Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
LoL, love the politically charged nature of these discussions:

"Guns aren't necessary and the world would be a better place without them"

"But they help law abiding citizens defend against armed criminals"

"But if there were no guns, then that wouldn't be necessary"

"But blah"

"But blah blah"

When push comes to shove, there is no actual harm in them producing plastic guns with actual functional working parts, these actually exist already. Guns that fire with minimum metal parts still have metal parts. You would never be able to create a firing pin out of plastic that could in fact fire a bullet, for example. It's kind of paranoid that they even pull the printer based on the mere mention of plastic guns with functional parts for the reason I stated above.

That said, the people at at the gunmaker leased a product and didn't buy, meaning that paranoia aside, the actual owners of the printer can take it away at their leisure for whatever reason they choose.

This shouldn't erupt into a debate about guns as this is not actually a good forum for such discussions, as we have learned in the past here.

Geo Da Sponge

May 14, 2008
"We look to inspire and defend those who live (and are threatened to live) under politically oppressive regimes. Firearm Rights are Human Rights."
I don't want to get into the broader gun debate, but... He does realise that if something is a human right, then literally every human gets it? Including children and the mentally ill?

Though to be fair to him it's hard to find a phrase to describe Rights that apply to everyone apart from those who are incapable of benefiting from them.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Rainforce said:
I lost the second I considered posting in a gun thread, but let's do this for the hell of it anyways:
the content of this thread is and always will be:
- >50% of all people from the US talking about freedom, needs more guns, and various absurd "that wouldn't have happened with more guns" scenarios
- reasonable people that get shot down (heh) by the other party.
none of them will ever listen to the other side, leading to a never ending discussion for and against the greatest US stereotype.
Well done people, we once more have proven our superiority through stubbornness and inability to learn.
Maybe one day people will see that those with guns will always shoot first at those who carry guns as well.
Being harmelss and uninteresting is what secures survival, not being a threat to everything around you (especially not other threats).
/rant
Haha, I enjoyed your rant until the end. Being harmless and uninteresting does not secure survival. That is only taking into account one situation, not both or all.

The debate itself is interesting though. The only way to defend against people with guns is to have your own gun. The fact that so many guns exist in the world is already fact. The thing that I find a lot of people miss is that it only matters on a case to case basis. People who don't live in the same areas as other people, who don't have the same environment aren't fit to dictate what people in that situation would/could/should do. That applies to for both sides. People who are pro-gun think more people should own them, people who are anti-gun think everyone should give them up.

Sniper Team 4

Apr 28, 2010
Defense Distributed's mind set scares me. I would not feel comfortable at all if people were able to just print out a gun whenever they wanted. Walking around in a world like that, I'd be afraid any time I went out into public.

lowkey_jotunn

Feb 23, 2011
Will the angry Minnisoteans be accosting the home depot next?

Home made guns are hardly a new things.

Maybe we should arrest people who are carrying flashlights

The real problem here is that the "angry Minnisoteans" don't understand where to direct their vitriol. They want to slap the hands of anyone who is thinking about making something that might possibly be used for nefarious purposes. That's 3-generation missing the point.

How about we teach our kids that it's not OK to shoot someone, instead of trying to control every avenue by which someone can be shot.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
DugMachine said:
The Plunk said:
Okay do I have to be the one to point out the wedding dress. Lolwat
Don't worry I was thoroughly confused by it too. And then I saw the guy on the right who I thought have smeared his face in blue paint, and immediately then thought of Tobias from Arrested Development.

Frontastic said:
The world by Dead Rising logic. A truly scary future awaits humanity.
Perfect! I'll get the "massager" launcher ready!

Evil Smurf

Admin of Catoholics Anonymous
Nov 11, 2011
Perhaps they can make me a fuck to give to the people who are pro gun. I don't have any you see.

sleeky01

Jan 27, 2011
Plastic guns? Really?

If I really wanted to do violence I'd be making bomb casings....That looked like whatever I wanted.

Not to mention the opportunities for smuggling.

Gilhelmi

The One Who Protects
Oct 22, 2009
ravenshrike said:
In America there are various forms you have to send to the ATF before you can make some kinds of firearm
Sorry Adam, but this is very, very wrong. Unless it is an NFA weapon or a full auto, no paperwork is needed. And for NFA weapons you just fill out the Form 1 on the BATFE's site and 200 dollars later you can make one. Can't make full-auto's though.

In any case, a single shot .22lr pistol, what they were trying to make, needs no paperwork. The fun part is gonna be when Cody Wilson sues that pants off of Stratasys for violating the terms of the lease.

Also, I would like to point out that Stratasys is the functional equivalent of a cross between the worst DRM and vendor lockdown attributes of Apple and Microsoft put together in the 3D printer world.
Well said. I pray for the day that Americans can, once again, follow their dreams without having too jump through legal hoops.

I mean, it would be one thing if what they were doing was illegal, But its not. As much as some on this site might claim otherwise. It is really not illegal, I could do it today, if it was not for the fact that I prefer too buy my firearms from people that know more about engineering then me.

Baresark

Dec 19, 2010
Geo Da Sponge said:
"We look to inspire and defend those who live (and are threatened to live) under politically oppressive regimes. Firearm Rights are Human Rights."
I don't want to get into the broader gun debate, but... He does realise that if something is a human right, then literally every human gets it? Including children and the mentally ill?

Though to be fair to him it's hard to find a phrase to describe Rights that apply to everyone apart from those who are incapable of benefiting from them.
I feel like I am pointing out the obvious but, the bigger picture is the right to defend one's self. He is focusing on guns to accomplish that, and his statement wasn't exclusionary of children or the mentally ill. That is where all gun debates seem to break down is not understanding this very basic principle. Guns are about the broader spectrum ability to defend yourself, mostly against people with guns.

I find the most interesting aspect to be the attention subjects like this actually get.. I mean, you take the death by gun rate in a country like America, and it's not a small number. But it pales into insignificance compared to auto accidents, work place deaths, and so on. It's from what is called an availability cascade. A thread like this produces a lot of statistics (some good and some not so good), and it creates a set of events where people end up with recall and discussion of things that is central to their thoughts. You get the same thing with the war on terror.

As a side note, I am just making observations about this subject. I have no interest what so ever in picking a side because at the end, neither side is explicitly right or wrong.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Frontastic said:
Plastic guns... would that even work? Like yeah BB guns etc are fine but if we're talking real, dangerous guns wouldn't plastic ones just shatter when fired?
Many of the parts of the Glock are made of a plastic polymer, but I'm not sure if that counts.

Spacefrog

Apr 27, 2011
Saucycarpdog said:
Frontastic said:
Plastic guns... would that even work? Like yeah BB guns etc are fine but if we're talking real, dangerous guns wouldn't plastic ones just shatter when fired?
Many of the parts of the Glock are made of a plastic polymer, but I'm not sure if that counts.
It does.
It may come as a shock to many (at least 1/3 of the commenters on this tread) 3D printers can do other materials that cheap plastic.
Right now i am actually consulting a small 3D print company, and altough they mainly work in hardened plastics (a bit tougher than the stuff lego uses) they can produce in a wide variety of materials.
Some of those materials include metals for tools, moulding and machine parts.
Basicly, if the material can be melts, it can be made in a 3D printer, so making a functioning gun would not be a problem at all.

And yes i know those printers are too exspencive for the avarage consumer to buy, but so was the plastic printer not 5 years ago.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Andy Shandy said:
Frontastic said:
The world by Dead Rising logic. A truly scary future awaits humanity.
Perfect! I'll get the "massager" launcher ready!

Ok, never played Off the Record but good god that was a thing in there?? Come on Capcom, you guys used to have some class (I stress the 'some'). What is this, Saints Row?

You can have your fling-er of depravity sir! I for one look forward to this new age humanity for the easy access to lightsabres we'll all have.

havoc33

Jun 26, 2012
Didn't read all the comments, but I'm horrified by to read the OP's story. Such a weapon would be any criminal's dream.

I know it doesn't count for all of you, but it has to be said; Americans have a very, very unhealthy view when it comes to gun laws. It seems like you think everything can be solved as long as you have your gun. Why don't you start having mandatory gun lessons in primary school while you're at it? I'm quite sure that will help you all feel safe. More guns, more freedom! *sigh*

Blackdoom

Sep 11, 2008
Seems like a rather simplistic way of replicating weapons.

Frontastic said:
I remember a while back a guy made a replica of an AK out of paper that worked, last time I checked he had got it to fire and cycle rounds.

Frontastic

Aug 3, 2010
Blackdoom said:
Seems like a rather simplistic way of replicating weapons.

Frontastic said:
I remember a while back a guy made a replica of an AK out of paper that worked, last time I checked he had got it to fire and cycle rounds.
That's... rather frightening. Any war in 20/30 years should be pretty interesting...