Analyst: Xbox 360 Set to Dominate 2010

Greg Tito

PR for Dungeons & Dragons
Sep 29, 2005
Analyst: Xbox 360 Set to Dominate 2010

A British games industry marketer claimed that the Xbox 360 platform is "set to dominate" the industry going forward.

Bruce Everiss has been around the block. In the 80s, he was the chief marketer at the startup of both Imagine and Codemasters, two of the biggest game-makers in the U.K. Everiss now writes at lawsuits from Evony [http://www.bruceongames.com/], he discussed how he believes that Microsoft's Xbox 360 is primed to be the premier console in the games industry going forward because of their exclusives and Project Natal.

Everiss points out Microsoft's profits reports from Q4 '09, saying that the 360 was 3 times more profitable than 2008. "The increase comes from Moore's law bringing down hardware manufacturing costs and from the ever increasing user base buying proportionately more software and Live services, which are a lot more profitable than hardware."

He also points to the game library on the Xbox 360, stating that recent videogame hits were huge for the console:

The Xbox 360 also currently heads the game sales chart with Mass Effect 2 and are by far the most popular platform for the monster hit that is Modern Warfare 2. This presages a year in which there will be a succession of huge titles that are not available on the other consoles. For any game enthusiast these make owning a 360 essential, even if it is in addition to owning other consoles.

Everiss predicts that Natal will make a big splash. "Microsoft expects to sell several million [Natal] units in the '10 holiday season and so there is impressive game support coming from publishers. Pretty soon around half of all 360 owners will probably buy Natal and they will want Natal enabled games to play on it. Expect a surge in more family friendly titles, which will take the 360 to new demographics, further enhancing its success."

While Bruce is entitled to his opinion, comments on the post seem to point out the shameless praise that Everiss heaps on the Xbox 360 console.

"Ack! I had so much faith in you until this article. It just seems to scream 'I'm being paid by Microsoft'," said Dave S.

Source: Bruceongames [http://www.bruceongames.com/2010/02/02/microsoft-xbox-360-set-to-dominate/]

MetaKnight19

Jul 8, 2009
As far as I can tell, an analysts work mainly consists of guessing. Whenever they are mentioned in the news anyway.

Hotshots

Dec 8, 2009
This year does look more "promising" for the 360.

Halo:Reach looks pretty epic...i hope the don't mess it up.

Jared

The British Paladin
Jul 14, 2009
Hotshots said:

Wont that just be mess in someones face XD

Trivun

Stabat mater dolorosa
Dec 13, 2008
He does make some pretty good points, and especially with Natal coming up, I really want to see the Xbox continue to do well. However, as a 360 gamer who intends to get a PS3 eventually as well, I have to say that some games like MAG and Heavy Rain, along with the success of PS3 exclusive franchises like Uncharted, may well threaten the MS dominance in the market. I guess at the end of the day it'll really be quite close...

Baconmonster723

Mar 4, 2009
The 360 may dominate, however, it may fail. I own a 360 so I would love to see it do well. However, if we don't have competition from Sony and Nintendo, Microsoft might get lazy. I don't want it to "dominate" to the point where it hammers other consoles out of business (Sony is losing massive profit margins all around). The Wii is catered to a whole nother demographic. I like things the way they are, mostly even.

Hotshots

Dec 8, 2009
Jaredin said:
Hotshots said:

Wont that just be mess in someones face XD
Scusa la mia grammatica inglese nazista.

Apr 28, 2008
I would be exited for Natal.
If they showed some damn games made for the thing, instead of current games supporting it...

And I doubt that the 360 will dominate.
Mainly because of Heavy Rain and God of War 3.

If anything by the time the year ends the gap seperating the PS3 and 360 will be more like a thin line.

But what do I know, I'm no analyst.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
He really expects half of 360 owners to pick up Natal?! I very much doubt that.

scotth266

Wait when did I get a sub
Jan 10, 2009
Honestly? I don't expect much from Natal or Gem. Yes, I'm still calling it that. I refuse to let a great joke die.

However, since a lot of (hopefully) good PS3 exclusives are coming out this year, and the console's price is now at a reasonable range, I expect the PS3 to make up some ground. Whether or not this will be balanced out by whatever the 360 has to offer remains to be seen.

And, as usual, the Wii shall sit back on it's throne made of money and laugh at both of them.

ZeroDotZero

Sep 18, 2009
God of War 3, Heavy Rain, MAG, The Last Guardian and Metal Gear Rising. I don't think the Xbox will dominate, even if it does do well. Seems like not much consideration has gone into this analysis.

VanityGirl

Apr 29, 2009
Irridium said:
I would be exited for Natal.
If they showed some damn games made for the thing, instead of current games supporting it...

And I doubt that the 360 will dominate.
Mainly because of Heavy Rain and God of War 3.

If anything by the time the year ends the gap seperating the PS3 and 360 will be more like a thin line.

But what do I know, I'm no analyst.
I doubt it. The main problem is, while God of War 3 is big, people wont necessarily buy a console JUST for one game. God of War 3 will be one of the bigger releases for the PS3 this year, but will it cause an shift in the sales of PS3? That depends.

I mean, Mass Effect 2 was a LARGE success, the sales of the game definately proved that.
If God Of War 3 or Heavy Rain's sales are anywhere in the ball park of Mass Effect, I'll change my tune.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
they rolled the dice and it came up 11, it must be true

murphy7801

Apr 12, 2009
tk1989 said:
I agree i doubt that the natal we make a large increase in hardware sales with a current economic climate of today.

JaymesFogarty

Aug 19, 2009
Mass Effect 2 isn't anymore reason to own a 360 than Heavy Rain, MGS4, Uncharted 2 and GOW3 are to own a 360. I think the only big problem that Microsoft has with the 360 is the disc space. With more and more games coming out with two or more discs, production costs would surely be higher. Plus, game developers should have learnt by know, (from FF13) that it is better to make a game on the PS3, and then port it to the 360. That way, you have two games of almost identical calibre.
Am I the only one that sees Natal as a step-backwards? It's just the Wii, but without motion feedback, right? (Many people are saying that it is just an add-on, for giving commands in FPS's and occasional gaming events, but how much are you prepared to pay for an add-on?)

mikecoulter

Elite Member
Dec 27, 2008
I think many gamers will buy it for Natal. My 360 will never be connected to it. I would have thought that this would be the year of the PS3 Slim, that's how 2009 ended anyway.

LWS666

[Speech: 100]
Nov 5, 2009
this year sees the release of ME2, SC:C and Halo Reach (i think, i don't keep up with halo news) as well as the natal and this guy thinks it's a skill to predict an increase in 360 sales?

Premonition

Jan 25, 2010
Oy, mister analyst, I got one word for ya: Wii

You know, the console that has been dominating the market for years now.

tk1989

May 20, 2008
murphy7801 said:
tk1989 said:
I agree i doubt that the natal we make a large increase in hardware sales with a current economic climate of today.
Its not so much the current economic climate, its more that people who want motion gaming probably already have a wii. People who have a wii will probably not get Natal. Families who are going to invest in a console are probably going to get a Wii rather than an Xbox and Natal, which will not just be more expensive (as you have already pointed out), but will have fewer games and will not have the reputation amongst new gamers/casual gamers. There is also the fact that it looks unlikely if much of the 360's hardcore base will ever invest in it either, due to the obvious connections with causal gaming, lack of support and games, and also that many will already own Wiis.