Any good game/general geek sites that dont moan about sexism/racism/homophobia?

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
TheKasp said:
@MrFalconfly:

All fine and dandy but your rant is irrelevant to the issue at hand.

You claimed that no player ever did that. I quote you:

Something no other player ever did.
It is a very bold claim that can be easily demonstrated false by doing that. Your evidence is flimsy at best and I called you out on it.

Everything else is irrelevant and defensive ranting on your side.
Alright, that one is on me.

Of cause, nothing is ever categorically true (unless it's math).

But statistically the vast majority, will not kill bystanders, but I can't answer for the idiots who think going Jack the Ripper is the objective.

However that still doesn't make the game sexist. It makes the offending players utter bastards.

Just like you don't call a Ferrari dangerous, because the driver crashed it. It was the driver who was "dangerous".

MrFalconfly

Sep 5, 2011
TheKasp said:
@MrFalconfly:

Well, there is plenty to argue that the dev created this scenario with the rules of the game had all kind of experimentation in mind. The devs know that players in the games like to do both, murder everyone and do silent runs. So I 'get' the assessment that the player is invited to do all kind of crazy shit to those NPCs (like every other in the game).

Does this make the game sexist? Not really. I have yet to see people claiming that the game as a whole is sexist but I can understand how this part is problematic, like I understand how one particular scene in the "Son of Batman" is a prime example of toxic masculinity and sexism (against men) but this still does not influence the rest of the movie.

Is the dev sexist? Not really. Well, not in a way I'd call 'sexist'. In nearly all cases where one would try to ascribe "fault" to a problem one would not try and blame the dev but society, point that out and hope that people learn. This ties with my issue above: While I was baffled as to why one would ever write such a scene I knew the answer: Because males are supposed to like sex and the rape of males is mostly used as a punchline. The writer at the end is just a part of the chain leading to the actual issue.

Overall I'm glad you took that one iffy statement back, you can feel free to quantify the amount of players that done that, I myself won't even attempt to do that one.

I won't discuss this any further until my forum interface works properly. It is a pain in the ass to only see one line of the text I write, I have no fucking clue how the formatting will be and I don't want to PM anymore that I answered to people.
Well, I've always said that when shown to be wrong I'll gladly admit it, and if possible make an errata.

I might be a stubborn bastard, but I try my damnedest to at least be truthful, and/or accurate.

Phasmal

Sailor Jupiter Woman
Jun 10, 2011
Leoofmoon said:
I ma sorry but most of that information you saw in the ABC interview about video games and nerd was fucking shit.

I am sorry but all the news outlets calling gamers fat nerd who dwell in basements does drive people away from there sites.

Please tell me more about these mysterious creatures called gamers! Clearly I have no experience with them outside of a video you've decided that has informed all my opinions.

Never mind that I literally mentioned nothing about gamers except to say that some of them are women.
Not sure why you felt the need to quote me at all.

Apr 5, 2008
I've found myself more recently frequenting metacritic for my reviews. Bringing up a given title usually results in multiple reviews from different sites and I'll pick a positive one, a moderate one and if those two aren't enough, another in the hopes of clarifying/confirming the first two. I occasionally read the negative ones but not often.

The nice thing about this method is that since my sources are "random" and from sites I wouldn't otherwise frequent it's often fairly easy to build a picture of a game and its mechanics and I can't really recall encountering much, if any, social crusading on issues I don't care about and have no interest in in the context of a game.

In fairness, I'm rarely interested in AAA these days. I have no interest in military shooters, anything (re)released annually, generic third-person action-adventures and the rest, and its those titles that come under the most scrutiny by SJWs, white knights, feminists and their ilk. That or I've simply been lucky that the games I do play are either overlooked or approved by them, else have nothing about which they might complain (eg. Racing, space sims, etc)

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Amusing that this thread never seemed to evolve beyond the "Stop wanting choices" phase.

As for myself? Well, honestly, I don't frequent many review sites.

I mostly take a lot of information in from word of mouth and that kind of thing.

Steam Curators are a pretty good option, assuming you're subscribed to the right people.

That, or there's always 4chan, which really isn't as bad as people seem to think. It's just an internet forum really.

Obviously just by visiting the Escapist forum, I tangentially pick up on a lot of Escapist stuff too. So, yeah, Escapist isn't too bad honestly, a lot of the more "Social" people of the site went the way of the dodo recently, which, I find odd, but, it does reduce the amount of that kind of content.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
The Lunatic said:
Amusing that this thread never seemed to evolve beyond the "Stop wanting choices" phase.
Eh, I have a hard time looking at it that way. The OP never really said anything along the lines of "I want choices", he didn't say "I just want a politically neutral review site." It was him saying he didn't want to listen to people "moaning" about sexism racism and homophobia. And since a lot of people on this website talk about those things, it pretty much came across as him calling him moaners.

Word choice matters.

Ishal

Oct 30, 2012
Genocidicles said:
I want news about games/movies/comics, I don't give a shit about whether or not something is 'problematic'.

Are there any major sites that keep this shit out of their reviews, previews and basic discussions? I don't want to give ad revenue to any company that thinks these things are relevant in the discussion of video games, tv shows or comics or whatever.
I found a decent smaller site that I've taken a liking to, OP.

It's called TechRaptor. Look it up. They do some good work and have some pretty insightful writers from what I've seen so far. Given that I just built a gaming PC. I've been able to jump in to more of their articles since they're now relevant to me.

weirdee

Swamp Weather Balloon Gas
Apr 11, 2011
You're basically asking for people to compartmentalize when untraumatized human brain activity consists entirely of interconnected thoughts, feelings, and memories, and even if they never made direct mention of them, it'd still show in the work anyway. If you can't shut out the concepts you don't like reading or thinking about by your own effort, what makes you think that it's easy for everybody else to do it for you, for basically free? If anything, the main reason why it's so prevalent now is that it was largely suppressed in the past, and to continue doing so would probably ruin everything for everybody, including you, in the long run, when that bigger dam cracks. The closest thing you could achieve would be willfully lying to yourself and surrounding that with other people corroborating that lie, and if you want that, you know exactly where to find it, and what kind of people would resort to it.

The only place where something could exist without any influence from nearby sources or historical events would be outside this universe. To feel sorry for yourself, to be subjected to the expressions of other people, is a direct consequence of prior events that EVERYBODY in this community feels, not just you, and many others have had it worse. Feel free to join the circle of lies, but know that doing so, you are actively contributing to the problem that is currently nagging at you. Or look at the thing you dread, address it, and help to drive it out of our lives completely, by resolving it. Then you will have the peace you seek.

Pete Oddly

Nov 19, 2009
Are there any GOOD sites that avoid these things? No.
The reason being no site that avoids deeper analysis and discussion of geek culture, whether it be the problematic issues of various prejudices or the growing presence of geek culture in the mainstream consciousness, can be considered anything but mediocre.

The Lunatic

Princess
Jun 3, 2010
Ishal said:
It's called TechRaptor. Look it up. They do some good work and have some pretty insightful writers from what I've seen so far. Given that I just built a gaming PC. I've been able to jump in to more of their articles since they're now relevant to me.
TechRaptor is pretty good.

I mean, there's still articles about the whole social side of things, but usually from a more neutral standpoint.

However, there are a few not-very-neutral articles, which, given one of the people working there was subject to an "internet hate campaign" (As is the current fashionable term.) led by a developer after they dared to give the game a mediocre review, it's understandable that they would have a less than positive point of view on the work of that person.

So, it's not an ideal choice for somebody looking to avoid it completely.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
insaninater said:
Please point out the part where Life Character said games had to be political tools designed only to advance social justice, because I don't see it.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
insaninater said:
Wrong. I'm pretty sure it's more in response to him saying, multiple times throughout the thread mind you, that he only cares about gameplay and that it was more important than anything else. Story? Themes? Characters? The OP more or less says he doesn't care about that, which is where Life Characters frustration came from. Hence the "It plays nice" part of the comment.

Well that isn't the view that's being held, so you don't have to to worry.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
insaninater said:
Genocidicles said:
Because racism, sexism and homophobia have no effect on the gameplay, which is the most important part of a video game.
Genocidicles said:
Because if the writing in a game effects someone so much they can no longer play it properly then I'd wager they're a candidate for psychiatric help.
More or less saying that if you think that bad writing is a major problem with gaming, enough to make you not to want play it, you need mental help.

Not exactly putting storytelling in gaming on a high pedestal.