Anime visual styles you can't stand

CODE-D

Feb 6, 2011
Lilani said:
The title may seem redundant to some, but all of you anime watchers know what I'm talking about. The style of anime is highly varied, and has gone through many common trends and common styles over the years. I've been in an anime club for the last few years in college, and I've been exposed to more anime than I ever have in any other part of my life.

And it's made me realize that there are a few genres and styles within anime that I love, and some which I absolutely detest. For example, recently I've come to realize I really don't like the visual style of Dragonball. Or DBZ, or DBZX and whatever else. The male characters have that hypermasculine/overly buff look which I can't stand in western art either, and the faces and eyes of all the characters just look so awkward to me. I mean really, I am quite open to quirky visual styles when it comes to my anime, and really animation in general. I love the garish colors and patterns in Gankutsuou: The Count of Monte Christo, and the medieval manuscript style and perspective of The Secret of Kells. But I really can't get over how lumpy and visually unappealing DBZ is to me. I understand how groundbreaking it was and all, I just can't stand to look at it.

So what are the styles within anime you just can't stand? Or is it just the "anime" style in general you don't like?
I liked both gankutsuou and dbz styles, but its not really fair since dbz is both older and a more simplistic style. Also its specificaly akira toriyamas own, so I respect that.

Eclipse Dragon

Lusty Argonian Maid
Legacy
Jan 23, 2009
Country
United States
Gotta say the DBZ, like everybody else seems to dislike.

At first glance, it never annoyed me, but then I started seeing it.... EVERYWHERE (chrono trigger, dragon quest), and now I just can't stand it. Also I like a little more distinction between characters. They just tend to look to much the same in this style.

Also can't say I'm a fan of the super cute sailor moon type styles either.

I like the look of series like Trigun and the studio ghibli films.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Casual Shinji said:
I like anime with a soft, warm and down to Earth design.

Unfortunately, the latter is all anime seems to be as of late.
Urgh, I cannot stand CLAMP's designs. They look like Gumby's relatives coated in anime paint. I like stuff like Lupin III or some of the 90s designs. I like the sketchy characters and fancy backgrounds more than the modern stuff. It just seems so flat, and in the case of Kyon, fucking alien.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Soviet Heavy said:
Casual Shinji said:
I like anime with a soft, warm and down to Earth design.

*image snip*

Unfortunately, the latter is all anime seems to be as of late.
Urgh, I cannot stand CLAMP's designs. They look like Gumby's relatives coated in anime paint. I like stuff like Lupin III or some of the 90s designs. I like the sketchy characters and fancy backgrounds more than the modern stuff. It just seems so flat, and in the case of Kyon, fucking alien.
Yeah, it's mainly anime that is so overly shiny and overly designed it looks like the characters are made out of licorice and marzipan.

Character design shouldn't call way too much attention to itself. Which is why I always loved Ghibli's designs.

Revnak_v1legacy

Fixed by "Monday"
Mar 28, 2010
I'm just gonna say bad ones and be done with it. Now I know what you're thinking, "how can style be objectively bad?" and know that I agree with you. I honestly can't think of an anime where I was turned off by the art style rather than the terrible quality of animation or art. For this reason I dislike a whole lot of older stuff simply because it isn't up to date with modern animation and artistic quality, though the designs themselves still hold up.

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
TehCookie said:
As a huge fan of anime there are only a few styles that I cannot stand to watch. Though the one I hate the most is this:

For a less extreme example see Clannad.
OMG that looks so freaky .__.

The mouths and the eyes... It's like it was drawn by an alien who only vaguely know what a human looks like.
Or the Voldemort nose slits. Hold on, Voldemort doesn't get picked up by spellcheck?

Soviet Heavy

Jan 22, 2010
Mortai Gravesend said:
Soviet Heavy said:
Mortai Gravesend said:
TehCookie said:
As a huge fan of anime there are only a few styles that I cannot stand to watch. Though the one I hate the most is this:

OMG that looks so freaky .__.

The mouths and the eyes... It's like it was drawn by an alien who only vaguely know what a human looks like.
Or the Voldemort nose slits. Hold on, Voldemort doesn't get picked up by spellcheck?
Do they even get nose slits? I guess they might have them between their eyes somewhere...

My spell check does get Voldemort. Hmm.
Very very faint ones on the red specimen.

Flamezdudes

Aug 27, 2009
Anime styles like DN Angel and most of the moe crap usually pisses me off.

Clannad is an exception though, I fucking love Clannad.

I love Evangelion, Ergo Proxy and 5 Centimeters Per Second's art styles if I have to give examples of the sort of style I like. There are others though.

Sep 24, 2008
Visual styles I can't stand? I'm impartial to most drawing styles. I can get lost into anything if the story is good enough.

But there's something I can't stand. Fucking pervs animating these things. High School of the Dead would be a good zombie anime if EVERY SHOT DIDN'T HAVE TO FOCUS ON CROTCH OR CLEAVAGE. I was sucked into the promises of lifelong friendship and betrayal seconds later after one of them got bit. And now I literally have to peek over these 'high school' girls' breasts to actually see the damn drama.

Fuck it, Japan. We know you're repressed. Just stop drawing pictures of women that don't exist in nature, actually go meet a live female, get all that frustration out and live normal lives. It's starting to effect your... everything!

captcha: Watch Out. Now it's threatening me. CAPTCHA, ONE DAY WE SHALL MEET ON THE FIELD OF BATTLE!

OneBrokePony

Jul 20, 2011
TehCookie said:

Uncanny. Canyon. This goes beyond the valley.

Scarim Coral

Jumped the ship
Legacy
Oct 29, 2010
Country
UK
TehCookie said:

This.
Sure I'm open minded to different animation styles that is however the animation style is off putting, mainly the ones where they got their eye proportion is so large that it cover most of the face if not all of it!
However in saying so the anime Saber Marionette J was sometimes like that so I guess that is my borderline (so the style was werid but I still like watching that anime).

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
Lilani said:
The Secret of Kells.
Does that count as anime? I thought that was just ye olde animation? Or does all animation come under anime now?

OP: I don't know too much about different styles. I do hate these kinds of expressions though:

Colour Scientist

Troll the Respawn, Jeremy!
Jul 15, 2009
TehCookie said:
This is going to sound insensitive but they actually look retarded. As in, they look like something went seriously wrong soon after conception.

neonsword13-ops

~ Struck by a Smooth Criminal ~
Mar 28, 2011
TehCookie said:

Are those even eyes? Is this even real?

Mother of god, that's horrifying.