Anonymous Halts Sony Attacks Affecting PSN Users

Imat

Feb 21, 2009
Sony could take advantage of this in a rather extreme way: Shut down PSN, remove all accounts, destroy every gamer subscribed to it. Blame it on Anonymous. Say Anonymous hacked their system and, accidentally or otherwise, erased everything.

And when gamers start getting annoyed that something which shouldn't have any bearing on their lives has cost them time and money, get the whole thing back in gear from backups. Sony becomes the hero of the story, Anonymous loses whatever credibility it may have garnered among the gamer folk.

Honestly, who would suspect Sony of this? They'd risk losing everything, so why would they possibly do it. And that, fellow Escapists, is how Sony finally killed off Anonymous. Gg all.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
The shortsightedness of Anonymous is rather hilarious. Maybe now I can actually log on to PSN.

Frostbite3789

Jul 12, 2010
endnuen said:
Then read a book.
No it didn't affect me, since I was probably studying during the downtime. But seriously, not being able to accept an apology is just small. Seriously, are you going to die any time soon? I'm sure you will get plenty of play time before that happens.
Christ some people have small shoes..
Seeing as how I never found the attacks justified in the first place, it's just asinine. I wasn't planning on complaining about it, it wasn't a big deal until people decided "Hey, it was sooo nice of them to apologize." Not really when they shouldn't have been doing it in the first place.

It's like firing a gun into a crowd, trying to hit one guy, then apologizing later for giving everyone in the crowd a flesh wound. You shouldn't have been doing that in the first place.

Before you say that's an extreme example, it's a metaphor.

Echo136

Feb 22, 2010
endnuen said:
Frostbite3789 said:
endnuen said:
I think it's nice that they acknowledge that they made an error in their offensive strategy and apologizes to the users affected.
No it's not? What they're doing is stupid anyways, it can only make things worse and is someone who as affected and couldn't get on yesterday before work, when I had time, I was kinda pissed. Some crap press release doesn't get me the free time I find after class and before work back.

That's easy to say since it didn't directly affect you.
Then read a book.
No it didn't affect me, since I was probably studying during the downtime. But seriously, not being able to accept an apology is just small. Seriously, are you going to die any time soon? I'm sure you will get plenty of play time before that happens.
Christ some people have small shoes..
Screw their apology. They have no business doing what they are doing in the first place and apologizing just shows how shortsited they are.

Ubermetalhed

Sep 15, 2009
If people ignore anonymous they'll go away. Why does the Escapist keep giving them free publicity?

They are attention seeking basement dwellers. They are not news worthy.

ArmorArmadillo

Mar 31, 2010
Xhu said:
ArmorArmadillo said:
Can anyone name bigtime execs who have ever been brought down because of Anon? Or is it just "Woot, we randomly inconvenienced part of the company for a while we're the heroes" and internet pundits gleefully adore them.
Aaron Barr.

If that was a genuine question, you will look up him, his company, what they were doing and what played out when Anonymous got involved.
It was, I did, and I thank you for informing me on this issue.

Still, it seems like the group orchestrating this well put together attack on a truly corrupt target and the group taking disorganized jabs at Sony aren't even remotely connected.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Selvec said:
Bets Sony keeps PSN down to make it look like Anno is going against their word?
...Right.

"Let's cut off a large chunk of our revenue in order to make a bunch of 15-year old hackers look bad." A devious plan indeed.

Xhu

Nov 15, 2009
ArmorArmadillo said:
It was, I did, and I thank you for informing me on this issue.

Still, it seems like the group orchestrating this well put together attack on a truly corrupt target and the group taking disorganized jabs at Sony aren't even remotely connected.
Agreed. I'm seeing nothing logical in this. Normally, Anonymous does this sort of thing in an attempt to raise awareness, but they seem to have skipped that portion here. Everybody thinks this is about George Hotz and the Linux-on-PS3 hacking. Though that is a large part, it turns out it is also in response to things such as Sony demanding Youtube [among others] give them the IP addresses of people viewing Geohot's social profiles, as well as his videos. Paypal already gave them access to his account, and a judge has granted Sony the ability to view the IP addresses of people who have visited geohot.com. Oh, and the unrelated Sony BMG rootkit debacle a few years ago.

But no. Since PS3 gamers are involved, it's all about George Hotz enabling freedom/cheating on PSN.

Lucane

Mar 24, 2008
V8 Ninja said:
You know what's ironic? I got a 404 error when I tried to view the news post outside of the forums.

OT: Well...that sucks for PSN users. Thankfully it seems that both companies/groups didn't plan this out. Hopefully PSN users aren't too screwed by this.
It was only bad between the 24-48 hours I was getting a Login error the day before for a few minutes but last night was unattainable altogether after 11pm EST.

Seems odd they would miss the part that attacking their servers would possibly interrupt the services including PSN online access/connections.

-Samurai-

Oct 8, 2009
"Hey, guys. We're sorry that we're all idiots and don't know what we're doing. We just like to show you guys how awesome we are by fighting something we don't fully understand. Again, we're sorry."

Trust me, we're all sorry, too. Really, really sorry.

[small]This is the part where another "press release" comes out about how that wasn't really Anonymous, but a group of people claiming to be them, and they've now been dealt with.[/small]

Dogstile

Jan 17, 2009
mad825 said:
We realize that targeting the PSN is not a good idea.
so they attacked it anyway? Oh dear, I'm starting to think that all these anonymous people are no more wiser than who they attack.
Anon is anyone from a genius 30 year old to an idiotic 12 year old. Random people, random antics, random chances of success

bomblord

Mar 16, 2011
Are you serious that they didn't realize that shutting down PSN wouldn't affect consumers in anyway

They either are to stupid to know what the heck they're doing or did realize it and only started caring when they realized everyone finally came to their senses and started hating them

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
So in short they don't even have the balls to actually go through with their attack because they realized it makes people dislike them?

Bloody spineless vermin

geizr

Oct 9, 2008
bomblord said:
Are you serious that they didn't realize that shutting down PSN wouldn't affect consumers in anyway

They either are to stupid to know what the heck they're doing or did realize it and only started caring when they realized everyone finally came to their senses and started hating them
My money is on it being the later.

Someone really fighting for what they feel is right and believe to be true and has real conviction in their ideals doesn't stop just cause a few stones get lobbed in their direction, and such persons don't hide; they put themselves right out in front, on the battle-lines, in harm's way, where everyone can see them. They risk all for what they believe in. Anon is nowhere close to such a noble stance, and that's why I have no respect for them. They're just whimsical.

Twilight_guy

Sight, Sound, and Mind
Nov 24, 2008
Anonymous showing regret? DOES NOT COMPUTE!!! FATAL ERROR!!!

Interesting, We'll have to see if the news-story actually holds.

duchaked

Dec 25, 2008
dunnace said:
What is the difference between a police officer and a Vigilante?

The police officer is told who is innocent. The vigilante decides.

What's the difference between Anonymous and a vigilante?

Batman is considerably more awesome.
Batman is awesome...because he's Batman

circular reasoning be damned! (because he's Batman)

Ickorus

Mar 9, 2009
I wonder if they get that the only way they're noticably going to affect Sony is by targeting it's consumers, anything else i'd imagine Sony could probably shrug off.

Also considering most of Sony's top dogs are based in Japan i'd say attacking them at this time is in extreme bad taste.

Way I see it Anon is being stupid as hell, why shouldn't Sony be allowed to protect their own interests? Allowing people to hack their systems will only lose Sony money so why the hell shouldn't they be allowed to launch a lawsuit against the guy who did it? If you want freedom get a fucking PC, simple.

Jabberwock xeno

Oct 30, 2009
Again:

Jabberwock xeno said:
"While Anonymous hasn't been specific about what it plans to attack, it said that its actions would be symbolic. The release said that Sony was treating its customers as if they were just renting their consoles, and so Anonymous would do the same with Sony's web domains. This action, the release read, was to show Sony exactly how wrong their actions against the hackers were."

Seems like they actually want to do this the right way...
Unless you are not getting the full story, anon is clearly in the right here.

Now if only we could spread that part of their quote that I responded to to "norma" news sites that are fear mongering.