of the game experience rather then being the game experience.

Besides, really who want's to stand in their living room waving their entire body around like a gimp? I play games to unwind and relax, not to jump around my bloody room like an arachnophobe covered in spiders.

Baby Tea

Just Ask Frankie
Sep 18, 2008
Zing said:
All fitness games seem stupid to me. I have a Gym membership for that.
Well I'd rather pay once for Kinect then pay over and over and over again for a Gym Membership. My wife has a gym membership, and she pays about $50 a month. Kinect would pay for itself in less then that amount of time if you consider the gas to get to and from the gym. Not everyone has the luxury of living next door to one. And I like the idea of working out when I want in my home, rather then when I have the time to drive downtown to the gym.

I don't see the point in standing there with my arms out in front of me using an invisible steering wheel, it just seems like a gimmick, and I can't really play the game for longer then half an hour without killing my arms...
Sounds like you aren't using that gym membership at all!
But seriously, the steering isn't what interested me. It was the looking around corners. That was awesome. So long as they provide a symbiotic controller scheme (Use the controller to drive, and Kinect to look around corners), then it will kick ass 5 ways from Sunday. You could add leaning abilities to FPS games, hand-signals to military sims...the possibilities are amazing. And we'll have to see if they take advantage of that.