Anti-Health Care Reform Groups Offer Virtual Currency for Support

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Anti-Health Care Reform Groups Offer Virtual Currency for Support

Facebook and other social gaming environments have become the spot for political groups to gain false support.

For some reason, it seems that people will do absolutely anything to get free virtual currency in social games, even support legislation they wouldn't otherwise. Anti-health care reform group "Get Health Reform Right" has been adding its own unique offers to the usual scam-tastic methods through which unsuspecting social gamers can get free currency.

Here's how this works. A 35-year old mother of two that logs into a farming social networking game wants to buy a bigger farmhouse, but it costs virtual currency and she has none. She can either pay for that currency, or click on a bunch of offers that will plunk it into her account after she gives over her cellphone number, address, or even more personal information depending on the offer. Whatever company that runs the offer gets something it wants, the game achieves some profit, and the mother gets her virtual currency and eventually a giant headache due to the aftereffects. "Get Health Reform Right" doesn't ask for much personal information other than name and email address, but it sends a letter to the appropriate government office from you saying that you do not support health care reform legislation.

The practice is called astroturfing (fake grass-roots campaigning) when it uses real money, so this is basically virtual astroturfing, and it is not illegal. If political groups have turned to virtual currency offers for support, there must be some serious research out there indicating that people really need to have those special items in their social games. Whether health-care reform is needed or not, this strikes me as incredibly deceptive and it surrounds a very important issue. But then, deception is what virtual currency offers are all about, particularly in the case of Zynga [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/news/view/96310-Zynga-Sued-Over-Deceptive-Advertising] which was basically forced to remove them from its games.

The next time you're playing a game on Facebook or MySpace, it would be wise to think twice about how much of your soul you're willing to sell to own a slightly bigger virtual house. Is it worth hindering legislation you might support, or vice versa?

Source: GamePolitics [http://www.businessinsider.com/health-insures-caught-paying-facebook-users-virtual-currency-to-send-letters-to-congress-opposing-reform-bill-2009-12]

comadorcrack

The Master of Speilingz
Mar 19, 2009
As an Englishman this doesn't affect me in the slightest.

As a Political Activist however, this shit will not fly.

El Poncho

Techno Hippy will eat your soul!
May 21, 2009
In a way your selling your opinion to those people for virtual money.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Demented Teddy said:
If you're gonna sell your vote then you don't deserve a vote.
Wrong. If you're going to sell your vote, at least sell it for something worth having.

Macgyvercas

Spice & Wolf Restored!
Feb 19, 2009
comadorcrack said:
As a Political Activist however, this shit will not fly.
Said the disbelieving friend to the inventor of the feces powered helicopter

Sorry, couldn't resist

magnuslion

Jun 16, 2009
people always sell their vote, usually the sell it best on thier beliefs. when was the last time you saw a politician who you completely agreed with? If you have, you win a spot in the 2009 Mindless drone awards. But people will usually settle for the politician that has opinion closest to their own, selling out some of their beliefs to cover the majority.

but selling your vote for virtual cash is fucked up, and these people ((both buyers and sellers)) should be beaten.

Dudemeister

Feb 24, 2008
Why the hell isn't this illegal?!
People who do this should have their voting privileges revoked forever.

Lord_Panzer

Impractically practical
Feb 6, 2009
Demented Teddy said:
Lord_Panzer said:
Demented Teddy said:
Wrong. If you're going to sell your vote, at least sell it for something worth having.
People selling their votes is a perfect example as to why the majority is unfit to govern itself through democracy.
Thing is, this isn't a vote; It's an opinion. And you're not really selling it, you're renting it out.

If a group did the same exact thing only it supports health care reform, you could get free virtual monies from them too. Your local representative would get one letter saying you're against, and one saying you're for it.

This isn't getting a check in the mail from (being Canadian I'll use my own system) a candidate for my MLA filled to the brim with cash asking for my vote, this is the internet trading virtual swag for your name on a mailing list.

FallenRainbows

Feb 22, 2009
Demented Teddy said:
Lord_Panzer said:
Demented Teddy said:
People selling their votes is a perfect example as to why the majority is unfit to govern itself through democracy.
I am forever sliding towards your fascism. Democracy is broken.

ArcWinter

May 9, 2009
If you play games on Facebook, your opinion is automatically invalidated, so this doesn't really change anything.

Sonicron

Do the buttwalk!
Mar 11, 2009
Demented Teddy said:
Lord_Panzer said:
Demented Teddy said:
Even though I might get a bit of stick for this, seeing where I'm from and all, I have to agree with you. People who consciously choose to sell their votes (and for something as idiotic as virtual currency no less) basically throw away one of the most important (if not THE most important) right you have as a citizen of any given nation, and the mere idea of it sickens me.

Ancientgamer

Jan 16, 2009
They're not selling votes, votes aren't even involved. It's just sending an e-mail proclaiming your support for one group or another.

A bit devious, yeah, but it's not illegal and in no way should it be.

Doug

Apr 23, 2008
This should be illegal. In fact, WHY THE FUCK ISN'T IT?! Seriously, why would exchanging your vote for a bike be illegal, but exchanging your vote for a service (i.e. virtual currency) isn't?

I won't get involved in the would health care thing as I living in the UK and hence have free healthcare as an option.

Aardvark

Sep 9, 2008
So you sign up, give your name, get your fake money, then send two letters in support of whatever it is they're against, one legitimate letter to cancel out the form letter they send on your behalf, one just to stick it to them. It's win-win. In that you win twice.

Eric the Orange

Gone Gonzo
Apr 29, 2008
I'd probably be angry if I wasn't such a cynic and had any faith in humanity. But as it stands I find this really, really funny.