Any cyberpunk story recommendations like deus ex human revolution/deus ex

Justanothergamer300

Jul 5, 2009
I know it's not totally video game topic but it partly still relates.

I've been playing through Deus Ex Human Revolution, and something I just realized is that I enjoy cyberpunk stories.

So I'm asking the escapist do you have any recommendations books, tv, cartoons, anime, video games, movies anything with an interesting cyberpunk world

PS: Things I've seen The matrix trilogy, yea that's about it I know

crusha_aa

Feb 27, 2008
Blade Runner is the obvious one. That film pretty much gave birth to cyberpunk (correct me if i'm wrong anyone).

StriderShinryu

Dec 8, 2009
William Gibson! Now! .. ahem... seriously, though. Start with Neuromancer and the rest of the sprawl series. You won't look back.

Arqus_Zed

Aug 12, 2009
^ Like he said: the Sprawl trilogy (Neuromancer, Count Zero, Mona Lisa Overdrive).

And perhaps Johnny Mnemonic (kind of a prequel to Neuromancer).

SnakeCL

Apr 8, 2008
Ghost in the Shell for anime. Both the movies, and the series "Stand Alone Complex" and "Second Gig" Actually, the setting itself in GitS is more of a "post augmentation" world.

Avaloner

Oct 21, 2007
Try out Shadowrun, a nice mix of cyberpunk and fantasy, there are videogames and pen and paper..along with alot of books.

Baneat

Jul 18, 2008
crusha_aa said:
Blade Runner is the obvious one. That film pretty much gave birth to cyberpunk (correct me if i'm wrong anyone).
Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep is the superior story version.

Ubik and just about all of Philip K Dick comes highly, highly recommended.

Phoenixmgs_v1legacy

Muse of Fate
Sep 1, 2010
SnakeCL said:
Ghost in the Shell for anime. Both the movies, and the series "Stand Alone Complex" and "Second Gig" Actually, the setting itself in GitS is more of a "post augmentation" world.
Ghost in the Shell is so good, it's not one of the best anime series I've seen, it's one of the best TV shows I've seen. I usually dislike most anime but Ghost in the Shell is pretty much devoid of any common anime traits I loathe.

Hydro Imp

May 30, 2009
pretty much what has been mentioned, although I will add Snow Crash to the list, it does have a lot of non cyberpunk elements in the story but it is in a cyberpunk world

Oct 30, 2010
The Stars My Destination by Alfred Bester

Cyberpunk 30 years before Cyberpunk and still one of the best.

ResonanceSD

Guild Warrior
Legacy
Dec 14, 2009
Country
Australia
Justanothergamer300 said:
I know it's not totally video game topic but it partly still relates.

I've been playing through Deus Ex Human Revolution, and something I just realized is that I enjoy cyberpunk stories.

So I'm asking the escapist do you have any recommendations books, tv, cartoons, anime, video games, movies anything with an interesting cyberpunk world

PS: Things I've seen The matrix trilogy, yea that's about it I know

Uplink:Hacker Elite. Made of win.

shadow_Fox81

Jul 29, 2011
crusha_aa said:
i think it brought the genre to western audiences and gave it a more restrictive definition.

but cyber punk has always been there in comics the Airtight garage was an influence on ridley scott's film and much of the key element of cyber punk existed in the works of Osamu Tezuka as well as many other japenese and european graphic novelist up until its explosion in the 80's.

but Masunume Shirow Perfected the genre

(edit: i'm begining to feel i'm the only one who read the original ghost in the shell novels)

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
Does Systemshock count?
Not sure, never really got into the Cyberpunk genre.

blipblop

May 21, 2009
Aeon flux the old animated work of Peter Chung (he also made one of the animatrix episodes) not that live action movie

blipblop

May 21, 2009
Rememberd a few more movies
Gattica, THX 1138, the fifth element,Tron, Johnny Mnemonic, Minority Report.

Teh Jammah

Nov 13, 2010
Only thing I haven't seen mentioned that semi-qualifies is Akira and maybe Cyber City Oedo 808, but yeah, Gibson's stuff (i'd stick to the books tho), Blade Runner, G.i.t.S. (and Stand Alone Complex), Shadowrun if you're RPGing it, as have all been mentioned. The Matrix has cyberpunk elements, but I'd hesitate at calling it full-blown .