Anti-Game Critic Says "This Generation Will Give You Massacres"

Moonlight Butterfly

Be the Leaf
Mar 16, 2011
And yet the two countries who are above America in violent gun crime barely touch video games, Columbia is one of them. Japan and the UK (and the rest of Europe) barely have any.

Logic!

solemnwar

Sep 19, 2010
Haven't all studies ever actually shown that violence has DECREASED per capita? I mean, it's easy to see violence increasing if you just look at the numbers, but if you take into account that the POPULATION IS INCREASING, well, no fucking shit?

Regardless, the people doing the school shootings have been individuals (or a few individuals) that have been mentally unbalanced, and should have seen professional help.

I miss the days when people blamed demons when a person went right off the deep end and killed a bunch of people :/

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
My only experience with the army is that a boss at a former job started treating me like shit when I told him that due to my disability, I can't join. After that, he started giving me shit for every little thing I did.

I predict this guy will act just like my boss.

newwiseman

Aug 27, 2010
So the fact that actual violence has gone down while the number of violent games on the market has gone up is just ignored for convenience.

Innegativeion

Positively Neutral!
Feb 18, 2011
Johnson McGee said:
Innegativeion said:
So what data is in direct contradiction of his assertions?

/Snip

I know I know. Correlations don't prove anything, but the burden of proof is on the accuser. The man blindly speaks nonsense.
You can't say based on that data that violent video games cause a decrease in violent crime. However, that data makes a very strong case that violent video games don't cause it to increase either.
Yes, that is exactly my point.

As I said the burden of proof is on the accuser, Mr. Grossnman in this case. He fails to even acknowledge that his conception of a world overboiling with violence due to video games... is flat out wrong, much less try to form a counter-counterargument.

deathbydeath

Jun 28, 2010
TheDoctor455 said:
I am well aware of Swift's 'Modest Proposal', and the difference here is that he spent a great deal of time working on that, while you only spent a few minutes at most.

And even then, some people took the suggestion seriously.
My apologies for not spending an extensive amount of time on an unpaid internet forum post in which brevity is an optimal trait. I was mocking the man's beliefs by holding them up to scrutiny, pointing out a possible line of thought, and bringing it to a conclusion. I hope you'll forgive me for not wanting to write a damned essay on the subject.

TheDoctor455

Friendly Neighborhood Time Lord
Apr 1, 2009
deathbydeath said:
TheDoctor455 said:
I am well aware of Swift's 'Modest Proposal', and the difference here is that he spent a great deal of time working on that, while you only spent a few minutes at most.

And even then, some people took the suggestion seriously.
My apologies for not spending an extensive amount of time on an unpaid internet forum post in which brevity is an optimal trait. I was mocking the man's beliefs by holding them up to scrutiny, pointing out a possible line of thought, and bringing it to a conclusion. I hope you'll forgive me for not wanting to write a damned essay on the subject.

*rolls eyes*

Ehh... fair enough.

However, you first comment wasn't taking the idiot's statements to their logical extreme precisely BECAUSE he was ALREADY going to the logical extreme. What you were doing came off as redundant to me more than anything else.

Plus, my point with the time Swift took with his satire is simply that one should think very carefully before attempting it.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
I like the fire metaphor, because when we did everything we could to keep fires from happening, we just made them worse. Fire is a natural part of things. It happens, and nature can survive. When we stopped that from happening, fuel built up and up until a lightning strike or the spark from a random rock hitting another ignited it, and what would have been a few small controllable wildfires over a decade became one massive uncontrollable crown fire, which not only spreads further and causes more damage but also kills old growth that can endure a small wildfire.

Translation: Try to stop bad things from happening by blocking their release points and the inevitable explosion will be far, far worse.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildfire#Human_involvement said:
It was learned that suppression of fire in certain ecosystems actually increases the likelihood that a wildfire will occur and increases the intensity of those wildfires.
Also, Vice City is over ten years old. Someone who played it when he/she was five can now legally drive, and we haven't seen an increase in running over prostitutes. And bonus points for the "murder for peace" angle. That's a good one.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
TheDoctor455 said:
deathbydeath said:
TheDoctor455 said:
B) saying that we need to hunt down everyone in the Middle East and kill them?
Hey man, sometimes you got to be really, really sure.
Don't care if you're joking or not. Not funny.

And not okay to say.

Genocide, or even proposed genocide is not to be taken lightly.
Yeah, first off it's all jokes and such, and then the gentleman in question is the one commanding the tank battalion.

OT: I am the world's best city designer on Tropical Islands, the world's best guitar player, sniper, spy, racing driver and pilot. All from playing games.

And if in any circumstance, I'm required to take control of a levitating undead lich who happens to be a frost mage, i'll also be fine.

ShipofFools

Apr 21, 2013
What an awful, horrible little man he is. I wonder if he even has any thoughts to think at all, or is just repeating what others told him.

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Reyold said:
Nowhere Man said:
No, the disintegration of the family structure and disregard of parental responsibilities are whats to blame for rising murder rates. If there ARE any rising rates. Hasn't murder and violent crime as a whole actually gone DOWN over the years?
See that? That text in bold? That's why there are morons gunning for regulating M-rated games, because the parents are too friggin' lazy to do it themselves, even though there is a detailed rating system, for a medium that is far better regulated than any other.

People astound me sometimes...
Don't be ridiculous. Why would parents have any responsibility over what their children do in their spare time? Why should it be the parents' job to look at the explicitly clear age rating on the box and decide whether it's appropriate for their children? Why, that would imply such ridiculous notions such as that the parent had to, well... parent their children!

Excuse me if I wasn't being obvious enough with the sarcasm.

By the way, America really needs to adopt the idea of actually restricting games based on age. Even making sure shops can't sell Mature (or R18+ as it's called over here) and making the M label stand out more (again, bright red over here in NZ) would make a world of difference... Or maybe people would still insist that it's the game developers fault and not their's for ignoring the label, I don't know.

spwatkins

Nov 11, 2009
TheDoctor455 said:
deathbydeath said:
TheDoctor455 said:
B) saying that we need to hunt down everyone in the Middle East and kill them?
Hey man, sometimes you got to be really, really sure.
Don't care if you're joking or not. Not funny.

And not okay to say.

Genocide, or even proposed genocide is not to be taken lightly.
Funny.
Totally OK to say.

I think we might need to be worried though - he might think the solution to videogame violence is to hunt down and shoot all of us gamers.

omega 616

Elite Member
May 1, 2009
Fuck, if only we had more games than grand theft auto ...

How come when ever one of these "here we go again" articles goes up there is always one reference to GTA? What's funny is compared to a lot of games GTA is rather limp in it's gore ... imagine the outrage if they found manhunt or postal!?

On the flip side (I'm ghetto), you have great story driven games (anything with bioware on it for example).

I would say that the amount of violent games is very high, outside of sports games (some of which are violent themselves) there are few games (relativity speaking) that aren't violent ... not saying violence is bad, just there is a lot.

Quellist

Migratory coconut
Oct 7, 2010
What a jumped up Pratt. That's all I really have to say about this deluded man who seems to think he can spout groundless nonsense because he has "Credentials".
I think if I ever met him I'd have trouble not falling into an "Insulting French Guard" routine

Infernal Lawyer

Jan 28, 2013
Never mind all the gun-toting lunatics, by this logic we're also going to have:
-Crazy dictators and warlords scraping with each other because they played too much Age of Empires
-Balls off the tea trolley walls drivers who have played too much Mario Kart
-Sailors with an intense hatred of whales from playing Assassins Creed Pirate
-Out of control street brawls with fighters dishing out flying spinning kicks and goddamn fireballs from too much Street Fighter
-On the brighter side, a wave of brilliant pitch-perfect singers due to Singstar and the like.
-Oh yeah, Angry Birds. Lots and lots of motherfucking angry birds with their avian flu and explosive eggs in the near future.

Oh wait, apparently GTA (a game which is actually mild compared to other games and TONS of movies) and COD (which actually deifies soldiers) are the ONLY FUCKING GAMES IN EXISTENCE if you believe these complete and utter out-of-touch MORONS.