And the Nominees Are...

solidstatemind

Digital Oracle
Nov 9, 2008
Enough with Scott Pilgrim, Bob.

Was it a little different? Sure. Was it geek-tastic? Sure. Was it an exceptional example of cinema?

Fuck No!

I'm sorry that so many geeks feel like it was somehow transcendent. The truth is that it actually didn't introduce anything new-- it only exchanged old '60s Batman 'action balloons' (BIFF! BAM!) for higher rez events like coin drops.

Not anywhere near as revolutionary as you would seem to want to make it out to be.

Michael Cera can only play a twerp. The plot was straight out of geek fapping-fantasies, and you think it deserves any sort of credit?

Bob? It's time to get out of your mom's basement, put on 'big boy' pants, and realize that, if you want to be taken seriously, you need to stop evangelizing for Geek fanservice crap like 'Scott Pilgrim vs. the World'

MovieBob

Dec 31, 2008
sosolidshoe said:
Sorry chief but, to me, the story of a man compelled against his will to take a leadership position out of a sense of duty, and overcoming great personal issues to do so, is a more human and emotive story than a few arsehole businessmen and college students having a wank over a pile of money and congratulating themselves on how amazing they are, which is what TSN amounted to.

Why is it that any film which does well in Oscar nominations, but isn't a rank outsider in terms of genre, or full of unknown actors, is treated as if that fact alone has an impact on how good it is? Load of hipster bollocks, if you ask me :p
RE: "Oscar Bait" - if you haven't yet watched this, watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rbhrz1-4hN4

As regards the specific films in question... Naturally, it can't be seriously argued that the story in TKS - monarchs, royal sucession, World War II, overcoming disability, etc - is on it's face more interesting, human and even "important" than TSN's story of a handful of Harvard brats suing eachother over who invented what part of a website. But, to borrow a quote from Roger Ebert: Movies are not about what they are about but HOW they are about it. It's "in the telling," in other words.

Speaking only for myself, I thought TKS was a perfectly adequate movie; but also a decidedly unambitious and "boilerplate" one. No, not everything needs to reinvent the wheel - but by the same token not every wheel that comes off the assembly line is getting displayed in the Smithsonian. From the moment I first became aware of the film (and I mean prior to seeing even a trailer) I already knew more-or-less the exact movie to expect: Firth all clipped and mannered, Rush "zany" with private pain, constant hammering on British! Class! Differences!, the obligatory "ho-ho! That's so funny now!" jabs at hilariously-incorrect old-time medical advice, comic-relief "funny therapy" sequence ("LOLZ! He is cursing awkwardly!") the mandatory family structure (stern disapproving dad, cool-yet-callous brother, quietly-strong wife, unknowingly-insightful moppet children, etc) the poor-guy-oversteps/rich-guy-overreacts "breakup" scene, "b-b-but y-your majesty... he is... A POOR!" "Silence! He is my bestest buddy, class differences be damned!", the autumnal/washed-out contrasting color palette cinematography; right down to the impressively pretzel the narrative twists itself into in order to add dramatic-heft by making it seem as though "The Speech" is Bertie Versus Hitler: SHOWDOWN!!!" There's not really a single moment in it that breaks out of Historical Biopic 101. Again, IMHO.

On the flipside, TSN uses a slew of unexpected and/or unconventional narrative and visual techniques in order to tell it's story. The multi-layered lawsuit-upon-lawsuit flashback-structure most obviously; but also the editing, composition of scenes and even use of color. Most "techie" stories use heavy-lighting and "digital-looking" colors; this one goes for deep shadows and rich, aged tones to convey the "bigness" of what's actually going on - it's a movie about making a website that "looks" like a movie about building a Mafia Empire. Or the sequence with the boat race, using the "miniaturization-focus" camera trick to emphasize the idea of the "Old Money World" of the Winklevoss Twins being reduced in the face of the enroaching "New Money World" represented by Zuckerberg etc. There's more narrative/visual invention in the way Fincher executes the "simple" first-act scene of Jesse Eisenberg copy-pasting JPGs into Facesmash than there is in almost any of the other nominated films this year. For me, that's the difference.

runnernda

Feb 8, 2010
RTR said:
Isn't it about time for a director of a Pixar movie to get a nomination for it? If there's one word that can best describe the majority of Pixar's films, it's this: whiplash.
The movies are all about rapid changes in tone and atmosphere: one minute you're laughing, then you're crying, then you're on the edge of your seat. In the wrong hands, that could be disastrous. And with the exception of Cars, Pixar has always done it right.
I agree with you that Pixar movies are fantastic, but a lot of that is writing. I'm not sure how much say a director has in animated films.

OT: I too am disappointed in the snub of Daft Punk and Christopher Nolan for Best Director. When I was reading the nominee lists and didn't see him on there for Best Director, my thought was "Oh, this has to be a projections list. Right? RIGHT?"

Also, I loved Scott Pilgrim, and Edgar Wright did deserve a nom for Best Director. I don't think Bob mentioning that is too much. I particularly enjoy how a lot of you lambasting him for continuing to promote it didn't actually see it.

dante brevity

Apr 15, 2009
itf cho said:
SpaceSpork said:
Well... actually the initial thrust of my original post has been lost. It's not that Expendables is better Scott Pilgrim. Like I said, I didn't bother to see either -- incidentally, it was Bob's review of Scott Pilgrim that convinced me not to bother to see it.

The Expendables only really enter into it, because Bob spent a lot of his review of that movie lambasting the viewing public that chose to see it, instead of Pilgrim. That doesn't make it a better film - just a more popular one.

But my original post was simply to say... Bob, it's a new year now. Seriously, it's time to give up the whining about Scott Pilgrim.
Jumping into this fray, I'd like to defend Bob's attention to Pilgrim by saying that, despite not being a perfect movie or (admittedly itf cho) a popular movie, it was an important movie. Future audiences, for action movies particularly, will become used to seeing faster cuts, comic book and video game iconography, unapologetic graphical embellishments and other flourishes that, either poorly or (for the most part) well, were tried first in Pilgrim. The people, including Bob, who are pumping this film up are both acknowledging the likely upcoming shift in the zeitgeist and, as fans, encouraging studios to start getting behind this trend sooner rather than later. I don't think of this as "whining"; it's active advocacy of the medium.

itf cho

Custom title? Bah! oh wait...
Jul 8, 2010
dante brevity said:
itf cho said:
SpaceSpork said:
Well... actually the initial thrust of my original post has been lost. It's not that Expendables is better Scott Pilgrim. Like I said, I didn't bother to see either -- incidentally, it was Bob's review of Scott Pilgrim that convinced me not to bother to see it.

The Expendables only really enter into it, because Bob spent a lot of his review of that movie lambasting the viewing public that chose to see it, instead of Pilgrim. That doesn't make it a better film - just a more popular one.

But my original post was simply to say... Bob, it's a new year now. Seriously, it's time to give up the whining about Scott Pilgrim.
Jumping into this fray, I'd like to defend Bob's attention to Pilgrim by saying that, despite not being a perfect movie or (admittedly itf cho) a popular movie, it was an important movie. Future audiences, for action movies particularly, will become used to seeing faster cuts, comic book and video game iconography, unapologetic graphical embellishments and other flourishes that, either poorly or (for the most part) well, were tried first in Pilgrim. The people, including Bob, who are pumping this film up are both acknowledging the likely upcoming shift in the zeitgeist and, as fans, encouraging studios to start getting behind this trend sooner rather than later. I don't think of this as "whining"; it's active advocacy of the medium.
No arguments that Pilgrim could help expand the content that is brought to movies, and could affect stylistic choices as you mention. But you have to acknowledge that Bob's whining - indeed rant - right after Expendables trashed it at the box office was taken to ridiculous lengths.

sosolidshoe

May 17, 2010
MovieBob said:
-le snip-
Thank you for taking the time to respond Bob.

Regarding "Oscar Bait", my aim was to point out that, as far as I'm concerned, a film being "Oscar Bait", or marketed as such, has no bearing on whether or not it's a good film.

As far as your other comments, I believe this stems from a difference in the way we view movies. You appear to place great value on novelty in technique, which is understandable considering the amount of films you watch. Personally, I don't care, I watch the film and judge it by how much it managed to capture my attention throughout, and whether I found the story itself moving or at least interesting.

The reason I like The King's Speech more than TSN is, well, it's a better story, to my mind. I don't care that it doesn't break out of "Historical Biopic 101" because I generally don't watch biopics, as I find the stories of most celebrities and historical figures to actually be pretty dull, when you get right into them.

Finally, I wasn't actually taking a shot at you regarding TSN, that was the other chappy. I was taking a shot at YOU for liking Scott Pilgrim :p

Jordi

Jun 6, 2009
Is it just me, or does it seem like the committee watched only 10 movies last year, nominated them all for best picture and then decided that every other nominee for every other Oscar needed to be from one of those movies? I mean, I get that a good movie probably has good directing and actors and stuff (or it wouldn't be good), but it just seems a little absurd looking at this list.

LogicNProportion

Mar 16, 2009
...I think I'll mail Daft Punk my own, home-brewed awards considering the Academy seems to like being such douche-bags to talent. While they won't have any merit, perhaps it'll show them that we love them so. :)

Otherwise, good list. The lack of Tron and Scott Pilgrim makes my balls hurt...

SCAFC Chimp

Jan 6, 2010
Took one look at the trailer for TKS, and saw it as Oscar bait. Havent seen it, dont plan to. I hope Inception wins Best Pic, but it doesn't look likely. Or Toy Story 3, because almost every fan of Toy Story in general welled up.
Lack of Edgar Wright is painful. Is no one else annoyed at the lack of Inception actors nominated?

2fish

Sep 10, 2008
SpaceSpork said:
CosmicCommander said:
IT'S A REPUBLICAN!

GENTLEMEN, FFIIIIIRE!
Me no like King's Speech = Republican?

Sorry, good sir, this right here is one Democratic mothafucka.

EDIT: And would a republican have thought that Black Swan was a great movie? Didn't think so :p
A Republican could like Black Swan

A social Conservative probably wouldn't ;)

Also if Portman doesn't win for Black Swan I am going to summon the internets to rage about it.

(sorry but your conversation was a great starting point for my pointless emotions)

MB202

Sep 14, 2008
I was so excited to hear that Inception and Toy Story 3 were nominated, but this one person I know felt that Toy Story 3 should just stick with other animated movies and no be nominated for best picture at all. Her reasoning is that you can express and/or convey a number of different expressions and emotions through animation that you can't with real-life actors, and I guess that makes sense, but I just feel that, if the movie is good and worthy of best picture, then it doesn't matter if it's animated or not, it should be nominated, and even win if it's good enough.

...Although it looks like, despite the nomination, Toy Story 3 won't win best picture, obviously. Oh well, it was my favorite movie of the year.

ObsessiveSketch

Nov 6, 2009
Tron gets snubbed in every category they had a shot in? ESPECIALLY score?! Nolan gets no nod for Inception; what the crap, Academy?!

Squarez

Apr 17, 2009
itf cho said:
And may this be the last time we have to hear Bob lament over Scott Pilgrim. For crying out loud, Marmaduke made more money than that clunker. It was way too much of niche movie to ever have any real success.

So, Bob... get past it, and move on. Thank you.
Ticket sales = how good the movie is. Logic.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
eljawa said:
I dont think CHristopher Nolan deserved Best Director. The movie lacked ay real emotion and i dont remember a lot of character development, just a ton of cool shots and ideas.
You see, to me, I thought that was the point. I thought they didn't develop any characters other than Cobb because it wanted you to wonder if the whole thing was a dream or not. If none of the characters had depth, they could've well been projections.

Just my thoughts on the issue.

DSQ

Jun 30, 2009
Just to put in a word for The Illusionist if it wins (which it won't) it would deserve it. It was a brilliant film with a touching story and perfect animated depiction of Edinburgh. Y'know that pawn shop in the film with the ventriloquist dummy in the window. That is a real shop that is still in edinburgh. Apart from maybe The Prime of Miss Jean Broide, i have never seen a more faithful showing of edinburgh. And yes i am from edinburgh. I saw the premiare of The Illusionist at the edinburgh film festival.

You should con the Escapist in to letting you cover EIFF, it is really good. Okay maybe not as good as Sundance (i love skiing and inde movies that won't even get DVD distrabution) but it' pretty close.

Also it is sad to see people dismiss TKS as Oscar bait, as much as the marketing is for the Oscar the film is good on it's own terms without being made for an award...... :\

Now 500 Days of Summer, THAT was Oscar bait (not that it got any). Such a pretentious movie......

eljawa

Nov 20, 2009
Jaranja said:
eljawa said:
I dont think CHristopher Nolan deserved Best Director. The movie lacked ay real emotion and i dont remember a lot of character development, just a ton of cool shots and ideas.
You see, to me, I thought that was the point. I thought they didn't develop any characters other than Cobb because it wanted you to wonder if the whole thing was a dream or not. If none of the characters had depth, they could've well been projections.

Even cobb though...I mean, i dislike Dicaprio anyways so maybe im prejudice, but he was essentially a flat character

Zing

Oct 22, 2009
I have to agree on The King's Speech, the thing that drives it to be an exceptional movie is the performances. Firth and Rush(who is Australian by the way) carry the movie entirely, and I did get teary-eyed at the end. However, I can see that movie it's self was pretty formulaic(I want to say predictable, but that just seems stupid considering that it is a biopic).

Colin Firth is basically a lock, but Geoffrey Rush was the best part of the movie for me. I really didn't believe there was a better performance by a supporting actor this year, but then again I haven't seen The Fighter yet, maybe I will put aside my distaste for cheesy rags-to-riches/overcoming the odds boxing stories if Bale is that good..

Also there is no way you can even suggest Chloe Moretz delivered a performance on the same level as Hailee Steinfeld, who managed to carry a movie with Jeff fucking Bridges(who was also brilliant).

edit: also the social network/fincher should win picture/director imo.

Jaranja

Jul 16, 2009
eljawa said:
Jaranja said:
eljawa said:

Even cobb though...I mean, i dislike Dicaprio anyways so maybe im prejudice, but he was essentially a flat character
I didn't find that to be the case. Why dislike Dicaprio? He was good in Departed and Shutter Island.