Any good game/general geek sites that dont moan about sexism/racism/homophobia?

BloatedGuppy

Feb 3, 2010
Alatar The Red said:
Shame on everyone who jumped on the OP simply for asking for suggestions.
Hey, if that was all he did, I'm guessing no one would've "jumped all over him". As you appear to share his perspective on what does or does not constitute "pointless bullshit" I'm not surprised you feel a bit protective of him though.

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Alatar The Red said:
Shame on everyone who jumped on the OP simply for asking for suggestions.
Had he of been simply asking for suggestions he wouldn't be getting the responses he has. Firstly the whole title of the thread is kind of inflammatory. "Any good game/general geek sites that don't moan about sexism, racism, homophobia, etc." gives off the first impression that not only does OP not care about these subjects, but he considers people who do bring up these things in context to games as petty whiners.

He then reinforces that impression by going out of his way on page 1 of this thread by stating that he refuses to knowingly give ad revenue to an entire site for bringing up said subjects, has said on numerous occasions (inside and out of this thread.)that individuals who did care about these things had mental issues, and even regarded the stuff he doesn't care about as "pointless bullshit" that has zero place in game reviews, and apparently zero relevance to everyone who plays games as if he is the sole voice of the entire gaming community-in other words the world revolves around him.

Had his tone had been of simply inquiry, and just condemnation he wouldn't be getting the responses he had.

Andy Shandy

Fucked if I know
Jun 7, 2010
The one time I visited Reaxxion(sp?), part of their opening post said something along the lines of "only attractive women are allowed" so I'm pretty sure they don't give a fuck.

I didn't exactly stay around long enough to see if they did reviews mind.

Darks63

Mar 8, 2010
You could always do what I do and use user reviews as a guide. I simply look at the mid range to low reviews and skim the reviews for key phases of things I dislike and if I don't see them/see then often enough I move on to the positive reviews of the game to see what features there are. I admit this is more time consuming and alot more sifting is required due to fanboyism, plant reviews, and one line wonders.

You can also browse the forums of the game to get an idea of what people are talking about as well such as major bug or mechanic issues. Alternatively you can fine that most people are happy wit the game, but again you need to keep in mind that the forum may be run like a police state too.

Roxas1359

Burn, Burn it All!
Aug 8, 2009
CandideWolf said:
Well that is a bummer that you feel the hostility is that bad. No doubt there are just plain rotten people on any side of an argument. You're right how everything has been made into a false dichotomy, so it just means that you get to be the person that makes the conversation more civil if you so desire.
Unfortunately I'm at the point in which I won't make myself a target to both sides. I've tried peace-keeping in the past and in the end it only made both sides target me, and I don't need that at all.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
Are you a Steam user OP? If you are, you could do what I do and just ignore all reviews. If a game looks cool, and it's cheap enough that you're OK wasting a tiny bit of money, then you can get around needing reviews at all. For me, if it's under $5, I don't mind buying it to find out if it's good enough. I've been pleasantly surprised often enough that I feel a bit guilty for getting a great game for as cheap as I did.

Vigormortis

Nov 21, 2007
mecegirl said:
Bloated has said a bit of what I would have so I'll just add on. Personally I could care less about the terms baggage and see no reason why anyone should feel the need to try and prevent the "political posturing" of other posters. Especially in this case since you don't seem to have an issue with what the term means. Add in that a large portion of this thread's participants have basically told the OP to check their privilege without using the term "check your privilege". Even the poster who used the term. Her first few posts were basically "check your privilege" and later she used the term.

The term isn't overtly hostile some folks just choose to react in a hostile manner after hearing it.
Well, if this be the case, then the phrase is so nebulous as to be useless.

I think we agree that it's not, but let's be fair. I didn't say it was a hostile phrase. I said it was confrontational and dismissive.

And it is dismissive. Regardless of what 'baggage' you do or don't associate with it, using the phrase denotes a dismissal of someone's argument or opinion based solely on a perceived "advantage" they may hold as a result of their race, gender, etc, etc.

There are plenty of things one could do to argue against the OPs point of view, and had there not already been a chorus of voices speaking up against it I likely would have voiced my own, but they do not include using pointless phrases like 'check your privilege'.

All that aside, I'm in stark disagreement with the OP that discussing sociopolitical topics within the realm of video gaming media is 'irrelevant'. And while I personally feel the topics haven't necessarily been getting the kinds of discussions they deserve, I'd prefer to see more of them within the industry. Not less.

I'd think you and I could, if nothing else, agree on that. ;)

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
Well of course it's a different opinion/viewpoint, I just don't agree with it one bit. I'm all for people having different opinions and all but that doesn't mean I have to find them all equally valid. People always try to defend accusations of racism/sexism/homophobia as "it's just criticism, why do you dislike it so much?" but I would argue most of the time it's somewhat unfounded. I'm not going to agree with every point made and can just as easily make a point of my own refuting such an opinion as I would with any bit of 'criticism' I don't agree with.
Good, that would foster a healthy debate. Just don't go about it like the OP did.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
Genocidicles said:
San Martin said:
Maybe if you can give a single good reason why discussions of racism, sexism and homophobia are "pointless bullshit" in the context of videogames,
Because racism, sexism and homophobia have no effect on the gameplay, which is the most important part of a video game.

Where was it decided that gameplay was the most important part of video games? Some of my favorite games have shit gameplay and focus themselves on their story. Wolf Among Us, Walking dead, heck, Planescape Torment is regarded as one of the best video games ever with absolutely terrible gameplay.

Just because you don't care about story, doesn't mean others share that view. Honestly that viewpoint is just insulting to gaming as an art form.

Also I know that you're getting a lot of grief with this thread, but what were you expecting with your dismissive insulting tone? A lot of the people on this site that you're asking for help are the moaners you're complaining about. Don't bite the hand that feeds you.

Spider RedNight

There are holes in my brain
Oct 8, 2011
Wow, this thread was exciting! I laughed, I cried... it moved me.

[sub]Okay I didn't cry but I did get a good chuckle out of how this started to turn into the fight at the O.K. Corral.[/sub]

OT: I get what the OP is saying which is why my sage advice is to just not pay much attention to ANY reviews. I don't trust 'em no matter how high they're ranked or what people say about 'em... which is probably why I was surprised to see tits in Red Dead Redemption BUT my point still stands. I look at pictures, watch some gameplay, maybe see what a friend has to say then check out games based on my own merits.

[sub]Also I can't help but feel that just a couple of people are putting too much of a counter-argument on "The OP specifically said that people who were interested in social issues need psychiatric help" sub-plot of this thread. It was mentioned in a passing comment regarding an exaggerated analogy... point. -insert smart word here because I'm a moron-

BUUUUUUUUUUUT that's just me. I play games I think look fun! Screw the system for thinking they can judge what games I should and shouldn't like! Just take a look at my Thor game gathering dust on my shelf! I'm of absolutely no help to anyone ever! :D[/sub]

The Bucket

May 4, 2010
Why has this turned into such a dogfight? I dont even particularly agree with him or anything, but the OP wasnt trying to change anything here or on other sites, he just wanted something that fit a certain niche he was having trouble finding. Most of the more dismissive/slightly unpleasant tone came after people responded extremely dismissive themselves. I don't think going through the usual sexism/racism etc. in gaming debate is all that relevant here.

babinro

Sep 24, 2010
I can get behind the OP on this as well though the subject has never truly bothered me enough to seek out a solution.

Just some examples:
- I could care less if someone felt Resident Evil 4 & 5 were racist in it's enemy types/location portrayal. I play games all the time where the enemies are part of one region of it's internal world.

- I don't care that the GTA5 playable characters are not likeable protagonists. The protagonists in most games I play will murder 100's of people/animals/aliens in order to achieve their goals. I wouldn't consider that person any more likeable in real life. Sorry Link, you may have saved Hyrule but I question the mass slaughter needed to accomplish your goals.

- I don't actually care if someone has a problem with the nature of the content being shown. I don't need to know the reviewer's opinion on the existence of a game concept like Hatred. I don't need to know what a reviewer thinks of the sexualization of characters in Dragon's Crown. It's not important to me that the reviewer found the inclusion of abortion comedy in Southpark to be offensive.

- I DEFINITELY don't need to be told about the game creators political/social actions outside of the game. Nor do I need to know about those of the publisher, the devs, the QA testers, the company hired to drive boxed copies to stores, etc. None of my business in a review or preview. That's behind the scenes stuff best saved for things like editorials.

People will reach their own conclusions when it comes to these issues. The explanation of the gameplay and story in Hatred will inform me as to the nature of it's content. I need only learn if the game controlled well, if the story was well told/compelling, etc.

OP: I have no idea what site/sites to recommend, sorry. I've just made a habit of disregarding the stuff that shouldn't influence me. But I can appreciate you not wanting to financially support this stuff through your actions.

BytByte

Nov 26, 2009
Nods Respectfully Towards You said:
What exactly did he say for so many people to start getting on him about it? All he did was call something he thought was stupid, stupid. He never insulted anyone that actually wants the things he doesn't, he just called the thing itself irrelevant bullshit and I'm inclined to agree. It's funny because the people saying it somehow implies he thinks the people that do want this stuff are stupid are usually the ones that say calling a game sexist/racist/whatever isn't the same as calling the developers sexist/racist/whatever.
That's the power of words dude. There is no reason you need to say something is a piece of poo because you don't like it. Words like that carry stronger tones than others. That is obvious, so it does matter. The biggest problem was that it was out of the blue, at least in terms of this thread. He immediately called the stuff he doesn't like "shit", clearly showing what he thinks of it and in a way more hostile than necessary. Also, you missed the part where I said that sexist/racist/whatever elements in games does NOT make the game sexist/racist/whatever. And no one said anything about anyone being stupid. Again, don't fall into the false dichotomy of us vs them.

Ushiromiya Battler

Oddly satisfied
Feb 7, 2010
MarsAtlas said:
NeutralStasis said:
This thread represents EVERYTHING I dislike about gaming culture currently. Nothing that the more "social aware" members of this discussion will be able to say that will impact the OT thinks or feels. The OT may have not approached it in the best possible manner, but people on here took serious offence to this person not wanting any social agenda to be a part of his game review process.
No, people took offense because the OP said that anybody who cared about those things was mentally ill. Its one thing not to care about it, its another to insult people who care about it. I don't care for the fighting or racing genres, but I don't openly insult people who care about those games.
Except he didn't. He responded to a quote with an exaggeration and said that if anyone reacted in the way described they should seek mental help.
You sound like the people that go after Anita HowDoISpellHerLastName when they intentionally misrepresent what she said.

I can get people finding offense with him saying what they like is shit, but blatantly misrepresenting what he said and start a witch hunt is never okay.
I think people should calm the fuck down.

OT:
I have absolutely no idea as I don't really read reviews. Though I wish I read a review on SAO: Hollow Fragment so I knew the English localization would be shit.

Diddy_Mao

Jan 14, 2009
I too prefer to get my news from reporters that are guaranteed to align with my politics and world view.
It's disturbing and distressing to me to have to hear opinions that differ from my own.

If anyone might happen to know of such a place kindly let me know.

Leoofmoon

Aug 14, 2008
Phasmal said:
Genocidicles said:
San Martin said:
Maybe if you can give a single good reason why discussions of racism, sexism and homophobia are "pointless bullshit" in the context of videogames,
Because racism, sexism and homophobia have no effect on the gameplay, which is the most important part of a video game.
They might be important to people playing them if they are affected by that sort of thing.
Y'know, maybe some women don't want to play a game that treats women like shit, for example?
And some gamers are women.
So... they'd want to know?

How is this hard to follow?

Anyway, Wikipedia. That'll tell you all you need to know, I guess, if you're looking for complete objectivity.
I ma sorry but most of that information you saw in the ABC interview about video games and nerd was fucking shit.

I am sorry but all the news outlets calling gamers fat nerd who dwell in basements does drive people away from there sites.