And all the Oscars goes to.... God Bless America

maddness666

Apr 14, 2011
Now. If you've never felt the desire to go on a killing spree and right all the petty wrongs in the world, can we swap planets? I feel like that most of the time.

Seriously people. Stop being disgusted. It's a film.

PS: No. I'm not going to shoot everyone, I'm going to run for president.

spartan231490

Jan 14, 2010
Dejawesp said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul4CZrnEFxU

This may very well be the best movie that was ever made.

I wonder how many people out there would do the same thing in this guys situation. Have we just been lucky that all the crazies die quietly in their sleep or get run over by cars?

Can't say I wouldn't be tempted.
Jack the Ripper
Jeffrey Daumer
et al.

not all the crazies die quietly or get run over by cars.

Further, I'm relatively positive this man would never target me

Scipio1770

Oct 3, 2010
Buretsu said:
Scipio1770 said:
I'm just saying, if someone is tired of a life left among those who worship celebrities, I'd much rather prefer they end their own lives than end those other people who haven't done anything to deserve it.
I mostly agree, however you have to admit the level of innocence of the film's victims is debatable. take the WBC for example, they've basically made a business from goading minorities and war veterans and then profiting from the resulting lawsuits. While obviously shooting and running them all over is a bit undeserved, you can't truely say they "haven't done anything".

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
Buretsu said:
Sunrider84 said:
This movie is GLORIOUS, and I haven't even seen it yet. Ok, the TRAILER is glorious, at least. I can't wait to see it. Get off your moral horses, people.
Yes, just turn off your brain, and enjoy, right? As long as it's entertaining, nothing else really matters, right? It's bad people doing bad things, and who doesn't like to watch that, right?
Yep, that's what movie are for, entertainment.

artanis_neravar

Apr 18, 2011
maddness666 said:
Now. If you've never felt the desire to go on a killing spree and right all the petty wrongs in the world, can we swap planets? I feel like that most of the time.

Seriously people. Stop being disgusted. It's a film.

PS: No. I'm not going to shoot everyone, I'm going to run for president.
It's not so much the killing spree for me, it's the urge to see that dawning look of realization on the guys face, that just says "oh shit, I can't keep doing whatever I want and fucking over who ever I want with out consequences."

Varanfan9

Mar 12, 2010
I'm kinda mixed on this film. On the one hand I want to see it as it looks hilarious and funny. But on the other hand I have always been against the media image of us Americans being dumb rude slobs. Dunno might wait for it to come out and hear some reviews on it first.

El Dwarfio

Jan 30, 2012
Mr.Mattress said:
Wrong. Albeit, I will probably watch the film, the idea it's relaying is basically a form of terrorism.
I hardly think it's advocating what the guy is doing, you know it's gonna have a downer ending.

Also it's a black comedy not a social commentary, I'm not saying that that'll make it worth watching / funny, but some of the above comments really don't make sense.

Scipio1770

Oct 3, 2010
What do you mean "you people"?

Abandon4093 said:
Scipio1770 said:
Buretsu said:
Scipio1770 said:
I'm just saying, if someone is tired of a life left among those who worship celebrities, I'd much rather prefer they end their own lives than end those other people who haven't done anything to deserve it.
I mostly agree, however you have to admit the level of innocence of the film's victims is debatable. take the WBC for example, they've basically made a business from goading minorities and war veterans and then profiting from the resulting lawsuits. While obviously shooting and running them all over is a bit undeserved, you can't truely say they "haven't done anything".
What you people are forgetting is that this is a film. Not a depiction of actual events.

There are far worse antiheros in film and TV than these characters. But because this film has a jokingly ironic sub message hidden somewhere under all that black humour, suddenly it's 'too far' and 'won't somebody think of the children.'

That's right, people who're getting all indignant over this are no better than Fox news.

Was Hobo with a Shotgun too far? Because it's pretty much the same film. Only replacing drug pushers and mobsters with divas and jerks... Hence the comedy.

It's entertainment, get over it.
Scipio1770 said:
Buretsu said:
Dejawesp said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ul4CZrnEFxU

This may very well be the best movie that was ever made.

I wonder how many people out there would do the same thing in this guys situation. Have we just been lucky that all the crazies die quietly in their sleep or get run over by cars?

Can't say I wouldn't be tempted.
Let's hope you'll be tempted to do what he almost did at the beginning instead.
Alright there kiddos, it's a trailer on youtube, take it down a notch.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Looks pretty fucking stupid actually. I felt the same way with Inglorious Basterds as well. Maybe I'm just not seeing something here, but these kinds of films are just complete trash.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
BathorysGraveland said:
Looks pretty fucking stupid actually. I felt the same way with Inglorious Basterds as well. Maybe I'm just not seeing something here, but these kinds of films are just complete trash.
Here's the thing. No one is going to see this movie for the movie itself. The people interested in this love the idea behind it. In case you haven't looked outside recently, society is full of people that are just as bad (or maybe a bit less) as the people being killed in the movie.

example: the overly aggressive asshole driver on the highway who will endanger everyone around him so he can save a whole 5 fucking minutes of his time? He deserves to be shot.

This movie delivers on that fantasy. It's an outlet for all that frustration that comes with dealing with other people in general, without actually being driven to homicidal tendencies.

Mar 9, 2010
Mr.Mattress said:
Wrong. Albeit, I will probably watch the film, the idea it's relaying is basically a form of terrorism.
That is just unbelievable. Promoting terrorism? How do you get terrorism from 'old guy and little girl kill whiny privileged cunts?' I assume you're driving at the whole people with different opinions should die aspect of it but this film sure as shit isn't relaying basic forms of terrorism.

OT: You guys are fucking ridiculous. The film's taking the piss out of society and that's it. It's doing what everyone wants to do when they see some wanker fuck up their parking and do nothing about it. If you're sitting there making remarks about how uncivilised this film is then you really need to get over yourself, it's a piss take. You don't have to like it but don't begin to look down on it.

The film looks hilarious although I expect the story behind it won't just be about this guy's wacky murder spree. I look forward to finding out what that is but I anticipate that it'll ruin the piss take that it was supposed to be.

BathorysGraveland

Dec 7, 2011
Aeonknight said:
Here's the thing. No one is going to see this movie for the movie itself. The people interested in this love the idea behind it. In case you haven't looked outside recently, society is full of people that are just as bad (or maybe a bit less) as the people being killed in the movie.

example: the overly aggressive asshole driver on the highway who will endanger everyone around him so he can save a whole 5 fucking minutes of his time? He deserves to be shot.

This movie delivers on that fantasy. It's an outlet for all that frustration that comes with dealing with other people in general, without actually being driven to homicidal tendencies.
It's a damn morbid fantasy then. I watch films for the film's quality, and for entertainment. This film just seems to be about a protagonist vigilante who goes around acting high and mighty killing people he deems "deserves to die". Not exactly a good message, is it? Though maybe the full film is different, this is just a trailer after all.

Aeonknight

Apr 8, 2011
BathorysGraveland said:
Aeonknight said:

It's a damn morbid fantasy then. I watch films for the film's quality, and for entertainment. This film just seems to be about a protagonist vigilante who goes around acting high and mighty killing people he deems "deserves to die". Not exactly a good message, is it? Though maybe the full film is different, this is just a trailer after all.
Oh don't get me wrong, I fully recognize the hypocrisy of anyone thinking they're capable deeming others to deserve death. After all, the reason we hate them is their ego. But to dub them worthy of a bullet is a pretty egotistical thing in itself.

Hence why these little rampages don't happen. No matter how tempting it can be.

Aetera

Jan 19, 2011
AngelBlackChaos said:
Aetera said:
I saw this trailer a while ago and I really want to see it. It looks... cathartic.
Exactly. I thought it would be extremely pleasing, especially since I am so polite toward people i absolutely hate.

Also. Please, Pleasssseee tell me what your avatar is from. it looks extremely familiar and now i cant stop thinking about it.
Same. I'm outwardly polite as well, but this movie looks like a nice piece of wish-fulfillment.

Oh, and my avatar is Illyria from Angel. She's awesome.

Hammartroll

Mar 10, 2011
yeah, let's get mad at pretend TV people and act like reality shows are like real life.
I believe it's said that when you can no longer tell the difference between reality and fantasy your insane... so I'm gathering that television is turning all of America insane? because they think dumb ass characters in "reality" TV shows reflect real life?

TV now-a-days is designed to over hype things, even the news, so you don't need to go on a murderous rampage, real life aint that bad.

that movie is disgusting

Ympulse

Feb 15, 2011
The trailer was amusing. The movie most likely will be amusing. People that get offended by this sort of thing also amuse me.

all in all, great thread, OP!

viranimus

Thread killer
Nov 20, 2009
Its like falling down, but with the added ability to laugh at how funny it is for people getting what they deserve instead of the lame ass downer ending.

JoesshittyOs

Aug 10, 2011
GoaThief said:
JoesshittyOs said:
I have, it's one of my favorite movies. And once again, that's an extremely loose comparison, and my point still stands.
obtuse.
DAMMIT. I was gonna use that word instead of "loose". I was literally sitting there for five minutes thinking "Loose is definitely not the word I'm thinking of", and 'obtuse' was on the tip of my pretend internet tongue.

What were we talking about...? Oh yes, I meant to say that it is a very 'obtuse' argument (now I feel like I'm using it wrong) to link The Professional's Natalie Portman character to something like this. They're similar in that they're both kids who have a rather skewed yet innocently un-innocent (now there's definitely a better phrase I coulda used there) view of the world and take to their unorthodox mentors. But the settings to both these movies are entirely unrelated which makes that comparison fall on it's ass.

It's just a writing trope. It would be like saying the two whacky cop partners who end up liking each other at the end of the movie is completely ripping off Lethal Weapon. (once again, sure there's a much better comparison)