Analyst Predicts 7 Million Copies of StarCraft 2 Sold Before End of Year

JerrytheBullfrog

Dec 30, 2009
JaredXE said:
I'm sure it will sell spectacularly.

I'm just not going to be one of those people, not until they actually finish the damn game.
It's finished. It's just getting two expansions.

This isn't a hard concept.

oranger

May 27, 2008
Otherwise known as HYYYPE

on another note, I've often wondered why noone has made a warhammer 40 k mod yet, maybe this time I'll see one.

AndyFromMonday

Feb 5, 2009
The Beta left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. This game does not cater to the inexperienced. The majority of players coming to this game will be ex Starcraft 2 players who are at least decent at playing, something which I am not.

Mastering this game is all about dedication and unfortunately I cannot and do not want to dedicate hours upon hours to master a certain build just so that I can beat a player. I did not have fun in the Beta and I'll most likely not have fun with the actual game.

ultimateownage

This name was cool in 2008.
Feb 11, 2009
7 million only? Modern Warfare got much more than that, and this is made by Blizzard! The game has a massive fanbase! Not saying I think it will beat Modern Warfare, mind, I just think it would be closer than that.

JaredXE

Apr 1, 2009
JerrytheBullfrog said:
JaredXE said:

I'm just not going to be one of those people, not until they actually finish the damn game.
It's finished. It's just getting two expansions.

The first game featured 3 fully playable races, with accompanying campaigns for each. Each campaign weaved together the whole story.

What we are getting is ONE THIRD of the whole story(I do not give a shit that the Terran campaign is 3 times longer, extention does not equal full game), multiplayer without the racial campaigns designed to teach people how to play those races, and two "Expansion Packs" that will be marketed at full-game price.

Ranooth

BEHIND YOU!!
Mar 26, 2008
Well seeing as though the population of Korea is around 46 million it probably will in worldwide sales.

Im more interested in how many copies will be sold in PAL and NTSC regions due to the massive hype train.

StephenRogers713

Pastry avenger
Jan 8, 2010
I don't think 7 million is too unreasonable, but the major sales will depend on two things. One they have to hope that Korean players play the game, so far it looks like they loved the beta, but if they decide to not use it for their e sports the sales will suffer. The second thing to worry about is the fact that RTS aren't quite as popular as they used to be, when the fist Starcraft came out, it received raving reviews because it was an RTS that stood out among a lake of bad ones. RTS's were today's FPS's, but no matter what the game will sell, people who play blizzard games overlap by a very large percent so the people who are waiting for Diablo 2 and Cataclysm will very likely fly to Starcraft 2 to sate their appetites till their favorite game comes out.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
JaredXE said:

So sick of this, it's a complete game. 30+ missions full multiplayer content. In Dawn of War 2 they also only had one race campaign, it's still a full game. Yes they are releasing the packs separately and for full price which sucks but as anyone knows they'll spend however long completing the campaign and then 10 times as long playing the multiplayer.
God 90 missions in one game would ridiculous!

John Funk

U.N. Owen Was Him?
Dec 20, 2005
AndyFromMonday said:
The Beta left me with a bitter taste in my mouth. This game does not cater to the inexperienced. The majority of players coming to this game will be ex Starcraft 2 players who are at least decent at playing, something which I am not.

Mastering this game is all about dedication and unfortunately I cannot and do not want to dedicate hours upon hours to master a certain build just so that I can beat a player. I did not have fun in the Beta and I'll most likely not have fun with the actual game.
In all fairness, the beta was very different because A.) it was the hardcore SC2 fans, and B.) there WAS no tutorial. Blizz even said that it would be like taking someone who didn't play WoW, then giving them a level 80 with full epics and telling them to join a hardcore Arena tournament.

It'll probably be much better at release when there's A.) the complete campaign to play and B.) the challenge maps that teach you how to, say, deal with a ling rush. Also C.) all of the other newbies online.

AugustFall

May 5, 2009
JaredXE said:
The first game featured 3 fully playable races, with accompanying campaigns for each. Each campaign weaved together the whole story.

What we are getting is ONE THIRD of the whole story(I do not give a shit that the Terran campaign is 3 times longer, extention does not equal full game), multiplayer without the racial campaigns designed to teach people how to play those races, and two "Expansion Packs" that will be marketed at full-game price.

It's not extension, they finished the campaign and realised it was ridiculously long. They didn't stick a bunch of filler in a box, the box was full with just the Terran Campaign is the point.
As to playing the campaign as a tutorial, play starcraft 1. I personally don't want a sequel that is going to lead me by the hand for the first x many missions. The core of their sales are going to people familiar with the game already, they don't need to dumb it down.

Sronpop

Mar 26, 2009
Really 7 million? It depends if its gets pirated I would say. I don't know much of the details to do with the DRM or whether it requires a subscription thing like WOW. But if its the kind of game where it can be pirated easily, I would say cut those estimates in half.

Although, all those Korean gaming cafes, they all need legit copies don't they. I reckon it will be at least 5 million by the end of year anyway. That's pretty much a given.

StephenRogers713

Pastry avenger
Jan 8, 2010
AugustFall said:
JaredXE said:

It's not extension, they finished the campaign and realised it was ridiculously long. They didn't stick a bunch of filler in a box, the box was full with just the Terran Campaign is the point.
As to playing the campaign as a tutorial, play starcraft 1. I personally don't want a sequel that is going to lead me by the hand for the first x many missions. The core of their sales are going to people familiar with the game already, they don't need to dumb it down.
Just Like august said it is a full game and you can't even whine about it just being Terran. there are Protoss missions in their too. And no, Blizzard really doesn't need to dumb dow their games and thankfully since the terrible hand holding in Wrath of the Lich king, they're done with that. They're not going to dumb the game down, but as John Funk mentioned, they're adding challenge maps. Maps that will teach and train you to play online, teaching you how to stop certain strategies and of course one that forces you to use hot keys, no clicking. They're keeping this game just as smart as ever, they're just giving people an option to learn how to play better if they want to. Hopefully it will work and they will continue it with their other games with online interaction.

StephenRogers713

Pastry avenger
Jan 8, 2010
Sronpop said:
Really 7 million? It depends if its gets pirated I would say. I don't know much of the details to do with the DRM or whether it requires a subscription thing like WOW.
It doesn't require a subscription, but don't tell Bobby Kotick about that, we may have trouble. It just requires you to have a battle net account which basically requires nothing but an email adress. The game shouldn't be extremely easily piratable, but just like all games, some one will pirate it.

AceDiamond

Jul 7, 2008
Oh joy, more Starcraft 2 fanwankery. Every time I think I've reached the point where I couldn't possibly care less about the sequel to the most undeservedly acclaimed RTS of all time, The Escapist does ANOTHER story about how amazing it's going to be and the forums come alive with how anybody who thinks otherwise is an idiot, and anything that might be bad about it is the fault of Activision and not Blizzard.

And this is coming from someone who was willing to try and set aside hatred to at least try the beta and see what the fuss was about (didn't get in, I'm not mad about that though).

I miss the days when games like Homeworld wouldn't hype themselves to death before coming out, and just be good on their own merits instead of piggybacking on the undeserved success of their predecessors. Yes I know, Homeworld didn't have a predecessor. Still, "No hype, all game" says a lot.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
Rigs83 said:
I wonder how long it will take Korean players to start killing competing against each other to their infamous extremes over Battle.net match rankings.
Release date is your answer I think.

Kurokami

Feb 23, 2009
StephenRogers713 said:
Sronpop said:
Really 7 million? It depends if its gets pirated I would say. I don't know much of the details to do with the DRM or whether it requires a subscription thing like WOW.
It doesn't require a subscription, but don't tell Bobby Kotick about that, we may have trouble. It just requires you to have a battle net account which basically requires nothing but an email adress. The game shouldn't be extremely easily piratable, but just like all games, some one will pirate it.
I assume many people will buy it because of battlenet, their games are nice with singleplayer, but the multiplayer service is where you generally get the ****ing awesome player made maps. The previous games' multiplayer was pirated by abusing the LAN options, I assume that's why they removed it. Though as you said, pirates will find a way as they generally do.