Analyst Predicts 7 Million Copies of StarCraft 2 Sold Before End of Year

awsome117

Jan 27, 2009
Well after I get my new gaming desktop, this will be the first game I buy for it. Although, I do have Dawn of War II, I wonder if I should play that first...

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
I feel like it would be a good Idea for blizzard to spend the next year adding a whole bunch of console exclusive things and then rereleasing it for xbox and ps3 as "Gold-Edition". I and many others would wind up buying 2 copies and would be able to play the game on my platform of choice. Everyone wins!

Galaxy613

Apr 6, 2008
ZehGeek said:
Meh, Forget consles. RTSs are not ment for Consoles. There's just some things that are for the PC, and some things that are for Consoles.

Anyway, I'm sure they'll atleast get there money back. How much they double it now, that's in time.
So friggin true, reminds me that I need to unload Halo Wars off on someone.

At anyrate, I preordered SC2 this spring and I got release-day shipping and it hasn't even shipped yet, I wonder if Amazon doesn't have enough copies... >.>

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Chunko said:
I feel like it would be a good Idea for blizzard to spend the next year adding a whole bunch of console exclusive things and then rereleasing it for xbox and ps3 as "Gold-Edition". I and many others would wind up buying 2 copies and would be able to play the game on my platform of choice. Everyone wins!
activision is now doing PC exclusives. they are sick of consoles.
They can do what they want, but it's their loss.

William Dickbringer

Feb 16, 2010
wouldn't surprise me if it does I mean it the second biggest game made by blizzard (maybe first it technically has a bigger fanbase than WOW worldwide) and possibly second biggest game in history (would be first but some big named company likes to say a certain modern warfare game is the first)

Vankraken

Mar 30, 2010
There are pros and cons to making games for PC only, console only, and having all of them covered. In the case of SC2 its clear that blizzard wants to use the Battle.net to regulate the game (for good or bad) and the most important part is that blizzard doesn't release games in a way that isn't of the highest quality and putting SC2 on a console doesn't give the game the quality of play it deserves so it will remain PC/Mac only.

Anyway on to the sales numbers. I personally think that StarCraft 2 will break 10 million before the year is out.

Nouw

Mar 18, 2009
7 Million? Way more man, way more.

The thing I love about Starcraft 2 is that you can kinda change the gameplay. Squads for the win! As that Battalion Mod I saw in this thread.

Can't wait, I pre-ordered.

Sronpop said:
Really 7 million? It depends if its gets pirated I would say. I don't know much of the details to do with the DRM or whether it requires a subscription thing like WOW. But if its the kind of game where it can be pirated easily, I would say cut those estimates in half.

Although, all those Korean gaming cafes, they all need legit copies don't they. I reckon it will be at least 5 million by the end of year anyway. That's pretty much a given.
How did Modern Warfare 2 get 1 Billion if it was the most-pirated game of 2009 and it was released at the near end. Hmmm???

Pingieking

Sep 19, 2009
AceDiamond said:
I miss the days when games like Homeworld wouldn't hype themselves to death before coming out, and just be good on their own merits instead of piggybacking on the undeserved success of their predecessors. Yes I know, Homeworld didn't have a predecessor. Still, "No hype, all game" says a lot.
Hype is probably the best way to make $$$.

I think 7 mil in year one may be a bit conservative. I'd go for closer to 10 mil. I think that when the dust settles (most likely in 2020, when Starcraft 3 comes out), South Korea alone will account for 5~10 mil copies of Starcraft 2.

Keep in mind that the original Starcraft had the LAN function that lets multiple players use one copy of the game. With that removed for Starcraft 2, it'll sell a lot more than the original.

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Let's see... the population of South Korea is approximately fourty-eight million... I'll say about a third of those people may be interested in buying StarCraft 2...

I think Blizzard will sell more than seven million copies.

Chunko

Aug 2, 2009
Ultratwinkie said:
Chunko said:
Ultratwinkie said:
Chunko said:
activision is now doing PC exclusives. they are sick of consoles.
They can do what they want, but it's their loss.
yes it is a loss but not a big one. developers are leaving consoles out of the lack of cash. consoles have become so steeped in red tape and variables its just not worth it.
Just for the record I'm completely neutral in the console/pc wars. But I just don't enjoy PC gaming. Even back when I had a state of the art gaming computer I found myself playing Xbox games. I preferred HL2 on my xbox over my computer. A lot of people just prefer the feel of console gaming. The industry will eventually realize this and accept that it's profitable to release games on both console and PC. Look at valve right now.

Vanaron

Apr 8, 2010
Alar said:
Let's see... the population of South Korea is approximately fourty-eight million... I'll say about a third of those people may be interested in buying StarCraft 2...

I think Blizzard will sell more than seven million copies.
Oh yeah! And by the way...

http://pc.ign.com/articles/110/1102372p1.html

Now, that's confidence!

rabidmidget

Apr 18, 2008
Jadak said:
Rigs83 said:
I wonder how long it will take Korean players to start killing competing against each other to their infamous extremes over Battle.net match rankings.
Depends, how fast do you think the quickest ones can get from the store back home?
It depends more on how fast they can install it on the laptop they brought with them.

Sebenko

Dec 23, 2008
As indifferent as I am towards Starcraft as a game, I really hope it does well (Okay, it will obviously "do well", but you know what I mean).

If it does succeed, it will show that PC gaming is still viable to publishers.
I'm not saying it's going to lead a revolution and destroy consoles, but we might see some more PC exclusives (I'm so fed up of games that use about three buttons because that's all the consoles have) and better ports.

Plus, it'll give me a morale boost to know that PC gaming isn't dead yet.

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
By December? I don't think so. RTS's and PC is too exclusive for those kinds of figures in such a small amount of time.