"And you call yourself a gamer?!"

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
GHudston said:
I'm not sure that it's possible to be a gamer (i.e. a fan of games) and not know what pac man is.
Exactly :p
Layzor said:
I have an acquaintance that calls herself a "Fallout Girl", t-shirts and everything. Only played 3 and New Vegas.
OW MY BRAIN.
Thats like kids these days that say they are Pokemon fans, but have only played Gen 3+.
Or worse yet, have only played Black and White >.>
drbarno said:
you don't play games? And you call yourself a gamer?
Thats going a wee bit too far, and is like saying "You don't have Carbon in your body? And you call yourself a human?"

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
brainless_fps_player said:
"You don't like kilts, football or bagpipes? And you don't hate the English? And you call yourself Scottish!"

Did you know that David Hume, among many other really important people, were Scottish?
How does William Wallace, an ignorant gangster who almost exclusively fought other Scottish people, meant to compare!?

And Bonnie Prince Charlie? A Catholic religious fundamentalist from France?? Really???
While your point is good sir, I am afraid you have missed the point of this thread :D

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
Torrasque said:
"You don't like kilts, football or bagpipes? And you don't hate the English? And you call yourself Scottish!"

Did you know that David Hume, among many other really important people, were Scottish?
How does William Wallace, an ignorant gangster who almost exclusively fought other Scottish people, meant to compare!?

And Bonnie Prince Charlie? A Catholic religious fundamentalist from France?? Really???
While your point is good sir, I am afraid you have missed the point of this thread :D
Yeah, well, it had to be said.

A relevant point might be that I don't prestige on CoD. Why not? Because I don't want to lose all my stuff for the sake of a teeny tiny permutation.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Torrasque said:

Yeah, well, it had to be said.

A relevant point might be that I don't prestige on CoD. Why not? Because I don't want to lose all my stuff for the sake of a teeny tiny permutation.
I agree. I never really got the point of Prestige-ing.
"Lose all my pretty guns, for some titles and emblems I won't use? No thanks".
I've only prestiged twice because I was bored.
imo, people that prestige care way too much about showing off their epeen.

Lt_Bromhead

Dec 14, 2008

Hate to be specific but kilts are Irish, not Scottish... ;)

EDIT: I know Scots WEAR kilts, but they're not actually a Scottish thing.
Nor are bagbipes either.

guntotingtomcat

Jun 29, 2010
Lt_Bromhead said:

Hate to be specific but kilts are Irish, not Scottish... ;)

EDIT: I know Scots WEAR kilts, but they're not actually a Scottish thing.
Nor are bagbipes either.
Believe me, Zulu reference, I know. Neither's haggis or golf. But I'm still expected by the broad demographic in this nation to think that (a) it is Scottish and (b) it's something I should for some reason be PROUD OF.

scnj

Nov 10, 2008
You didn't like Ocarina of Time? And you call yourself a gamer?

No, I didn't, and no, I don't.

My captcha suggests onduric therapy.

Zhukov

The Laughing Arsehole
Dec 29, 2009
"You like Bioshock better than Black Ops? And you call yourself a gamer?"

Come to think of it, no, no I do not. In fact, I've never even said the word "gamer" out load.

StereoMike

Jul 13, 2010
You've never played (really old game from recently revived/rebooted beloved franchise)? AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A GAMER???

Seriously what is wrong with calling yourself a fallout fan while not having played 1 & 2? Does that mean she's not allowed to like the other games? I mean I played fallout 2 for the first time when it came out, and have since played through it about a dozen times. I've also played through 3 and NV. But I never played the first one. Or suffered through the terrible spinoffs. So I'm not a fan then?

Captcha: burning oil. I am!

Tjebbe

Jul 2, 2008
Eleuthera said:
One my friends and I (jokingly) use quite often:

You play on a console, and you call yourself a gamer? (we're all old and therefore(?) pc-elitists)
Heh, the first thing I thought of was 'You play on a PC, and' :)

More because of the stupid flamewars around it than out of elitism though. I don't think that age has to do with it anymore, I remember the first reviews of EGA cards saying 'the PC can finally compare to the MSX and the Amiga in terms of graphics!', and I have preferred consoles ever since my good old NES. Ah, those were days.

JoJo

and the Amazing Technicolour Dream Goat 🐐
Legacy
Mar 31, 2010
Country
🇬🇧
StereoMike said:
You've never played (really old game from recently revived/rebooted beloved franchise)? AND YOU CALL YOURSELF A GAMER???

Seriously what is wrong with calling yourself a fallout fan while not having played 1 & 2? Does that mean she's not allowed to like the other games? I mean I played fallout 2 for the first time when it came out, and have since played through it about a dozen times. I've also played through 3 and NV. But I never played the first one. Or suffered through the terrible spinoffs. So I'm not a fan then?
This, I consider myself a huge Fallout fan, both 3 and NV are among my top 5 games I've ever played, and yet I've never played 1 or 2. Why? Because they were both released years before I even started gaming and appear very different to the current ones, when there are still new games out now I'd like to play I'm not going to go back to outdated ones. You can play just one game of a series and still be a fan.

Eleuthera

Let slip the Guinea Pigs of war!
Sep 11, 2008
Tjebbe said:
Heh, the first thing I thought of was 'You play on a PC, and' :)

More because of the stupid flamewars around it than out of elitism though. I don't think that age has to do with it anymore, I remember the first reviews of EGA cards saying 'the PC can finally compare to the MSX and the Amiga in terms of graphics!', and I have preferred consoles ever since my good old NES. Ah, those were days.
Maybe not age then, but I've owned an Amiga, Commodore, Game boy and NES and never were they more then a toy, gaming on the PC however is a real hobby and therefore I'm a 'gamer' on the PC and I might 'play games' on a console.

No offense to any console 'gamers' of course :)

Lilani

Sometimes known as CaitieLou
May 27, 2009
I don't call myself a gamer. Other people do. I just like video games. I also like books, movies, kayaking, drawing, photography, and cashew chicken. Sadly, among all of those, video games has the most readily available label, so that's the one that overshadows all the rest.

Torrasque

Aug 6, 2010
Squishfield said:
I had to explain what a magic bar was to someone doing a degree in video game development.

No joke.
=|
That is seriously disappointing.
Its like explaining what "hp" stands for.

CrashBang

Jun 15, 2009
You've never played Ocarina Of Time/Goldeneye 64/FFVII/Halo/Fallout/Bioshock/Shadow Of The Colossus/Metal Gear Solid/Portal/Half-Life 2/any other classic or awesome game and you call yourself a gamer?
Actually, I've never played Fallout 1 or 2... yeeeeah

EDIT: It's not gaming related but I have had this phrase said to me. Until 2 years ago (I was 19 then) I hadn't ever listened to Refused and a friend of mine, very aggressively, said to me "you've never listened to Refused?! And you call yourself a punk fan?!"
I've also had things like "you've never read Watchmen?! And you call yourself a comic book fan?!" But I bought and read Watchmen like a year ago so don't panic, I'm not weird any more