"And you call yourself a gamer?!"

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
I am sure you have all heard some kind of "And you call yourself a ____ ?"
You know, when someone expects you to like/dislike something because of your identity, or what they think is your identity, but contrary to their belief, you dislike/like the thing they are talking about.

Confused?
Here are some examples:

You don't like Maple Syrup? And you call yourself a Canadian?
You don't like Baseball? And you call yourself an American?
You don't like Arch Enemy? And you call yourself a Metal-head?

Blah blah, there are countless examples like these, most of which are related to nationality and/or sports.
I was thinking the other day, "Are there any for gamers?"

Well fellow Escapists, are there?

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
The only one I can think of right now is:

You don't know what Pac Man is?
And you call yourself a gamer?

manythings

Nov 7, 2009
You're Irish, I bet you're drunk!

The most annoying part is that people say it as if they are the first person to say it and then get pissy when I use phrases like "Go fuck yourself!" as if I should be happy that they are foisting a stereotype on me.

On the Gamer side of things I never call myself I gamer and anyone who decides that you have to have done things to be a gamer is just someone who wants to make a group where they are important and can exclude others of insufficient purity.

Itsthatguy

Jan 22, 2011
Torrasque said:
The only one I can think of right now is:

You don't know what Pac Man is?
Iv got better

You cant play dwarf fortress?

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
One my friends and I (jokingly) use quite often:

You play on a console, and you call yourself a gamer? (we're all old and therefore(?) pc-elitists)

Matt Wood

Apr 29, 2011
"you dont liek modorn warefar!! and u call yourselve hardcore?!?!1?"
to this day i still cant tell if that guy was takeing the piss...with a name like xX_Dragon-Slayer_Xx you will never know...

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Matt Wood said:
"you dont liek modorn warefar!! and u call yourselve hardcore?!?!1?"
to this day i still cant tell if that guy was takeing the piss...with a name like xX_Dragon-Slayer_Xx you will never know...
Hardcore... what even =|
With a name like xX_Dragon-Slayer_Xx, its no wonder he didn't think you were hardcore enough.
That guy needs more X's in his name, he's not hardcore enough...
*cough*

Shoggoth2588

Aug 31, 2009
You've never played Final Fantasy VII?! And you call yourself a gamer...
You've only played Final Fantasy VII?! And you call yourself a gamer...
You don't know who Earthworm Jim is?! And you call yourself a gamer...

That's all I've got at the moment.

Dreamfiller

May 25, 2011
You dont live in the forest in a shack, eat bread made from flour and half of wood powder and wrestle with bears?! And you call your self FINNISH?!

Joking of some wierd finnish man stereotype.

But, gaming.

You didnt find the computer room? And you call your self a gamer?! -Shadow The Hedgehog i think.

GaryH

Sep 3, 2008
I think your example would be better if it was "You don't -like- Pac Man?" as that is just a matter of opinion and relates more to your first post. I'm not sure that it's possible to be a gamer (i.e. a fan of games) and not know what pac man is.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
I've been pretty much disowned from my family name for not liking cream ¬¬

It's just thick milk! And you know what? I'm not mad about milk either!

Captcha: 'marry me'

Whoah there captcha, I know you don't like cream either, but let's take things slow, m'kay?

EDIT: Whoopsie, forgot the gamer thing...

I've heard condescending remarks based on my reluctance to buy BlOps, sure, but I guess everyone who didn't buy it has too.

Layzor

Feb 18, 2009
I have an acquaintance that calls herself a "Fallout Girl", t-shirts and everything. Only played 3 and New Vegas.

SoopaSte123

Jul 1, 2010
"You play on a Wii and you call yourself a gamer?? Hahahaha."

and

"You illegally download games, then use cheats to play through them just so you can watch the cut-scenes and you call yourself a gamer? Seriously??"

Neither were directed at me.

OakTable

May 10, 2011
Never played Deus Ex? And you called yourself a gamer, liar.

EDIT: Well, it's not aimed at myself, but still.

Cheesus333

Aug 20, 2008
Layzor said:
I have an acquaintance that calls herself a "Fallout Girl", t-shirts and everything. Only played 3 and New Vegas.
Oooft, that's no good >.<

I know MUSE fans like that, actually. They stick Supermassive Black Hole on their iPod and suddenly they're Matt Bellamy's fiancée or something.

LaughingAtlas

Nov 18, 2009
I don't call myself a gamer, so I'm not sure if this applies, but...
"You don't obsessively hunt trophies/achievements no matter how frustrating, unrewarding, or fucking boring? You call yourself a gamer!?"

Captcha: Lesseres teacups
"Quite, with sugar, Jeeves!"

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
"You don't like kilts, football or bagpipes? And you don't hate the English? And you call yourself Scottish!"

Did you know that David Hume, among many other really important people, were Scottish?
How does William Wallace, an ignorant gangster who almost exclusively fought other Scottish people, meant to compare!?

And Bonnie Prince Charlie? A Catholic religious fundamentalist from France?? Really???

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
Actually while promoting my own small dev house at a convention this last weekend I actually met someone that had never played Mass Effect, to which I responded...

Sure its a fairly recent title, ergo, in the last decade and doesn't have the same level of nerdcore credibility as throwing down Pong or Space Invaders, but regardless, its the purest expression of an absolute space opera to have been created in our generation, so I tend to look at people, who haven't played it, a bit funny.