Anti-Game Critic Says "This Generation Will Give You Massacres"

Jamash

Top Todger
Jun 25, 2008
Andy Chalk said:
The name Dave Grossman may not be as instantly recognizable as, say, Jack Thompson or Michael Atkinson, but for those who follow this sort of thing the retired Lieutenant Colonel is a well-known figure...
I knew the name Dave Grossman sounded famiiler, but I coundn't quite place it.

Then I remembered, Dave Grossman is the spineless drugged-up wannabe biker lawyer character from Grand Theft Auto 4: The Lost and Damned (who appears the cutscene for the mission entitled It's War).

http://gta.wikia.com/Dave_Grossman

Dave Grossman said:
"There is a generation of vicious, vicious killers out there," he said. "The videogames are their trainers. They've been playing Grand Theft Auto every spare moment since they were six years old."
The amusing thing is that these vicious killers that have been playing Grand Theft Auto since they were six will already think Dave Grossman is a massive tool, even if they've never heard of the other Dave Grossman.

Considering the subject matter and Grand Theft Auto being the go-to scapegoat game for videogame violence, this is quite an unfortunate yet amusing coincidence.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
deathbydeath said:
TheDoctor455 said:
Don't care if you're joking or not. Not funny.

And not okay to say.

Genocide, or even proposed genocide is not to be taken lightly.
Actually, it was satire. I was poking holes in his views by taking them a step further to their logical conclusion, which is irrational. Any humor to be gained from that was from you and you alone. See Jonathan Swift's "A Modest Proposal" for something similar.
I am well aware of Swift's 'Modest Proposal', and the difference here is that he spent a great deal of time working on that, while you only spent a few minutes at most.

And even then, some people took the suggestion seriously.

ChaplainOrion

Nov 7, 2011
I actually did a term paper on violence and mass media this year and had some notes on him.

The killology isn't insane or crazy, it came from a book that he wrote about what techniques the US army has been using to train people to kill. It's now a required reading for Marine officers.

He's still wrong on video games, he obviously isn't in touch with anyone who plays video games and doesn't realize that shooting targets in a game is not the same as shooting targets in real life, while also being indoctrinated to kill.

Atmos Duality

Mar 3, 2010
Grossman said:
"There is a generation of vicious, vicious killers out there," he said. "The videogames are their trainers. They've been playing Grand Theft Auto every spare moment since they were six years old."
And right there, you have given me all the reason to never listen to you again.
I could go over how economic disparity social pressure and a world that bombards us with bullshit daily might cause the rare mind to go *POP*, (plus good ol fashioned crazy) but you just claimed that an entire generation of gamers sits and plays Grand Theft Auto every moment they can spare.

Fuck, you weren't worth the time it took to mock your pretentious horse shit.

AJey

Feb 11, 2011
People dont really believe him do they now? In the age of pandering and trash literature, this somewhat sad fellow simply found a niche to fill with his unjustified conjectures, baseless accusations and unfounded claims. It's his way of making money off of the foolish and ignorant.Let him talk; this way we know who the idiots are!

templar1138a

Dec 1, 2010
*sigh* Unlike Thompson or Atkinson, this douche bag looks to only be in his mid-forties at most. It's going to be a while before he dies off and we won't have to listen to his drivel anymore.

Best thing we can do is ignore him. He sounds about as deranged as the gun-toters. Maybe we'll get lucky and he'll have a severely debilitating stroke when someone directly tells him, "That is simply not true."

Stryc9

Elite Member
Nov 12, 2008
deathbydeath said:
"We must prepare for violence like firefighters prepare for fires..."

Wait, is he suggesting that when someone gets shot in a school, a bell rings and all the students shuffle out in an organized manner?
Yes, and then the police, armed with machine guns mow them down as they walk out the exits so we make sure that we get the killer. There are no innocents in the videogame age, every kid who has ever picked up a controller is a serial killer waiting to happen.

This guy is fucking nuts and should be ignored.

Slash2x

Dec 7, 2009
DVS BSTrD said:
As opposed to people like you who make their CAREERS out of being vicious killers.
Bullshit. Guy was a Lt. Colonel. He did not do any damn work he sent the enlisted to go do the real killing. He just told other people to go do work and get killed.

OT:
Officers almost always think that they know everything about everything and that everyone should just do what they demand. Even if they are COMPLETELY disconnected from the topic... So it makes sense he is trying to order people around still.

Sutter Cane

Jun 27, 2010
RaNDM G said:
[small]On a side note, I'm starting a protest rock band called Killology. Anyone care to join?[/small]
I support a form of this idea, but Killology makes is a much better album name than it is a band name

Namechangeday

Aug 13, 2012
Do you know the type of people I hate more than people who think videogames kill people? People who talk like violent videogames are the only types of videogames. It is almost as if all games are specifically rated M.

Now, I suggest that we ban life. Nowadays, it seems like the only logical solution.

Fappy

\[T]/
Jan 4, 2010
Country
United States
This guy does realize crime rates have been declining in the US... right?

FogHornG36

Jan 29, 2011
They say stuff like this, even though study's say otherwise and the fact is, gun crime is the lowest it has ever been.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
anonymity88 said:
When I read comments like this and realise that these people are actually well respected and treated with deference by some people I get very scared.
I think you might be confusing "deference" with "academic credentials". Just because he is a professor in psychology, doesn't mean any serious psychologist will respect him. As a matter of fact, Grossman is probably more useful to the field of psychology as a subject, rather than as a researcher.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
devotedsniper said:
Oh look another one blaming games, yet films and books get no such blame or better yet how about we focus on the real problems?
Indeed, why is it no-one blames news sources like Fox News and The Daily Mail, when they quite literally exist to increase hatred and misunderstanding amongst citizens?

I.Muir

Jun 26, 2008
It seems to me that his university education didn't have much of an impact on him if he still tries standing by statements that there is simply no evidence of, I suppose soft sciences can be like that.

Farther than stars

Jun 19, 2011
Sutter Cane said:
RaNDM G said:
[small]On a side note, I'm starting a protest rock band called Killology. Anyone care to join?[/small]
I support a form of this idea, but Killology makes is a much better album name than it is a band name
I have to say, neither of you are right. Killology is a stupid word in any situation, because it's too hard to pronounce a short word of 4 syllables in which 3 of those syllables have an 'l' sound - phonetically speaking it's a crime against language. And that's why it has even less chance as an album name, because it would have to go through rigorous market testing first. However, should you ditch one of the syllables and just make it "Killogy", well... then that's workable.

Not Lord Atkin

I'm dead inside.
Oct 25, 2008
Please Andy, do not give these kinds of people the undeserved recognition. Making people know of his existence is just going to make it worse. Let's just ignore the fuck out of the extremists and agitators like himself.