Another Incident in Portland

Revnak

We must imagine Sisyphus horny
Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Hey, I'm like an hour out from Chicago, Revy. Plenty safe.

The corn will protect me.
The homicide rate in Portland is below average for the country and you live in the Midwest! Rate’s going up everywhere due to the recession anyway! Portland’s great, actually. Then again over the course of my life I’ve spent much more time in the parts of Oregon with much higher homicide rates than Portland, so I may just be happy to live outside of the depressing parts of Oregon.

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
I have moderately more confidence in 4chan's investigative abilities than a not insignificant portion of the modern MSM.
I could say that some people investigate more thoroughly on 4chan.

But the vast majority just make shit up.

So, I'd say sorta on your comment with a very big asterisk.

Like, I'm no longer on any board looking for any form of truth. That's not 4chans purpose or the way it's being used. Truth and 4chan generally don't go together. BUT there are some people who are fantastic

Reactions: Buyetyen

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
From what I have seen thus far, it looks like this guy maced people and someone shot him. ALSO the violence escalated earlier this time due to far right Trump supporters illegally shooting people with Paintball guns and other projectiles out of the back of pickup trucks. That is considered assault and battery with a dangerous weapon btw and they should be found and arrested.
Random people do bad thing.
Attack Random person who is vaguely associated with them.

That really doesn't sound like a great defence there: "Your honour some people who we just assume he knows did something bad to us earlier in the night so this was self defence to attack him"

I await more info before I'll judge this it could well have been self defence.

What I will comment on is the rather awful look of the videos of people celebrating the persons death because he has different politics.

Not saying "It was self defence" but actively celebrating an opponent being killed and seeing it as a good thing. If we see them holding the shooter up as some great hero then we know things are likely to get worse.

As with every killing in these recent times this is a damned shame. Nobody should have died and there are most certainly nobody at these protests deserving of death.

I believe that the perpetrator in this case should be arrested and persecuted to the full extent of the law, not only because it is what the law demands, but also because it is reasonable and in line with the purpose of the protests, creating a system in which there is equality and people are not just judged guilty or innocent based on skin colour or party affiliation.
I'm hearing (Dunno how true) the suspect was previously picked up in connection to prior rioting in Portland but ha charges against him dropped with no explanation.

4chan was also saying the victim was black for a while so calm the fuck down.
In fairness so were AntiFA supporting twitter accounts.

If we gave the leeway to the MSM that you just gave to 4chan, they could never be called Fake News
I mean 4chan have been outright wrong less times than an MSM sites has blamed Same Hyde for a Mass shooting so far.

lil devils x

🐐More Lego Goats Please!🐐
Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
Random people do bad thing.
Attack Random person who is vaguely associated with them.

That really doesn't sound like a great defence there: "Your honour some people who we just assume he knows did something bad to us earlier in the night so this was self defence to attack him"

I await more info before I'll judge this it could well have been self defence.

What I will comment on is the rather awful look of the videos of people celebrating the persons death because he has different politics.

Not saying "It was self defence" but actively celebrating an opponent being killed and seeing it as a good thing. If we see them holding the shooter up as some great hero then we know things are likely to get worse.

I'm hearing (Dunno how true) the suspect was previously picked up in connection to prior rioting in Portland but ha charges against him dropped with no explanation.

In fairness so were AntiFA supporting twitter accounts.

I mean 4chan have been outright wrong less times than an MSM sites has blamed Same Hyde for a Mass shooting so far.
Who is celebrating this guys death on the escapist ? I haven't seen anyone in here doing so. I just stated the events that occurred that day, and I don't think they are even related to one another. The guy using bear mace on people still didn't need to die here. They shouldn't have had guns down there to begin with.

The people shooting paintball guns and other projectiles from trucks was a separate issue of violence that had occurred that day and they need to really find those responsible as well and arrest them.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
Who is celebrating this guys death on the escapist ? I haven't seen anyone in here doing so. I just stated the events that occurred that day, and I don't think they are even related to one another. The guy using bear mace on people still didn't need to die here. They shouldn't have had guns down there to begin with.

The people shooting paintball guns and other projectiles from trucks was a separate issue of violence that had occurred that day and they need to really find those responsible as well and arrest them.
There’s a few vids but that’s largely crowd mentality after the fact. I don’t take it overly seriously compared to, I dunno, the fucking forty pages we spent arguing about whether murder’s cool and how national media isn’t much above that garbage argument itself. And if you wanna clear example of where the Alt-Right’s already at...
6674C743-DFA5-4367-9FE0-10E707833316.jpeg
that was an organizer of the event a week ago, Saturday was much more heavily armed. There’s probably been a number of legitimate scenarios where shooting a RW guy would’ve easily counted as self defense with all the weapon brandishing, but luckily none of them have shot someone yet.

Buyetyen

Elite Member
May 11, 2020
Country
USA
I have moderately more confidence in 4chan's investigative abilities than a not insignificant portion of the modern MSM.
It's fortunate then that there are other places to get information from than cable news and troll boards.

tippy2k2

Beloved Tyrant
Legacy
Mar 15, 2008
@Revnak

I don't know what kind of thoughts or insight into this you may have (it's relatively long too FYI), just curious how accurate you think this assessment is as another local.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020

No-one on the Escapist was but there are videos out there of people cheering about his death.

It's scene like this that suggest a far larger problem brewing

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
If we gave the leeway to the MSM that you just gave to 4chan, they could never be called Fake News
Yeah see, I find that label honestly trite and idiotic. To me MSM is more like bought news or biased news. Fake implies they're merely making stuff up when most of the time they're just interpreting things in a way off-kilter way to mislead or control people.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
@Revnak

I don't know what kind of thoughts or insight into this you may have (it's relatively long too FYI), just curious how accurate you think this assessment is as another local.
It’s an excellent take though I do feel it’s important to mention the incidents of violence by PP and those connected to it more directly. Cider Riot attack, MAX stabbing, and the Proud Boys randomly assaulting people in broad daylight and getting tipped off by the cops before any investigations occur. PP gets to directly communicate and organize with police despite everything on their record. It kinda sucks.

Agema

You have no authority here, Jackie Weaver
Legacy
Mar 3, 2009
Yeah see, I find that label honestly trite and idiotic. To me MSM is more like bought news or biased news. Fake implies they're merely making stuff up when most of the time they're just interpreting things in a way off-kilter way to mislead or control people.
And yet it's funny how many people who say that of the MSM seem happy to take their news from sources that are objectively worse.

Dreiko

Elite Member
Legacy
May 1, 2020
CT
Country
usa
male, pronouns: your majesty/my lord/daddy
And yet it's funny how many people who say that of the MSM seem happy to take their news from sources that are objectively worse.
The people who say that are just saying it because Trump says it and weren't saying it before. It's more like a sign of belonging to a group than an earnestly held belief like the one I was expressing.

This is the same thing as when you watch a video and then in the comments people are using the same exact language to express the same idea instead of putting it in their own words and making it fit their individual view some.

Some people are just super easy to influence and some are super impressionable so they will just spout other's words as thought they're their own with no self-awareness.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
No-one on the Escapist was but there are videos out there of people cheering about his death.

It's scene like this that suggest a far larger problem brewing

If you think it is this small group of people making asshats of themselves is the far larger problem brewing, you would have had to ignore the entire past decade because the right wing terror attacks have been extreme.
THIS IS the far larger problem brewing:

ALL of US intelligence agencies have been telling us this is the far larger problem brewing. The FBI warned us that right wing terrorists have infiltrated the US military, judicial system, police and all levels of government and have formed terror cell militias throughout the country and yet somehow a small group of people chanting about a dead Trump supporter who bear maced people is the worrying problem..
Of course that is s shitty thing to do, but perspective is needed here.

Dwarvenhobble

Is on the Gin
May 26, 2020
If you think it is this small group of people making asshats of themselves is the far larger problem brewing, you would have had to ignore the entire past decade because the right wing terror attacks have been extreme.
THIS IS the far larger problem brewing:

ALL of US intelligence agencies have been telling us this is the far larger problem brewing. The FBI warned us that right wing terrorists have infiltrated the US military, judicial system, police and all levels of government and have formed terror cell militias throughout the country and yet somehow a small group of people chanting about a dead Trump supporter who bear maced people is the worrying problem..
Of course that is s shitty thing to do, but perspective is needed here.
They're more dangerous because they're often lone gunman attacks and that's only so far because in 2020 we're at what 31 people killed by the rioters so far so we might be about to see that number flip the other way as things keep going.

Revnak

Legacy
May 25, 2020
Country
USA
They're more dangerous because they're often lone gunman attacks and that's only so far because in 2020 we're at what 31 people killed by the rioters so far so we might be about to see that number flip the other way as things keep going.
Source on that number?

Trunkage

Nascent Orca
Legacy
Jun 21, 2012
Brisbane
So... you're placing all the illegal stuff outside of the protest in the same category as the protesters?

Iron

BOI
Sep 6, 2013
Country
Occupied Palestine
Trigger discipline was always explained to me as the practice of keeping one’s finger away from the trigger of your weapon when it is kept at a ready position - i.e. a soldier’s battle rifle held across their chest when standing a post at a forward operating base for example.

What you’re talking about sounds more like the rules of engagement: the doctrine of threat response and appropriate escalation in the field. they’re highly detailed and drilled into a solider/sailor/airmen’s head at every available opportunity.

Something which you accurately describe all these moronic cosplayers as completely lacking.
I must have mixed the two of them up! I'm not sure if I can only chalk it up to RoE. RoE change according to the situation and are handed down to you by officers. I don't know how you'd view this as an independent armed person in civilian life. This is why I am not sure whether it's more accurate to use TD or RoE.

lil devils x

Legacy
May 1, 2020
Country
🐐USA🐐
According to US intelligence, it is right wing extremists that are killing far more people and are far more dangerous THAN ANY OTHER GROUP. Are you trying to tell me that you have information they don't?