Anime visual styles you can't stand

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Let me say this: I love Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. It's easily one of my favorite animes of all time. However, I utterly loath the fifth episode. Why? Because of this:

They completely change the art style for the second half of that episode, and I really, really dislike this form of anime. That being said... I did get a chuckle when they did this:

Dood

Mar 10, 2012
Most of the time I can stand any style as long as it seems to actually fit with the show(this may be kinda hard to explain) but very creepy characters designs would probably turn me off of it.

MasterMasamune

May 3, 2012
I hate Akira Toriyama's style because of the super-spiky hair that so many of his characters have.

I also can't stand Disgaea: Hour of Darkness's art, but I can't quite figure out why. However, I find the styles of 2, 3, and 4 much better.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Leemaster777 said:
Let me say this: I love Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. It's easily one of my favorite animes of all time. However, I utterly loath the fifth episode. Why? Because of this:

They completely change the art style for the second half of that episode, and I really, really dislike this form of anime.
What form of anime might that art style be?

Leemaster777

Feb 25, 2010
Flamezdudes said:
Leemaster777 said:

They completely change the art style for the second half of that episode, and I really, really dislike this form of anime.
What form of anime might that art style be?
I dunno, it's kinda pseudo-realistic. Not sure if it actually has a NAME. Not really an anime expert. Here's the episode in question:

I think I mostly dislike it because it juxtaposes so harshly with Panty and Stocking's normal animation style. As illustrated by the episode's ending.

Wintermoot

Aug 20, 2009
TehCookie said:
As a huge fan of anime there are only a few styles that I cannot stand to watch. Though the one I hate the most is this:

For a less extreme example see Clannad.
what the fuck is wrong with their.... EVERYTHING?! please tell me that,s shopped!
OT
I agree I hate that style on the other hand I love the older 80,s style like Zeta gundam and Votoms I also love ABe,s style
love

hate

also fuck chibi,s

Jorec

Jul 7, 2010
I don't really like "generic" looking anime. I know that sounds vague but I can' think of any show in particular whose style I dislike.

Maybe the likes of Cowboy Bebop, Outlaw Star, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell(the movie) and the Satoshi Kon movies spoiled most anime for me. I just can't get into it if the visual aesthetic is unappealing or arguably worse, generic looking.

Lunatic High

Apr 14, 2012
TehCookie said:
As a huge fan of anime there are only a few styles that I cannot stand to watch. Though the one I hate the most is this:

For a less extreme example see Clannad.
I watch tons of anime and as such have seen it done in many different ways and this pic pretty much sums it up in the sense that something can be so cute its ugly. I mean just look at it...it looks like they're both fucked on bath salts or something. And sure expression contorts the face but that doesn't mean that the nose vanishes into the ether.

Don't get me wrong though I'm not against the "BIG EYE" thing so long as the subject matter is a little more mature. Take Higurashi no Naku Koro Ni (or however the hell you say it) sure the use of gigantic cutesy eyes was apparent but the subjuect matter was dark enough in the long run that I could over look it, though it barely made the "happy medium" that I seem to notice with most animes these days. In my opinion it looks good if the subject matter contrasts character appearance but thats just me.

Scrustle

Apr 30, 2011
TehCookie said:
That's disturbing. They look like inbred frogs.

DarkRyter said:
Initial D kinda freaks me out.
What's freaky about Initial D?

OT: I don't really think I hate any style of anime in particular, it's more to do with just the general quality. But I really don't like the kind of stuff that looks like it's drawn by someone who has only ever seen a lazy parody of anime, like Yu-Gi-Oh. I mean that hair. Come on.