Another PS3

The_Echo

Mar 18, 2009
Sounds like you have some wicked bad luck.

I've had my PS3 since '06 or '07, and haven't had a single problem with it.

Macrobstar

Apr 28, 2010
olikunmissile said:
OK. My PS3 has just died, again. This is now my 5th PS3 to die.

I've had 4 60GB models, and 1 80GB model (recently deceased).

In order I've had, Yellow light, Graphical card error, Yellow light, Yellow light and now my PS3 turns itself off after 10 mins of use and the light flashes red.

I've gotta ask, what the fuck is going on? They don't see much use, are in a well ventilated area and get cleaned regularly.

Now, When my original 60GB died, I paid £128 for a refurbished 60GB. All of the changes have been free since then but this is becoming a chore.

Anyone else got Xbox Syndrome with their PS3s?
You must be incredibly unlucky, I haven't had a single error with mine and the failure rate of the ps3 is quite low compared to othere consoles, but theres no way its a coincidence maybe its the area you put them in, I haven't cleaned mine at all for 3 years and it works fine so maybe try not cleaning it or being more careful when you clean it

Yopaz

Sarcastic overlord
Jun 3, 2009
EcHoFiiVe said:
You are the unluckiest person I've ever heard of. I think the PS3 has like a ≥1% failure rate.
Different sources say differnt things here, so it's not safe to say that's the truth, one source say that the 40GB version has (or had) a 40% failure rate. Still you're right, he is unlucky to have a PS3 fail more than once, and 5 times is incredible. It would be incredible if 5 xboxes was destroyed.

Sources:
[Link]http://www.computerandvideogames.com/175283/news/sony-blasts-40-ps3-failure-rate-talk/[/Link]
[Link]http://www.gamespot.com/news/6216691.html[/Link]
http://www.ripten.com/2007/07/03/failure-rate-xbox-360-high-as-33-sony-ps3-less-than-1/

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
had mine since launch, (the 600 dollars ones) played it everyday, seen a LOT of bd movies, NEVER cleansed it, still works perfectly to this day, on the Xbox side i have two of them a launch one, and a elite one (also the very first elites) both work perfectly to this day, you want to know something funny the ONLY console EVER to have broke on me is a WII!!! my first wii (launch one also) got the video card defect that put a lot of distorted crap on screen still "playable" but got it replaced trough warranty (it was a problem whit the wifi receiver inside the console overheating the video ram or something they explained me in customer service before sending me a new one, and telling me NOT to let the wiiconnect24 connected 24/7)

If i where you i get a professional electrician to check the power outlets on your room and the state of the current in your house in general, you may have a problem whit "bad" power (brown power i believe is called in the states) in the meantime go buy a GOOD quality UPS whit filter and regulation and plug the PS3 in there

Palademon

Mar 20, 2010
My friend's PS3 broke. They couldn't remove their hardrive.

I however am on my original 360 Elite, that I've had for two years. After it broke ONCE after a year, it took a few weeks to repair, for free. And at least with that I can remove my harddrive. Hehe, xbox syndrome my ass.

Blazing Steel

Sep 22, 2008
My release model worked for 4 years of heavy gaming and I just bought the 320gb slim. Haven't had a problem with either of them.

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
Palademon said:
My friend's PS3 broke. They couldn't remove their hardrive.

I however am on my original 360 Elite, that I've had for two years. After it broke ONCE after a year, it took a few weeks to repair, for free. And at least with that I can remove my harddrive. Hehe, xbox syndrome my ass.
I call BS, the PS3 hardrive is very easy to take off (only four tiny screws in a sliding tray) you can ALWAYS remove it easy and put it in your new sistem, backup the entire data to a portable HDD, and then replace it again to use the new hardrive that you got whit the new sistem and restore all your data to there (newer sistems have bigger hardrives) all your online game data is stored in your profile in the PSN network servers so its safe even if your PS3 is struck by lighting

stabnex

Jun 30, 2009
Simple, Sony doesn't want backwards compatible systems on the market so their "firmware updates" all slaughter the hardware so you have to buy a non-ps2-compatible one.

enriquetnt

Mar 20, 2010
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hope I don't get issues. Some of my datas can't be backed up via Copy. Like my 60 hour Dragon Age 1 data.

It sucks, though.

I went through 3 Xboxes and I'm on my 4th. It's seems to be going well, finally.
All single player game data can be copied to a portable HDD or even a pendrive, and all the online progress data is stored in the PSN servers so it should be safe there, i dont have dragon age but how is that you cannot copy the data?

thelonewolf266

Nov 18, 2010
Your problem is your cleaning it seriously don't do that shit the dust forms an impenetrable layer of protection.

Wolfenbarg

Terrible Person
Oct 18, 2010
Suilenroc said:
Wolfenbarg said:
This is why Paul has three PS3s.

You'd never be out a PS3 if you had three PS3s.
I like how Gram and Paul have since traded facial hair options.
Paul losing his beard was a fault of Desert Bus 2008. His beard has never recovered.

Onyx Oblivion

Borderlands Addict. Again.
Sep 9, 2008
enriquetnt said:
Onyx Oblivion said:
I hope I don't get issues. Some of my datas can't be backed up via Copy. Like my 60 hour Dragon Age 1 data.

It sucks, though.

I went through 3 Xboxes and I'm on my 4th. It's seems to be going well, finally.
All single player game data can be copied to a portable HDD or even a pendrive, and all the online progress data is stored in the PSN servers so it should be safe there, i dont have dragon age but how is that you cannot copy the data?
Some datas say "Copying Prohibited".

Nmil-ek

Dec 16, 2008
How are you cleaning them exactly? If your just running a cloth or a can of compressed air into the vents you should have no problems, if your hoovering it though all you'll be doing is shooting static into the thing.

Never had my launch model break but hardly use the damned thing will probably sell it off, sticking to the PC and old consoles myself modern console gaming no longer seems worth the hastle with all the technical faults/protection crap I get enough of that from my PC.