Analyst: PS4 Will Launch Under $400

StewShearerOld

Geekdad News Writer
Jan 5, 2013
Analyst: PS4 Will Launch Under $400

Analyst Arvind Bhatia has told investors that Sony has learned its lesson from the PS3-launch.

The PlayStation 3 was an expensive machine at launch. Not mildly expensive like a gift card-less meal at Olive Garden. We're talking expensive to the degree that the money you spent on a launch-PS3 would probably be enough to fly you to the manufacturing plant to build one yourself. Suffice it to say that consumers weren't pleased with the console's initial price tag and <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/88145-PS3-Is-Dying-On-The-Shelves>sales languished for years until Sony finally dropped the sticker price to something people other than the Walter White-crowd could afford.

With the PlayStation 4 announced and E3 just a few short days away, Sterne Agee analyst Arvind Bhatia believes that Sony won't make the same mistake again. "We believe Sony will aim to keep the price point for PlayStation 4 below $400," said Bhatia, in a note to investors. Bhatia's elaborated that the PS3 definitely suffered in its early years from its high price point and that Sony will likely aim to stay under $400 even if it means taking an initial loss on sales of the console.

While it will be up to Sony to confirm a sub-$400 sticker price, it would certainly be music to the ears of gamers hoping for a new generation of consoles that won't leave them fiscally bankrupt. As for Sony's competitors, Bhatia doesn't expect Microsoft to price the Xbox One at E3 and warned investors to "never write-off Nintendo." Considering Nintendo's current <a href=http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/121778-Wii-U-Sales-Forecast-Cut>troubles with the Wii U, that might be advice some would discard. Then again, it wouldn't be the first time <a href=http://www.ign.com/articles/2008/11/13/wii-sales-through-the-roof-2>Nintendo made a comeback.

Source: <a href=http://www.gamespot.com/news/ps4-will-debut-below-400-says-analyst-6409442>GameSpot

Saltyk

Sane among the insane.
Sep 12, 2010
I think I had heard others predict a price tag of $450 USD. Personally, I hope this is right. Considering the current issues of the XBone, if Sony could launch a decent priced console that avoids the pitfalls of Microsoft, they would be well on their way to dominating this generation. And I'd certainly welcome a console that I don't have to save up for half a year just to afford it.

Time will tell, though.

Headsprouter

Monster Befriender
Legacy
Nov 19, 2010
And that's in Dollars? Well, that's not bad. Something like £260, if I'm doing my maths right, which I'm probably not.

I don't even wanna buy it, though, but I kind of want Sony to do well, considering they're not as controlling is Microsoft in this situation. And if the Xbone is hideously overpriced in comparison, Sony could own this next generation of consoles.

Mr.Mattress

Level 2 Lumberjack
Jul 17, 2009
I'm expecting it to be between 399-499$ dollars. I can't see it being any cheaper then that. If it is, then it'll make Sony hemorrhage money. And that's the last thing Sony needs.

Tahmoh

Sep 1, 2008
Headsprouter said:
And that's in Dollars? Well, that's not bad. Something like £260, if I'm doing my maths right, which I'm probably not.

I don't even wanna buy it, though, but I kind of want Sony to do well, considering they're not as controlling is Microsoft in this situation. And if the Xbone is hideously overpriced in comparison, Sony could own this next generation of consoles.
Yeah in the real world where games companies price things based on exchange rates and dont just switch the $ for a £ like usual :)

PoolCleaningRobot

Mar 18, 2012
I'd certainly hope so. One of the main benefits of consoles over pc's is price[footnote]I know this isn't true if you're upgrading and building shit but a full blown pc > console[/footnote] and if it really is lower than $400, I could see more people buying at launch

The Apple BOOM said:
I have absolutely no idea how they can afford this. That price is crazy low.
I think the main reason is because they're using AMD processors that they customized rather than built from scratch. Some things have simply come down a lot over time like hard drives. The only thing I'd question would be the price of GDDR5 ram. I wonder if they'll need to sell at a loss right off the bat

MrWunderful

Filthy Console Peasant
May 27, 2013
I wonder if they are referring to a base model price of sub-400$, or if there is a larger edition that might be more money.

If PS4s end up being cheaper than the xbox1 as well, I have a hard time seeing the xbox1 win this war.

WanderingFool

Apr 9, 2009
Mr.Mattress said:
I'm expecting it to be between 399-499$ dollars. I can't see it being any cheaper then that. If it is, then it'll make Sony hemorrhage money. And that's the last thing Sony needs.
I would say its the last thing Sony's Gaming division needs. But if they could make up the price difference with sale increase in other departments, maybe they can get away with the lower price.

Greyhamster

Nov 26, 2010
Would be cool but seems unlikely, since the ps3 is going for around 300 euros here. Can't see them selling it's descendant for a mere fifty euros more.

I hope they do though.

Trishbot

May 10, 2011
MrWunderful said:
I wonder if they are referring to a base model price of sub-400$, or if there is a larger edition that might be more money.

If PS4s end up being cheaper than the xbox1 as well, I have a hard time seeing the xbox1 win this war.
Considering how anti-consumer and restrictive the Xbone is shaping up to be, a cheaper entry price (and early release) would cause PS4 sales to soar past the Xbone.

And getting a solid, firm foothold as the console of choice for gamers is very important to Sony. Even if the Xbone is only marginally more expensive, people aren't going to immediately turn around from one console-investment and then drop large chunks of change for another one so soon after.

We'll see how it plays out though. There are plenty of unknowns still.

RicoADF

Welcome back Commander
Jun 2, 2009
The question I wonder is how much of a bullcrap extra they will tax onto Australia, if they put too much I'll just buy it from the UK as I won't be ripped off again.

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
Headsprouter said:
In Europe we will have to pay the US price in Euros. It has been this way since... I don't know. The reason for that is, that in the US the price does not include the sales tax and then we have different shipping costs and blablablabla...
Anyway if the PS4 is 400 $ in the US then it will be 400 Euro in Europe +- something dependant on the country. Meaning about ~£340 in the UK.

However I somewhat doubt the ?lower than 400 $? guess here. I think between 400 and 500 is more realistically.
He Sony I dare you to prove me wrong!

Hazy992

Why does this place still exist
Aug 1, 2010
broken-serenity said:
Yeah in the real world where games companies price things based on exchange rates and dont just switch the $ for a £ like usual :)
Funny, I don't remember the PS3 launching at £600 over here...

OT: come on Sony, price this at £250-£300, don't pull a Microsoft and I'll buy a PS4 day one. Sony's pulled some stupid shit in the past, but these past few months it seems like they're actually learning their lesson. Don't let me down guys.

Daaaah Whoosh

Jun 23, 2010
If the PS4 goes for $300, I will definitely buy it instead of the Xbone. Just as soon as I get $300.
That said, I'm guessing a price of over $350. For both of them.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Headsprouter said:
Unfortunately Economics doesn't function using logic and the pricing doesn't have any bearing on exchange rates. We'll probably end up getting it at around £350, £300 at a stretch.

Personally I'm guessing... sorry analysing that it will launch at $450 but will come bundled with an exclusive game in the box or pre-loaded on to the machine.

BloodRed Pixel

Jul 16, 2009
...and it will ship in a Unicorn flavoured box delivered by your imaginary friend and only those who can have a child like understanding of how they came into this world can touch it without burning...