Anonymous announces its plan to destroy facebook

scorptatious

The Resident Team ICO Fanboy
May 14, 2009
I actually hope they don't go through with this. My parents use their Facebook as a way of contacting potential clients in their business.

tirone231

Jul 11, 2009
Seeing how the most that Anon has ever been able to do (according to public knowledge) is temporarily disable the public websites of major companies, I doubt that any "attack" on Facebook would be long lasting. Even of they were responsible for the crippling of Sony's online network, that was still just a temporary problem. Even if it did cause Sony's stock value to drop, they'll probably recover in full with the release of Resistance 3, and Uncharted 3.

The hackers I worry about are the ones who never announce their presence, and are able to do a lot of damage with Identity Theft.

tirone231

Jul 11, 2009
canadamus_prime said:
Ok, I don't think even Anonymous is capable of that. I be shedding any tears if they do happen to succeed though. I do question why they'd do such a thing though, what do they have against Facebook?
watch the video in the OP's link, it explains everything.

Grant Hobba

Aug 30, 2010
Saucycardog said:
http://thebitfix.com/2011/08/anonymous-announces-operation-facebook/

Good luck with that anonymous. I'm pretty sure you're not even big enough to take out facebook.

are these just the kids who have no friends and must take action against social networking because of the aforementioned?

seriously. Why do they think they can bring down an entity that has more lunch money than possibly every person involved in the group. FB is GARGANTUAN lol :)good luck morons.

Arafiro

Mar 26, 2010
viranimus said:
I think theres more than enough people who are beyond pissed off at how screwed up things currently are and the various ways they are being screwed over.
What?
I don't mean to be aggressive or anything, but I haven't been able to make sense of your posts in this topic so far in that you haven't actually stated what the problems are, only that they were a consequence of the "public's actions" and somehow the fault of Facebook.

What are the "problems", and how would you decribe how "things currently are"?

cdstephens

Apr 5, 2010
, They can at the very least temporarily take down the site if they break the firewall. Really, it's just a matter of how secure Facebook managed to make itself. Considering that anon could break through an FBI firewall to do a DOS attack, breaking through FB's firewall shouldn't be much harder.

After the site is disrupted and temporarily brought down, they could gain administrative access to people's personal info. 99% of it would be garbage info anyways though, so that's not an issue. If, on the other hand, Facebook was doing anything illicitly and anon were to get a hold of that, then FB would be in trouble.

In the likely chance that they can't get anything illicit because a) hacking into Facebook wouldn't get them any information because they're stored elsewhere, or b) they can't hack into FB in the first place, then no harm done. Even if FB is hacked, it'll probably just be disrupted for a little while and anon will do something funny like put Guy Fawkes masks as everyone's profile pic or something.

What I'm wondering though is if theoretically *delete* everyone's information.

WOPR

Aug 18, 2010
cdstephens said:
I'll be sure to have some popcorn ready.
For what? The huge news broadcasts that'll be interrupting every show on TV?

or the teenage girls and stay-at-home moms committing suicide in the streets because they think they LITERALLY can't live without it..?
(before anyone thinks I'm joking, I've seen 14-16 year old dudes and girls pretty much try that when cell service when out... only they weren't committing suicide so much as destroying their front yards and crying and smoking pot (at the same time...))

All that being said, I kinda hope this happens because I'm tired of my mom clicking everything on her facebook and getting viruses...

but that's just me

I wonder if it does happen... how many people will go "oh... dang... BACK TO MYSPACE!"

sb666

Fake Best
Apr 5, 2010
Country
Australia
Saucycardog said:
http://thebitfix.com/2011/08/anonymous-announces-operation-facebook/

Good luck with that anonymous. I'm pretty sure you're not even big enough to take out facebook.
i actually think its possible facebook has been hacked before

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
I'd rather them try and put some pain on the owner who has no idea what privacy means.

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
They will disable Facebook for a week or two (at most) steal information then get bored and move on. In other words, accomplish nothing of significance.

Dr. Danger

Let's Talk Lobotomy
Dec 24, 2008
I hope they don't. Ever since my PC got a system wipe, facebook is my only access to pictures of years ago.

Sep 30, 2010
Alright Anonymous is finally fighting the good fight. If they can do it more power to them.
I hope they succeed partially because of my strong hatred of Facebook and partially because I would love to see what will happen if they succeed. The chaos will be astounding.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Anonymous is overrated. They say they are legion - I doubt there are more than a few hundred who can actually do anything of any substance. There have been plenty of "anonymous" gangs and groups throughout history. Every single resistance group has claimed that they are invisible, anonymous, omnipresent and invincible. They never are.

Given that there are hundreds of thousands of people who work in law-enforcement, anonymous will never outnumber them. And even if they do, they don't outnumber the majority of society who despise them. Go ahead, try to take down face book - we'll see how much public love that earns you.

They are making the exact same mistake that "revolutionary" groups have made throughout time - they are mistaking themselves FOR the people. They are not "The People" - they are PEOPLE, but they do not represent "THE PEOPLE". Like it or not, people like Facebook. Personally, I don't like Facebook, I've never used Facebook, and I never will use Facebook, but others do - and don't people have a right to use Facebook?

Why should Anonymous dictate who can use the internet? Or what sites should be there? Some Libertarians they are! So much for their cries of "Freedom!" With this, they've exposed themsevles: as nothing more than crybabies who want to shut down whatever they dislike. They are no less controlling or demanding or intrusive than the governments they claim to hate. They're hypocrites, plain and simple.

But please - don't overestimate what Anonymous can do. A good number of them have been arrested already. Of course they say they are part of a vast, huge network of millions, but then again that's precisely what they want you to think. I would be very surprised if there were more than 100 core Anonymous members or hacktivists.

You'll see. 2, 3 years from now, they'll be gone.

not-sid

Mar 18, 2009
I've never really been into facebook so this won't really effect me. The thing is though this is what will probably destroy Anonymous once and for all.

thefrizzlefry

Feb 20, 2009
Oh, no! Anon.....
Jeez, I'm sorry about that, you guys. I guess my complete and utter apathy regarding Anonymous kind of took over my hands before I had the chance to finish my post, so I had to leave said post unfinished. Oh, well.