Anonymous Attacks US Government

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
Verlander said:
dogstile said:
Verlander said:
My two cents. Cheers!
Your two cents fail to realise that anonymous is not just one group of people. Anonymous is everyone on the internet.

Which is why everyone thinks Anonymous is this weird, strange group of people who do everything for "teh lolz". There are multiple Anonymous groups all pushing for different things, but the news lumps them all together >.>
Yeah, but it isn't everyone on the internet is it? It's a minority on the internet. I mean, anyone COULD be anonymous, but chances are, they aren't.

The anonymous nature of, erm, anonymous, is it's biggest downfall, as well as its strongest asset. It's far too easy to imitate them, etc. Let me put it this way (as my two cents failed to impress you... not surprising, American cents aren't exactly worth much), I support the protest group that don masks in aid of the families of Scientologist "disconnect" programmes, I do not support the pointless spammers that want stuff for free. Pretty soon someone is going to get pissed off, and people who have appeared under an "anonymous" identity are gonna get fined, sued or jailed. Stay well away from it
But the way the government works is that they (typically) need actual proof before you can get fined, sued or jailed for something. Just because my hacker friend uses the same mask as me to steal stuff, doesn't mean i've stolen it. If you get my meaning.

strum4h

Jan 3, 2009
Talvrae said:
I had thought that Annonymous was an organisation against the church of Scientology since when does they attack things about copyrights?
They are not really an "organization" more like a disorganized group of anonymous people on 4chan. A quick google search could clear up a lot of questions about them.

Sporky111

Digital Wizard
Dec 17, 2008
"Anonymous will keep up the attacks until it stops being angry..."

That made me laugh, because it's completely true. They're not out for any grand justice, they're not out to change the world, they're just introducing a bit of chaos into the system. And why shouldn't they? We have a right to protest, and maybe acts like these will bring the public's displeasure to a spot where the politicians' blinders can't hide it.

endnuen

Sep 20, 2010
The thing is.. You can't really take down Anonymous. There is no body to target so to speak. No leadership, no organization. Only the idea and the hoard of anonymous who supports it.

Good luck to whom ever Anonymous chose to target.

Aptspire

Mar 13, 2008
Xzi said:
Well I don't particularly support what they're fighting for, but to their credit, at least Anonymous gets shit done. How many other protest groups can say the same?
true that :)
also, "When it stops being angry"? that might take a while :p

Arec Balrin

Feb 26, 2010
To answer a question put to me earlier: copyright infringement is not theft, it's copyright infringement. As I said, copyright infringes on already existing rights accepted in most developed western democracies and therefore at least used to have some pretty strong limitations on it. Aggressive lobbying by large media companies have salami-sliced these limitations almost into oblivion, such as the so-called 'Mickey Mouse clause' which means a copyright can be extended to almost a century after the original author's death.

The idea that copyright infringement is theft is a modern one; you will find little reference to it before the 1980s when record companies got together to declare that 'home-taping is killing music'. There's also that very successful and annoying advert that appeared on DVDs arguing the ABC fallacy: copyright infringement = theft = crime. Copyright infringement in most countries is a civil offence, not a criminal one but the intention of the advert is to make an equivalence that just isn't accurate.

Verlander; there is no place in the US constitution that guarantees or implies the right of copyrights. It does however explicitly in the very first clause place the restriction on government that no law shall be passed that abridges the right of a person to free expression. The constitution holds 'negative rights' like this to be primary and superior to 'positive rights' like copyrights. Copyright law only exists because its originators promised it was intended for and would lead to only one outcome; the one I described in line with the principles set in the first amendment. Their successors today are breaking those promises.

The issue of whether the first amendment is universal to all forms of expression is being argued in the supreme court right now as we all know. The court is probably going to rule against Schwarzenegger on the basis that if the first amendment doesn't apply to games, then anything it does apply to is meaningless. The same argument can be said for the sharing of anything in the public domain; if the first amendment doesn't apply, then there has to be a magnificently good case detailing it. This case was never made; it was avoided by the original advocates of copyrights who promised it would never be necessary to. But now it is and people have short memories.

Snor

Mar 17, 2009
endnuen said:
The thing is.. You can't really take down Anonymous. There is no body to target so to speak. No leadership, no organization. Only the idea and the hoard of anonymous who supports it.

Good luck to whom ever Anonymous chose to target.
you can, its like gardening. weeds don't have a leader or an organisation but if you destroy them and throw them out of your garden they don't come back or in the worst case the problem is reduced.

welcome to the escapist btw

Thespian

Sep 11, 2010
Sigh. Anonymous could do such cool stuff, but no. Protesting could be done in a much smarter way than just DDoSing a site for a while. If you ask me, they are too caught up with their flawed philosophy, dramatic statements, and getting their name out there. Pity.

Verlander

Apr 22, 2010
dogstile said:
Verlander said:
dogstile said:
Verlander said:
My two cents. Cheers!
Your two cents fail to realise that anonymous is not just one group of people. Anonymous is everyone on the internet.

Which is why everyone thinks Anonymous is this weird, strange group of people who do everything for "teh lolz". There are multiple Anonymous groups all pushing for different things, but the news lumps them all together >.>
Yeah, but it isn't everyone on the internet is it? It's a minority on the internet. I mean, anyone COULD be anonymous, but chances are, they aren't.

The anonymous nature of, erm, anonymous, is it's biggest downfall, as well as its strongest asset. It's far too easy to imitate them, etc. Let me put it this way (as my two cents failed to impress you... not surprising, American cents aren't exactly worth much), I support the protest group that don masks in aid of the families of Scientologist "disconnect" programmes, I do not support the pointless spammers that want stuff for free. Pretty soon someone is going to get pissed off, and people who have appeared under an "anonymous" identity are gonna get fined, sued or jailed. Stay well away from it
But the way the government works is that they (typically) need actual proof before you can get fined, sued or jailed for something. Just because my hacker friend uses the same mask as me to steal stuff, doesn't mean i've stolen it. If you get my meaning.
Yeah, true dat. They're gonna find out a way to identify them though... everytime I think something is impossible, someone seems to work extra hard to make it possible. And if anonymous are going to start picking on government targets... well that's just the wrong person to fuck off IMO

samsonguy920

Mar 24, 2009
Jesus Phish said:
Xzi said:
Well I don't particularly support what they're fighting for, but to their credit, at least Anonymous gets shit done. How many other protest groups can say the same?
Do they though? What has changed as a direct result of the site being down for 30 minutes?
Exactly. Other than annoying the piss out of the RIAA, Gene Simmons and the Copyright Office they really haven't done much damage short of that now the work to get the Copyright Office back up cost taxpayer dollars. Anonymous is really showing their true colors of not really showing much spine in their argument and now they are wanting to attack the US Government?
They just lost my respect.

persopolis

Oct 30, 2009
Icarion said:
Straying Bullet said:
Wow. They actually walk their talk? Respect.
This ^^. If you can say your goals and then follow through on them, I have respect for you. I don't like you or agree with you but I respect you
so you respect the nazi's?
see? that train of tought can be somewhat ambiguous./nitpicking
OT: we'll see how far they get, we'll see...
until then i'll just visit the RIAA's website and give them my angry face

Seydaman

Nov 21, 2008
Xzi said:
Seriously
I quite laughed at this, giant corporations taken down by a bunch of guys on the internet, now that's pro.