Anti-Game Critic Says "This Generation Will Give You Massacres"

Mar 19, 2010
But i guess he does not mind that you can buy 6 year old a 0.22 rifle and teach him/her how to shoot a REAL weapon at live animals.
I play violent video games each day almost but if i would get my hands on real fire arm i could not kill anyone because i do not know how to operate it or hit anything. I guess he does not realize that clicking mouse/controller button is wildly different from operating a real weapon.
Also how exactly will violent games make me want to kill anybody. Only times when i have murder in my eyes is when there is long queue for lunch and somebody delays it or overtakes me. Nobody gets between me and my lunch :) .

xPixelatedx

Jan 19, 2011
Andy Chalk said:
Dave Grossman says the prevalence of violent videogames in contemporary society has sparked a dramatic uptick in real-world violence.
No... NOPE. I am pretty sure it's just American kids going crazy from being American kids. The rest of the world plays the same games and watches the same movies, but they don't have the insane volume of school shootings we have.

"There is a generation of vicious, vicious killers out there," he said. "The videogames are their trainers. They've been playing Grand Theft Auto every spare moment since they were six years old."
You know what really breeds violence? Increasing poverty and supplying the populous with an over abundance of weapons they don't need; weapons that trickle down into the hands of children more and more every day. There is no reality where that isn't an isn't a 'powder keg'. Kids have always been kind of violent by nature, that's why they enjoy games where they play-kill one another. The difference is now it's almost as easy to get a real gun as it is a Nerf one; at least you would think that watching the news. For fucks sake, one of the last shootings I heard about involving children was a boy who shot his sister, using a gun HIS PARENTS gave him. Movies and games had nothing to do with it.

Doclector

Aug 22, 2009
Okay ************, it's fucking simple.

You want kids to stop killing folks?

1) Stop making the tools to kill so easy to reach. I know, this is more down to individual idiots than a government thing, unless we're going into the gun control argument again, which honestly, I don't have time for today.

2) Stop giving them reasons to. Stop backing kids into corners, when a kid cries for help, fucking listen, don't make them feel like they're all on their own and the entire world is their enemy, because, you being an experienced soldier, what would you do if you genuinely thought the world, the system, everyone around you, was against you? Negotiate? I doubt it. That's what's going on here. Too many damaged souls left alone, too much evidence given to them that the world hates them.

Gluzzbung

Nov 28, 2009
If I ever met the guy I'd want to talk to him with a level head about why he's wrong, but, just from reading this, it's plain that he's so extreme in his views that any allowances he might give aren't worth fighting for and the fact that he can't back up any of his claims with facts just makes it so plain that all he can be classified as is ignorant.

"They've been playing Grand Theft Auto every spare moment since they were six years old." Who's they? Six years old, hmm, it has an 18 rating, surely that's a failure of the parents rather than the children? Isn't it a little strange that violence which has been related to video games, of which there are very few accounts, have been from people with other problems or influences that stop them from thinking like rational human beings?

I give up on him. A man who has been trained to kill by a highly elite force and then paid to do so is accusing everyone from the casual games to the competitive professionals of being violent murders when it's likely that most of them don't even have a criminal record, and those that do, surely games are their retreat? They don't want to hang out in gangs or with criminals so they seek games as their company? His argument is flawed to the point where it's mostly lies and speculation, and we're giving him the attention he wants.

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
CardinalPiggles said:
I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention, I was too busy committing mass genocide. Minecraft taught me that one.
Try ICBM mod
Your mass genocides will become 368% more efficient
Scientifically proven ;)

blackrave

Mar 7, 2012
Doclector said:
Okay ************, it's fucking simple.

You want kids to stop killing folks?

1) Stop making the tools to kill so easy to reach. I know, this is more down to individual idiots than a government thing, unless we're going into the gun control argument again, which honestly, I don't have time for today.

2) Stop giving them reasons to. Stop backing kids into corners, when a kid cries for help, fucking listen, don't make them feel like they're all on their own and the entire world is their enemy, because, you being an experienced soldier, what would you do if you genuinely thought the world, the system, everyone around you, was against you? Negotiate? I doubt it. That's what's going on here. Too many damaged souls left alone, too much evidence given to them that the world hates them.
3)Kill all humans. Humans commit violent crimes. No humans- no crimes. Simple isn't it?

P.S. But I think your points are good as well :)

Giftmacher

Jul 22, 2008
Depressing to see this wrong-headed argument again and again. There's no evidence showing an up-tick in violence in the last 20 years or so (i.e. when FPS + GTA games exploded in popularity). If anything violence fell then plateaued, see CDC statistics for the US as an example:

http://www.cdc.gov/violenceprevention/youthviolence/stats_at-a_glance/

Correlation doesn't equal causation, and even if it did there isn't one in evidence here...

CardinalPiggles

Jun 24, 2010
blackrave said:
CardinalPiggles said:
I'm sorry I wasn't paying attention, I was too busy committing mass genocide. Minecraft taught me that one.
Try ICBM mod
Your mass genocides will become 368% more efficient
Scientifically proven ;)
By a doctor of Killology? I only trust those guys, they seem to know me better than I know myself!

Gameguy20100

Sep 6, 2012

Now that I have used the Nostalgia critic twice I can say FUCK YOU.

If you wanna stop Violence GET RID OF FUCKING GUNS!!!!!

GAmes dont cause VIOLENCE YOU TWAT BLAME SOMETHING ELSE LIKE FUCKED UP RELIGIONS OR POLITICS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

fall backs are fun. :)

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Zachary Amaranth said:
erttheking said:
Dear Mr. Grossman

I kill fake people. You kill real people. Yet I'm the murderer?

Go fuck yourself

That is all

Sincerely, someone with a working brain.
The hypocrisy is astounding.

But hey, it's designed for scare tactics, not thinking people.
You don't think that the ancient and complex art of Killology requires a tactful mind?

Froggy Slayer

Jul 13, 2012
Shocksplicer said:
Is it ironic that this man himself genuinely deserves to be shot and killed?

I think it might be...
Oi! Stop it. No one deserves to die, no matter how inane their views.

BoogieManFL

Apr 14, 2008
Well, I'm an anti-dumbass critic and I say people like this conveniently ignore other sociological factors and mental illnesses which are probably much more likely to be causal factor.

Krantos

Jun 30, 2009
Andy Chalk said:
The Government Security News website stated that his address was "long on emotion, and short on supportive evidence and detailed reasoning."
Dude, you just got burned by the GSN. That's a whole new kind of low. Also, not sure we should be taking sensitivity advice from someone who founded "Killology." Hell, I'm not sure we should be taking advice from someone who thought "killology" should even be a word.

Blunderboy

Apr 26, 2011
Urgh. This again.
I believe I'll let Karl Pilkington field my response with all the respect and gravity it deserves.

theSteamSupported

Mar 4, 2012
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zyzX00ko7xE/ULJOXovscdI/AAAAAAAAAvU/qh_W-Ai3ltU/s1600/devils_advocate_500.jpg

He probably assumes his killing, is was (he's retired) justified, as it is driven by nationalism and righteousness and other types of dogma bulls***. He's perhaps also assuming that video games skews the kids' perception of reality, thus making them think life works exactly like the game, i.e. with no consequences. Give a child a real gun on the other hand, and you're learning them "responsibility".

He's basically afraid people will start to kill for fun rather than for 'Mericuh.