Anyone avoiding Amiibos

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
I'm avoiding the scalpers. There are a few Amiibos I'd like simply because Xenoblade Chronicles and the Fire Emblems are some of my favourite games and I wouldn't mind owning some merchandise. The fact that they unlock minor things in some games is a nice bonus. Not going to pay a cent more than MRSP, though. And if Nintendo doesn't want my money, well fine, their loss, not mine.

wooty

Vi Britannia
Aug 1, 2009
I'm avoiding them like a plague. There's a perfectly good toilet in my bathroom for if I ever feel like flushing away more of my hard earned money.

Charli

Nov 23, 2008
Avoiding only insomuch as I need to hold onto my cash this year.

...Nintendo mishandle their tech all the time, I'm far from surprised that that particular development.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Do people in this thread have no income? Are you middle-schoolers? The least sensible argument I've seen so far deals with price, and $13 is the cost of a cocktail*. Just one.

Furthermore, I think what people like most about them is the statue part. That's why people were so annoyed when the quality-downgrade was shown. The functionality is only a part of it.

*more or less by location

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
144 said:
Do people in this thread have no income? Are you middle-schoolers? The least sensible argument I've seen so far deals with price, and $13 is the cost of a cocktail.
In my country they cost twice as much, and that's the standard price of a full game. Buying an Amiibo would be like buying a full-price game somewhat close to launch value. There're 30 or 40 games I'd rather buy for that money before purchasing an overpriced collectible figurine doll. And like I said, I've seen them priced up to $70 in GameStop.

But you know what, even $13 would be too much. Two hundred pesos? That's an entire week of groceries right there. Or a month's worth in bus fares (plus change). Or an expensive lunch. Or four and a half movie tickets. Or half a game (maybe an entire game if it's used or on sale). Just to put some perspective.

Risingblade

Mar 15, 2010
Well I either pay 13 bucks for a luciana amiibo or 50+ for a figure, I don't even own a wii u .-.

Signa

Noisy Lurker
Legacy
Jul 16, 2008
Country
USA
I would kinda like to collect them, but getting more than 3 or so will start denting my wallet more than they are really worth. The fact that they might not even be around long enough to collect has turned me off further.

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
I've bought three because I like the characters and how the figures look. I don't know if I'll use them or if I'll get any more though.

Two of the three were easy to get (and still are easy to get, they're Kirby and Peach). The third...I was lucky. I got Rosalina off Target's site before they sold out this morning. It was $18US instead of $13 because of shipping (+ tax) but whatever, it's way less than what people are paying on eBay: $30-$80 for just Rosalina. Absolutely insane. I understand the "what if I miss my chance to get one?!" thing, but at least wait until release day.

EyeReaper

Aug 17, 2011
I'm not avoiding Amiibos... but they sure seem to be avoiding me.

I love these things, not gonna lie. And not just because they're hilariously stupid at Smash bros. Besides, I'm used to paying 10-15 dollars for figurines of similar quality that do jack shit, so amiibos are pure profit to me. Besides, If it's between a 40 dollar nendoroid luigi and a 13 dollar amiibo, I think my budget's already decided which one i gets

Ishigami

Sep 1, 2011
I do and it's pretty easy to avoid them: I don't have Nintendo consoles (anymore).
But I got those two:
[http://www.directupload.net/file/d/3885/eobyzy7v_jpg.htm]

Including shipping to Europe thats 800 Euros of resin...

RaikuFA

Jun 12, 2009
Kotaro said:
I'm avoiding them just because of the scarcity situation. Seriously, get your shit together, Nintendo.
Once they clarify the situation, confirm that more stock is on the way, and I can easily grab the ones I want for a reasonable price, then I'll buy some, but not a moment earlier.
Same here. Though I reserved the Shulk one cause that one will be rare no matter what.

Vivi22

Aug 22, 2010
Not avoiding them since I don't have a platform where I could even use them. That said, I'm strongly against the idea of making video games which lock out some of the content unless you start buying some stupid fucking figurines on top of it. It's a blatant cash grab and the fact that it seems to be working makes me sick to my stomach. I guess even Nintendo isn't above treating their fans like open wallets.

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
I plan on getting few because I want the figures. I'm really interested in the Little Mac figure and I hope we get a Hyrule Warriors Ganondorf and Link amiibo. The SSB Link amiibo with the curved sword and piss yellow plastic holding Link look ugly as hell.

144 said:
Do people in this thread have no income? Are you middle-schoolers? The least sensible argument I've seen so far deals with price, and $13 is the cost of a cocktail*. Just one.
Pst, I will tell you a secret. But don't tell it to anyone, okay? Okay, here it goes.
Not everyone lives in the US or some other developed country.
For my to import one (yes, I need to import because there isn't even a single store in my country selling them) I need ~$30 which is at the current currency exchange rate a ~2.5 daily wages. Or since you're talking in cocktails, it would be close to 10 cocktails.

sanquin

Jun 8, 2011
I don't have to avoid them as I'm not interested in them in the first place. So I can get Nintendo figurines...big deal. There are certain very good anime I'd rather have a figurine or two of. And even then it doesn't go further than a casual interest. I live for experiences, not material goods. (Though I'm not shy for a certain level of comfort of course.)

Rebel_Raven

Jul 24, 2011
Kinda sorta. I mean I'll crack like an egg dropped from low orbit if I see wii fit trainer, most likely. Strongly considering Samus. Still, I have no use for them, really. I don't feel like I have the time, or resources to utilize them. Maybe if all goes well with the new 3ds xl?

kilenem

Jul 21, 2013
Vivi22 said:
Not avoiding them since I don't have a platform where I could even use them. That said, I'm strongly against the idea of making video games which lock out some of the content unless you start buying some stupid fucking figurines on top of it. It's a blatant cash grab and the fact that it seems to be working makes me sick to my stomach. I guess even Nintendo isn't above treating their fans like open wallets.
Not trying to defend Nintendo but this isn't new and actually is there bread and butter if you count the fact you have to have two different versions of a pokemon game to complete a pokedex when pokemon first started out. Know I think you need like 5 or more.

Hairless Mammoth

Jan 23, 2013
barbzilla said:
Anyone else feel that they are a strange knock off of the Dreamcast's interactive Memory cards?
Not really to me. That would imply Amiibo either have a screen and mini controls or we could put two or more Amiibo together without a Wii U/N3DS and have them dual. They actually remind me of that seldom used Mii save feature of Wii remotes.
kilenem said:
Not trying to defend Nintendo but this isn't new and actually is there bread and butter if you count the fact you have to have two different versions of a pokemon game to complete a pokedex when pokemon first started out. Know I think you need like 5 or more.
Quite true. I think Nintendo of Japan's original reasoning was that splitting the Pokemon into two games meant players would socialize to collect them all. Japan's dense population and popularity of portable games there (because of the train/bus rides and small apartments with shared TVs) lent to this being relatively easy over there. I'd bet NoA and other regional offices saw that marketing plan and thought to themselves "I'd bet a lot of people will buy both games, and maybe another Gameboy, too." The socializing aspect might work almost as good in congested cities in the west, but, for the less urban kids, finding friends who had Gameboys, the right version of Pokemon and the right critter to trade was really hard. I gave up and used my sister's Gameboy and her copy of Red (Admit it. We all did.) to get the rest, as she had given up months (years?) ago.

The difference, however, is at least you could find the games. (I remember a GBC shortage for a couple months in the late 90s, but I don't think Red or Blue was scarce. Correct me if I'm wrong.) If you wanted to get all of the 'mons and were willing to spend oodles for the MSRP of 2 games, 2 Gameboys and the link cable (minus anything you could borrow from a friend), you could go out and drop cash right on the counter and be walking out with the goods. Now with Amiibo, good luck finding even the rare ones you wanted (without paying a shady guy halfway across your region way too much extra), much less collecting all of a set.

Ahri_Blaze

Sep 9, 2014
kilenem said:
Its freakin hard to avoid Amiibos because I'm a scalper..
Should I be reporting you to the police then? Seriously don't freaking admit you are a scalper dude. No one likes them.

shintakie10

Sep 3, 2008
I'm not exactly avoidin them, just haven't seen any I really want at the moment. If I ever see a Midna one I'll be all over that though.