Anime visual styles you can't stand

Kahunaburger

May 6, 2011
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uSAoQXqwus

---

What's your hate for Key, anyways? Do you hate love? Are you somehow against family? Are you so insecure that seeing someone else have a family angers you?
Ahahahahaha

Does this guy like, go around in search of people dissing this show to rage at?

Man, uguu~~ [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2GRpwwS8M] is apparently srs bsns.

OT:

Uguuuuuuu~~~~~

straymatter

May 1, 2012
Like:

[/spoiler]

Dislike:

[spoiler][img src="http://www.absoluteanime.com/yu-gi-oh/index.jpg"][/spoiler]

With exceptions, of course.

The Wykydtron

"Emotions are very important!"
Sep 23, 2010
Whatever you call the Cowboy Bebop style I cannot stand. Just too much shading I think. It's not... Light enough? A bit too serious kinda?

I hold a special hatred for those manga that have the style where everything looks like a sketch rather than a complete page. Like they got all the outlines of the characters and when it came to bolding them out and adding all the other features they just said " eh it's fine as it is"

Lucky almost all of that is in Shojo manga. I don't care much for that stuff.

I love I suppose you'd call the more standard anime style, just look at my avatar and it's pretty that and all variants of it. Really liking Hyouka this season as a result, plus the mysteries in that are so fucking good.

Caligulove

Sep 25, 2008
This might sound ignorant to the troves of super anime fans on this site.

But I can barely tell anime art styles apart. Other than something drastic like Dragonball vs Cowboy Bebop. Maybe I dont watch enough.

Saucycarpdog

Sep 30, 2009
Casual Shinji said:
I like anime with a soft, warm and down to earth design.

Unfortunately, the latter is all anime seems to be as of late.
Ok, I'm pretty sure two of the three top pictures are american. The middle one I know is my neighbor totoro(I think I spelled that wrong).

BlazeRaider

Dec 25, 2009
...I actually like many of the big eyed ones everyone is hating on. WHY AM I ALWAYS ON THE FRINGE?!?!?

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
I think I prefer the older looking stuff

I cant stand alot of it, even stuff like kwata shoujo, the charachters feel indistinguishable from each other except for hair and body types

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
[Kira Must Die said:
]
Marik2 said:
Colour-Scientist said:
Lilani said:
The Secret of Kells.
Does that count as anime? I thought that was just ye olde animation? Or does all animation come under anime now?

OP: I don't know too much about different styles. I do hate these kinds of expressions though:

Yeah I really don't like those anime facial expressions, especially when the anime is suppose to be serious. Nothing wrong with cracking a few jokes, but don't do it in such a looney toonesque way
Same here, although I don't see those kinds of expressions very often in animes nowadays.
Damn this is a really old thread and it was necrod by some guy raging on that post that keeps getting quoted XD

Don Savik

Aug 27, 2011
Vault101 said:
I think I prefer the older looking stuff

I cant stand alot of it, even stuff like kwata shoujo, the charachters feel indistinguishable from each other except for hair and body types
I second this. I don't mind abstract body proportions if the art style fits it, but most of the time its not because the universe is trying to play it off like the bug-eyed small-mouth no-nosed large-breasted pink-haired people are real everyday humans.

I wonder if anyone has taken a bunch of anime screenshots and photoshopped the hair out to see how different the character designs really are. It would be interesting to say the least.

Vault101

I'm in your mind fuzz
Sep 26, 2010
Don Savik said:
I second this. I don't mind abstract body proportions if the art style fits it, but most of the time its not because the universe is trying to play it off like the bug-eyed small-mouth no-nosed large-breasted pink-haired people are real everyday humans.

I wonder if anyone has taken a bunch of anime screenshots and photoshopped the hair out to see how different the character designs really are. It would be interesting to say the least.
agree...though to be fair in kwata shoujo's case the differences is body types on the characters are somewhat realistic and subtle...it just annoys me that you'd waste that with "cut and paste" faces

General Twinkletoes

Suppository of Wisdom
Jan 24, 2011
OneBrokePony said:
TehCookie said:
As a huge fan of anime there are only a few styles that I cannot stand to watch. Though the one I hate the most is this:

For a less extreme example see Clannad.
Uncanny. Canyon. This goes beyond the valley.
That's not the uncanny valley :p That implies they look human with something slightly off.

But that's the style I despise. Cutesy chibi style is so terrible. Cowboy bebop and grave of the fireflies is the style I like,

Instant K4rma

StormFella
Aug 29, 2008
Kahunaburger said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6uSAoQXqwus

---

What's your hate for Key, anyways? Do you hate love? Are you somehow against family? Are you so insecure that seeing someone else have a family angers you?
Ahahahahaha

Does this guy like, go around in search of people dissing this show to rage at?

Man, uguu~~ [http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TT2GRpwwS8M] is apparently srs bsns.

OT:

Uguuuuuuu~~~~~
Oh, fuck! Now I'm an arachnophobe. I don't think I'm going to dream tonight after that.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Saucycarpdog said:
Casual Shinji said:
I like anime with a soft, warm and down to earth design.

Unfortunately, the latter is all anime seems to be as of late.
Ok, I'm pretty sure two of the three top pictures are american. The middle one I know is my neighbor totoro(I think I spelled that wrong).
No, all three are Japanese.

The top one is an anime of The Wizard of Oz, and the third one is the anime Peter Pan no Boken.

loa

Jan 28, 2012
I stopped playing dragon quest for the ps2 because everything looked like freaking dragon ball.

WHY DO THEY ALWAYS LOOK SO ANGRY. Urgh...
Really, once that "dbz simplified standard angry face" is ingrained in your memory, you can't unsee it.

Disgaea took some serious getting used to too.

It's grating on my tolerance for stupid character designs.
Especially disgaea 2 scrapes the bottom of the barrel when it comes to that.
Sometimes, form should be inspired by function. At least a little.

Relish in Chaos

Mar 7, 2012
Read the Dragon Ball manga up until the Saiyan arc if you want to see Akira Toriyama?s artwork at its best. Yes, it does fall foul to some character design limitations, but apart from that, the characters are smooth, rounded, unique and full of life.

When Toriyama?s artwork took a dive around the Cell arc, it was only exacerbated by certain staffs of Toei Animation when they animated his work. That?s when you get "triangle crap".

What I hate is the generic anime design of those massive eyes, stupid ?cutesy? expressions, and pointy features.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Gonna have to go with the style used in Hellsing. Not the ultimate version the original anime the ultimate version is freaking gorgeous.

Oh yes and the style used in episode 4 of tengen toppa gurren lagann...that was just a weird episode.