Anonymous Attacks North Korea

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
WanderingFool said:
Daverson said:
Anonymous! Setting in motion events that will lead to the death of millions of innocent South Koreans!

...would someone remind me why people support these guys?
You... do realise that North Korea has about 5 computers in the whole fucking country... I doubt many N. Korean citizens even know about this, than alone actually saw the message.
And all five of those computers are in the hands of a megalomaniac with nuclear weapons who would view this as an act of war! =p

Entitled

Aug 27, 2012
Zombie_Moogle said:
Oh no! North Korean is going to initiate a nuclear strike against the internet!
Either that, or against the USA and it's allies using "cyberterrorist attacks" originating from these countries, as a casus belli.

Bob_F_It

It stands for several things
May 7, 2008
Internet insult vs. Thermonuclear explosion...

I already had a low opinion of Anonymous, but now that they'll put innocent lives on the line for the sake of egotism, it somehow got lower.

cookyy2k

Aug 14, 2009
Entitled said:
Zombie_Moogle said:
Oh no! North Korean is going to initiate a nuclear strike against the internet!
Either that, or against the USA and it's allies using "cyberterrorist attacks" originating from these countries, as a casus belli.
I seriously doubt their delivery capability. And they are certainly incapable of thermonuclear attacks as they do not posses thermonuclear weapons (or at least they have never tested any, nor is their any evidence of one existing)

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
You know, I feel like N. Korea and Anonymous fit each other quite well. Both so delusional about their actual strength it's rather sad.

WouldYouKindly

Apr 17, 2011
Daverson said:
Anonymous! Setting in motion events that will lead to the death of millions of innocent South Koreans!

You think a couple of DDOS attacks would be the tipping point? That's a bit hyperbolic isn't it?

Lightknight said:
just war theory.
Do you really think the U.S. gives a single shit about that? We didn't have a problem preemptive striking the shit out of Iraq.

Also, I think there's a lot less controversy even if we attacked first. China is supposedly their ally and they've moved troops to the border, and I don't think they're going to be supporting North Korea. They are the most destabilizing influence in Asia and no one likes that. China particularly doesn't like the threats against the U.S. After all, we're essentially economically codependent.

Chessrook44

Legacy
Feb 11, 2009
Country
United States
The more people do this, or laugh at North Korea or make jokes about them... the more I wonder just how much they want to tempt fate.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
That had to be one of the most stupid messages Anon could have possibly written.

Why mention the United States government at all? It just makes it look like an attack FROM the United States. It will do nothing but give the North Koreans actual ammunition to use in their anti-American propaganda. "This is what the United States devils are like, they can barely communicate in their own language."

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The North Korean army has warned the U.S. that it has been given official clearance to launch a nuclear strike against it, saying that "the moment of explosion is approaching fast" and that war could break out "today or tomorrow."
MAYBE WE SHOULD PAY ATTENTION TO THIS.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
lacktheknack said:
Andy Chalk said:
The North Korean army has warned the U.S. that it has been given official clearance to launch a nuclear strike against it, saying that "the moment of explosion is approaching fast" and that war could break out "today or tomorrow."
North Korea doesn't have a missile that is able to strike anywhere near the US Mainland. And there are anti-missile batteries stationed in Guam, Japan and South Korea in case anything does happen.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
WouldYouKindly said:
Do you really think the U.S. gives a single shit about that? We didn't have a problem preemptive striking the shit out of Iraq.

Also, I think there's a lot less controversy even if we attacked first. China is supposedly their ally and they've moved troops to the border, and I don't think they're going to be supporting North Korea. They are the most destabilizing influence in Asia and no one likes that. China particularly doesn't like the threats against the U.S. After all, we're essentially economically codependent.
Iraq didn't have a big brother like China with a vested interest in not allowing a United Sates military presence so close to its borders. If the North was to launch a nuclear strike even China wouldn't be able to say "No, you can't attack North Korea because if you do we will declare war/trade embargo (not certain which would be worse)" because that would paint them as pro-nuclear strikes against America.

MrMan999

Oct 25, 2011
Abomination said:
WouldYouKindly said:

Iraq didn't have a big brother like China with a vested interest in not allowing a United Sates military presence so close to its borders. If the North was to launch a nuclear strike even China wouldn't be able to say "No, you can't attack North Korea because if you do we will declare war/trade embargo (not certain which would be worse)" because that would paint them as pro-nuclear strikes against America.
China has already stated that they won't help North Korea in any military conflict. China has too much invested in the Western world.

keideki

Sep 10, 2008
You all realize this is entirely pointless, right? At best the only thing this is gonna cause is more saber rattling. NK does not have the technology to hit with the crumby ICBMs they have, and their nuclear technology is not at the point where they could actually fit it into a warhead. Plus attacking would be suicidal, not even China (their only ally) would support them at that point, there is too much profit to be had in peace at the moment (for China at least). At the very most it will be a border skirmish like the many they have had with SK since the end of the Korean War. The only purpose is to focus the attention and fear of their oppressed people on so called 'external' threats so they don't get it in their heads that maybe now would be a good idea to overthrow the government or something radical like that. NK may be outrageous, they may like to make threats and they may even kill a few SK soldiers (hopefully not though) but attacking in force or with ICBMs or something like that would bring the wraith of the whole civilized world down on their heads. If they honestly attacked SK or Japan or one of the military bases on Guam it would not wind up like the Iraq war where only a handful of countries got bullied into joining our attack... it would be everyone against NK, even China. It would essentially mean the end of NK as we know it. They just want the attention, and they hope that maybe if they make enough noise the people will stay afraid and maybe some of the new harsher sanctions will be lifted.

lacktheknack

Je suis joined jewels.
Jan 19, 2009
MrMan999 said:
lacktheknack said:
Andy Chalk said:
North Korea doesn't have a missile that is able to strike anywhere near the US Mainland. And there are anti-missile batteries stationed in Guam, Japan and South Korea in case anything does happen.
Regardless, it's a much bigger story than "Anon Vandalized A Thing" when a country is literally on the brink of declaring war on the USA.

LordLundar

Apr 6, 2004
MrMan999 said:
Abomination said:
WouldYouKindly said:

China has already stated that they won't help North Korea in any military conflict. China has too much invested in the Western world.
Actually they said they wouldn't support N. Korea launching attacks. They still hold their stance on that they will help N. Korea should S. Korea or it's allies start hostilities again.

Right now N. Korea is poking the US and it's allies trying to get them to shoot first. It's not all that different to a school bully taunting a classmate so when they get punched by said classmate they can claim the victim.

Abomination

Dec 17, 2012
MrMan999 said:
Abomination said:
WouldYouKindly said:

The United States also isn't under a republican government. Korea might boast threats but the world is pretty certain they're entirely bark and no bite. The United States is trying to repair its reputation and running in to North Korea, guns blazing, and the collateral damage that would cause would destroy any effort it has made to repair that reputation.

As many reasons as the United States has to just want to shut North Korea down they haven't actually proven themselves to be a 'threat'.

debtcollector

Jan 31, 2012
Zombie_Moogle said:
Being an ultimately decentralized collective, I can't say I support everything Anon does, but if the group has a overall point, it's to stir the pot a bit; get people talking, like we are now, & they tend to succeed at that.
The only people talking about this are first-worlders like us. (Well, I am, and I assume that since you have an internet connection and use it to comment on gaming websites, you are too.) But the people Anonymous' brilliant message is targeting are, most likely, not even aware the message exists. Anonymous only tries to be as visible to the first world as possible to stroke its collective ego--this message means less than a grain of dust in a sandstorm to North Korea.
Also, I find it impressively egotistic (even for Anon's standards) that they liken their own problems with North Korea's.

Daverson

Nov 17, 2009
WouldYouKindly said:
Daverson said:

You think a couple of DDOS attacks would be the tipping point? That's a bit hyperbolic isn't it?
...at a time like this you're asking me if I would kindly think that a couple of DDOS attacks would be the tipping point? ...well... ok!

Srsly though, the North Korean Regime is completely neurotic, can you look me in the eye and tell me they won't view this as a personal attack on the great leader by evil imperialists?