Anti-Game Critic Says "This Generation Will Give You Massacres"

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
So what data is in direct contradiction of his assertions?

I know I know. Correlations don't prove anything, but the burden of proof is on the accuser. The man blindly speaks nonsense.

DarkhoIlow

Dec 31, 2009
What is this guy talking about, I don't even? ...yeah, there are still people out there who think that violent video games turn gamers into killers which baffles my mind. There might be a few exceptions here and there, but the percentage (if there is one), is minimal.

Since playing video games has become so mainstream it tends to happen sometimes that someone will get their parents gun or go buy one and go on a killing spree.

I've killed billions of people in game during my 21 years of video gaming, but never once I thought how would that feel to do it in real life. Too much of a hassle aiming when I can do it easily and more precise with my mouse instead.

Quantum Glass

Mar 19, 2013
"The video games are their trainers."

Problem: Video games are apparently teaching gamers how to murder, somehow.

Problem: Modern realistic shooters are trite and boring.

...Anyone else think we can solve both these problems at once?

OneOfTheMichael's

Jul 26, 2010
Well I feel like killing myself after reading that, if that is actually what he thinks that society is going to turn into.
God it seems like 66% of Americas population is stuck in the past, because all the media shows to everyone else is these types of people. Really hope that the general population who actually are educated about this get a say in the government policies.

ACM_Shadow

Aug 6, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
"There is a generation of vicious, vicious killers out there," he said. "The videogames are their trainers. They've been playing Grand Theft Auto every spare moment since they were six years old."
So do you blame the animal for hurting someone, or the idiot that kept poking it. if people were responsible about the age classifications and what their kids play then this issue is moot.

Although props to him for actually mentioning that the media has also contributed to this.
But how on earth can he claim this, when his view about pulling out of Afghanistan is to track down and kill them.... hey why don't we send these vicious killers after them, that should get rid of their murder at the drop of the hat tendencies.

I am beginning to wonder if he retired from the army of his own volition considering his statements and coining the term "killology".

OtherSideofSky

Jan 4, 2010
Well, for starters, there is no 'dramatic uptick in real-world violence.' Generally, when your theory explains a phenomenon that does not exist, that is a problem with your theory.

Beyond that, the statement that 'this generation will give you massacres' can be made with relative confidence of any generation, because it has been, and continues to be, true of all known generations. Logically, it is roughly as controversial, alarming, and expressive a statement as 'water is wet.' You cannot explain countless generations of consistent massacres with a technology that has only existed for the past several decades.

Drizzitdude

Nov 12, 2009
erttheking said:
Dear Mr. Grossman

I kill fake people. You kill real people. Yet I'm the murderer?

Go fuck yourself

That is all

Sincerely, someone with a working brain.
This, humanity is dumb.

thiosk

Sep 18, 2008
As opposed to the massacres provided continuously by other generations.

Everyone knows that postal workers only went postal after exposure to jazz music.

AbsoluteVirtue18

Jan 14, 2009
Well, at least some good will come of this.

...All this negative bullcrap about GTA turning people into killers is sure to drum up even more interest in GTA 5!

SinisterGehe

May 19, 2009
So what? Arm every teacher, put a security guard front of every door, metal detectors, hounds, barbwire... Hell lets just turn schools in to maximum security prisons.

Also I been playing violent games for my life. I still don't know how to use gun, I got rejected from army (where they teach you to use guns) because or physical handicap and I am pacifist. Yeah - they clearly have corrupted me.

+ Is he trying to say that there are not people with mental issues in every generation? Just in this... And I am quite sure that religious fundamentalism has killed more people in America than Violent games.

Also:
"I protest against violence in my own country; But my own country can go around killing other people just in case they might threaten me"

Also... Whats up with books? It seems like every idiot with an agenda pumps two or three of them. Fact you "can" write a book doesn't mean you "can" write a book.

I hope this man gets badly hurt in gun crossfire by police and some maniac and gets badly handicapped because of it. Just so he could suffer because of the violence he supports.

JagermanXcell

Oct 1, 2012
Eh, i'll give this guy some props for not just blaming video games but ALL violent media...

but that doesn't make him right, SORRY MR Lt. SIR BUT VIOLENCE HAS DROPPED IN THE LAST SEVERAL YEARS AND THESE MASSACRES ARE CAUSED NOT BY MEDIA BUT BY COMMON DAY SOCIAL ISSUES THAT NO ONE IS WILLING TO SOLVE SIR!

Also six year olds playing violent games?
1) They're M rated games, if what your saying is true, clearly thats the parents fault for buying it not the game's.
2) Violent games about killing are harmless... cause no one dies. Meanwhile you're doing the actual killing, you know... cause you're trained to do it after all...

BOOOOM! RIGHT IN THE CONTRADICTION!

bug_of_war

Nov 30, 2012
DVS BSTrD said:
As opposed to people like you who make their CAREERS out of being vicious killers.
That seems a little harsh. Being in the military does not make someone a vicious killer, and while I disagree with his statement (as do most people here) I still think he has a valid point. I disagree that violent media is the problem, but I do see how it could influence those who are damaged in one way or another and as for, "children playing Grand Theft Auto since they were 6" argument, maybe the finger should be pointed at the parents whom buy the video games rather than the games themselves.

In the end, there will always be violence in the world, it's nature.

Robot Number V

May 15, 2012
I'm actually pretty happy that this guy exists. His obvious stupidity makes him, and by extension his arguments, impossible to take seriously. He's kinda making our position stronger just by existing.

Anton Qvarfordt

Jan 28, 2012
I don't know, man. I've been playing violent videogames since i was like 8 and I'm still super-lame at killing people.

I tried. It was a mess.

FalloutJack

Bah weep grah nah neep ninny bom
Nov 20, 2008
"Anti-Anti-Gamer Person replies 'You're a dumbass, Dave'."

Seriously, this era is a death-time low in a world that has had violence in other media for decades. What an idiot! It's like somebody keeps making people say stupid things with drugs or something.

Ironside

Mar 5, 2012
Irridium said:
This guy is so wrong it's actually kind of funny. In the US, crime rates are the lowest they've ever been since the 1960's, and are still declining.
Indeed, over here in the UK there was also recently a news article saying that violent crime is now at an all time low as well. Sure the US has a problem with school shootings, but i hardly think video games can be blamed considering a lot of the rest of the world plays them and doesnt have the same kind of problems.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
SO a military psychiatrist gone mad basically?
despite the fact that real world violence has been falling ever since violent videogames started coming out?
Yeah id rather kill a person online than in a real world.

devotedsniper said:
Oh look another one blaming games, yet films and books get no such blame or better yet how about we focus on the real problems?
Loot at the title of his books that the article quotes. he blames all media equally.

CriticalMiss

Jan 18, 2013
Andy Chalk said:
He's a former West Point psychology professor, a professor of military science and U.S. Army Ranger, and also claims on his website [http://www.killology.com/] to be "the founder of a new field of scientific endeavor" known as "killology."
You can't spell 'Killology' without 'lol'!

And this guy's books have inspired me to write an autobiography called 'My book: A Book I Wrote Using Words I Wrote[/]', I think he'll like that title.

On topic: I wouldn't listen to a man blaming games for violence when he is part of a group paid to murder people and that recruits and trains young people to do the same. He's probably pissed because he wants to be Master Chief.