Analyst Says DJ Hero Demand "Well Below" Expectations

300lb. Samoan

Mar 25, 2009
mokes310 said:
Speaking as a DJ in real life, I can honestly say that this game is in no way representative of spinning in real life. Whereas GH/Rock Band have some similarities to the activity they are simulating, DJ Hero only represents ONE aspect of DJ'ing: And that's the mash-up. I could go in to a more deep comparison, but none of you want to read that.

Final verdict: This game should have never been made!
Honestly, I am interested in reading that. I've watched what videos I can find of the peripheral in use and I just can't figure out the control scheme. I'm not planning on buying this game, but if I was I'd be worried that it would take me ages to get the hang of playing it even on easy (this coming from someone who is self-taught on bass, guitar, piano, and went conservatory to study drums.)

Maybe you could make a new thread and share your thoughts. There's been plenty of healthy debate in the past over whether Guitar Hero is an accurate representation of real guitar playing, what better time than now to get the ball rolling with DJ Hero!

Proteus214 said:
Take a moment and think of how many people you know that can play guitar or want to learn to play guitar...

Now I want you to take a moment to think of how many people you know that can scratch or want to learn to scratch...

I mean seriously. What did they expect?
I can play guitar, and I would love to learn how to scratch. On topic though, I can play guitar and had a great time playing guitar hero even though it's completely different. I wish I could scratch, but I have no desire to role-play as a DJ.

Cliff_m85

Feb 6, 2009
VanityGirl said:
Cliff_m85 said:
I'd completely agree with that, but I just don't dig getting one instrument for that wad of cash when I can throw down $100 and get a microphone, guitar, and drug set (as well as the game). Maybe if they decided to be express the true nature of club music and include a bag of ecstacy with each bundle as well as light sticks. :p
I guess, but wasn't Rock Band's full set more than $100? I'm curious because I thought it was. (I mean at release, not now, it's had a price drop since a year ago.)
But I guess to each his own. I'm glad they put Justice in there, I really like their music. If you don't know who Justice is, think of the Assassin's Creed II trailer. Yep, that was them.
I think Rock Band 2's was $125 at release for me. But that included enough instruments to have a party. If DJ hero allowed for multi-play type gaming I think it'd do much better....or the ecstacy. Either or.

cobra_ky

Nov 20, 2008
Gee, Bobby Kotick and Activision drove the music genre into the ground. who could have seen this coming? I reiterate my earlier prediction that Activision will be in deep financial trouble 5 years from now.

The Rockerfly

Dec 31, 2008
I might get it because I am really getting into hip hop and rap, but I think they might be right. I have no idea where on earth they got the numbers from though

CD-R

Mar 1, 2009
Cliff_m85 said:
VanityGirl said:
Cliff_m85 said:
Ok Denise. If you dig it, get it. No problem at all. I just think the $100+ to get it is incredibly high.
Well, since I'll be getting a turntable, the stand and the game, I don't mind too much. Better for me to buy things that function, than spend $80 for shitty nightvisions goggles that come with a game. :)
Or a helmet that is two sizes too small. :)
I'd completely agree with that, but I just don't dig getting one instrument for that wad of cash when I can throw down $100 and get a microphone, guitar, and drug set (as well as the game). Maybe if they decided to be express the true nature of club music and include a bag of ecstacy with each bundle as well as light sticks. :p
Damn they're including heroin with the games now. They're really going all out with simulating a rockstar experience.

(I know it's a typo but I thought it was funny) :p

Mcface

Aug 30, 2009
I laugh at all of the sheep who play these games.
Its the same overused DDR crap, for 100 bucks a pop.

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Okay, show of hands for who saw this coming? True you get great music, but something just tells me this won't be as fun as Guitar Hero, and even further from the real deal than GH.
Malygris said:
...Huang said Activision believed the game would build up momentum over time as people become more familiar with what Activision wants players to think what a DJ game is.
Added a bit of cyncism to that quote, tho I doubt its far off the mark. I dare other publishers to NOT follow this mold.
Cliff_m85 said:
One may question the legality of such an accessory, but a drug set with Rock Band might just boost sales, and fit the mythos. And 1 in every 100 includes a Roadie!

GamingAwesome1

May 22, 2009
It's probably well known that I hate DJ Hero with a freaking passion.

At least the company is coming to terms with how bad this is probably going to flop.

T'Generalissimo

Nov 9, 2008
samsonguy920 said:
One may question the legality of such an accessory, but a drug set with Rock Band might just boost sales, and fit the mythos. And 1 in every 100 includes a Roadie!
That's the sort of thing you'd probably want to get at launch, before all the roadies suffocate in the boxes. Which I guess might not be a bad marketing strategy to increase realease day sales; "For every game that doesn't get sold at launch, a roadie dies. Can you live with that? Do you want it on your conscience? No, I didn't think so; now go buy Guitar Hero!" Although, I guess that it is a pretty bad marketing strategy in that a lot of the people involved would probably go to jail for it.

On a more serious note, I think it's biggest problem will be a general fatigue with regards to rhythm games among the general populace; I've never actually owned one of the Hero or Band games and I'm already exhausted by the sheer number of them. I guess people who like the kind of music DJ Hero has, or think that DJing is a cool thing to do will buy it, but outside of that I don't think there are a lot of people who are hungry for another Hero game.

On an even more serious note, don't suffocate roadies, they're people too.

Anarien

Mar 30, 2007
There's a glut of rhythm titles, and a DJ game is naturally going to be more niche than a guitar-based or band game. And that's even before you bring in the fact that it requires expensive peripherals.

Band Hero is a different matter. To me, it's making improvements, even though it falls under the same glut. The songs in Band Hero feature just over 1/3 of songs by female vocalists of all styles. That's significant, and shows that devs are paying attention to who plays their games.

FloodOne

Apr 29, 2009
Mcface said:
I laugh at all the sheep who buy FPS after FPS. It's the same overused Doom crap for $60 a pop.

See... I can be an ass too.

Poisoni

Aug 20, 2009
FloodOne said:
Mcface said:
I laugh at all the sheep who buy FPS after FPS. It's the same overused Doom crap for $60 a pop.

See... I can be an ass too.
What are you talking about? Guitar Hero games ARE pretty much all the same, whereas First Person Shooters have many differences from each other

ThisNewGuy

Apr 28, 2009
buy teh haloz said:
Well, what do you expect? People don't want to play with shit.
I don't think that's true. I bet a game called Grand Theft Halo: Modern Warfare would sell millions.

Tony Harrison

Jan 28, 2008
Maybe it's a bit pricey, maybe you don't like the music but there's nothing wrong with the concept.
I'll be getting it at some point, looks like fun.

Kuchinawa212

Apr 23, 2009
BrotherhoodOfSteel said:
Kuchinawa212 said:
I think guitar hero has MUCH more broad appeal then DJ hero. So that's why I think it flopped. They expected the same audience for both games
It's already out? Wow..... Then it must have sold badly.....
I think it did. I mean like JUST came out not like for a month or anything like that

YuheJi

Mar 17, 2009
Proteus214 said:
Take a moment and think of how many people you know that can play guitar or want to learn to play guitar...

Now I want you to take a moment to think of how many people you know that can scratch or want to learn to scratch...

I mean seriously. What did they expect?
It's a lot more people than you might think. But more people believe that they might get good at guitar. They tend to struggle with turntables.