Anyone avoiding Amiibos

Aiddon_v1legacy

Nov 19, 2009
No, because I do think they're a cool bit of merch with interesting potential. In addition to being neat collectibles, they've also shown to do some neat stuff across multiple titles. I've actually been building Amiibo fighters in Smash Bros and it's fascinating to see how they learn and get better over fights. Mario Kart adds Mii suits, Hyrule Warriors gives out loot or weapons, Kirby essentially gives out a daily cheat, and STEAM will give new fighters. I do wonder what functionality they could give to new titles.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
144 said:
Do people in this thread have no income? Are you middle-schoolers? The least sensible argument I've seen so far deals with price, and $13 is the cost of a cocktail.
In my country they cost twice as much, and that's the standard price of a full game. Buying an Amiibo would be like buying a full-price game somewhat close to launch value. There're 30 or 40 games I'd rather buy for that money before purchasing an overpriced collectible figurine doll. And like I said, I've seen them priced up to $70 in GameStop.

But you know what, even $13 would be too much. Two hundred pesos? That's an entire week of groceries right there. Or a month's worth in bus fares (plus change). Or an expensive lunch. Or four and a half movie tickets. Or half a game (maybe an entire game if it's used or on sale). Just to put some perspective.
Why would I specify the $13 price for cases where it doesn't cost $13? Maybe you aren't the majority here. I'm sorry for you and your case, and yes, it makes even less sense for you when they're overpriced by that much. But then again, you claim that "twice as much" can net you a full game, by which I can only assume you mean an indie game, because Argentina (and all of South America) is infamous for their pricing on videogames. What videogames can you get new for $26? Only new ones count, because we aren't discussing used amiibos. And here in the USA, where the OP seems to live, games cost around $30-$50. You might notice at this point that your math is shitty. I don't think you know what an entire week of groceries costs in the USA, either, if you claim to live in Argentina. I live in NY, where everything is expensive, and the cocktails I mentioned earlier are actually more than the standard amiibo. That was the perspective I tried to give, but weirdly, you ignored that bit. I wonder why? Is it because you have no idea?

BiH-Kira said:
Pst, I will tell you a secret. But don't tell it to anyone, okay? Okay, here it goes.
Not everyone lives in the US or some other developed country.
For my to import one (yes, I need to import because there isn't even a single store in my country selling them) I need ~$30 which is at the current currency exchange rate a ~2.5 daily wages. Or since you're talking in cocktails, it would be close to 10 cocktails.
See above regarding countries. If you want to make this story about you, make a thread with a different topic. The OP specified woes regarding a $13 price point, so I'm going to discuss a $13 price point. I'm sorry you (and Johnny) live in a place where amiibos are less viable. But clearly, regarding your secret, the market thinks anyone who matters lives in the US or some other developed country. I don't agree, but maybe if you'd let me get the secret out, more people will know, and the price will come down?

nightmare_gorilla

Jan 22, 2008
I have bought two so far, Sheik and Ike, and only because i genuinley like the characters and there is no such thing as an Ike figurine or collectible. I don't even own a wiiu I just wanted the figures. but honestly, I've hated the idea of adding figures to games since skylanders, and i'm sure someone tried it before skylanders but i don't remember them, These are essentially $15 DLC bundles that don't give you anything in game. the whole business model is dishonest to me personally. I know kids love the action figures I had a ton when i was a kid and i still have that box in storage but goddamn I'm not going to buy each fighting character individually for a game. I'm amazed modders havn't killed this business model already by just unlocking the characters. but apparently it's new law of the land now, Disney has one and Nintendo has one and i'm sure before too long blizzard or valve will have one too. and game sites love this crap for some reason, it makes no effing sense to me, maybe it's all the swag bags this gives birth to but i've never understood the popularity of this idea. it's real world micro transactions to me.

pearcinator

Apr 8, 2009
I don't like collecting things, even things I love (Nintendo) I still don't collect them. Toys aren't really my thing either so nope, not for me thanks.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
nightmare_gorilla said:
I have bought two so far, Sheik and Ike, and only because i genuinley like the characters and there is no such thing as an Ike figurine or collectible. I don't even own a wiiu I just wanted the figures. but honestly, I've hated the idea of adding figures to games since skylanders, and i'm sure someone tried it before skylanders but i don't remember them, These are essentially $15 DLC bundles that don't give you anything in game. the whole business model is dishonest to me personally. I know kids love the action figures I had a ton when i was a kid and i still have that box in storage but goddamn I'm not going to buy each fighting character individually for a game. I'm amazed modders havn't killed this business model already by just unlocking the characters. but apparently it's new law of the land now, Disney has one and Nintendo has one and i'm sure before too long blizzard or valve will have one too. and game sites love this crap for some reason, it makes no effing sense to me, maybe it's all the swag bags this gives birth to but i've never understood the popularity of this idea. it's real world micro transactions to me.
You've proven the point yourself: no one cares about the chip or functionality nearly as much as the fact that they get a figure of a character they like. I don't think anyone is meant to buy every single one, either. Just the ones you like. Like you did. When special editions for games come out that include little figures, people go nuts. Why wouldn't the amiibo popularity make sense to you?

NPC009

Don't mind me, I'm just a NPC
Aug 23, 2010
Clive Howlitzer said:
I am completely and totally uninterested in them. Is that the same as avoiding them?
Avoiding would imply effort on your part. And since having to put effort into not buying little collectibles would kinda sad, good for you!

Kameburger

Turtle king
Apr 7, 2012
I actually bought or reserved the Sonic one because it was a cool figure and there aren't really that many sonic figures. I don't have a Wii U either so I could care less, but I really don't understand any of the surrounding feelings good or bad in this case. They are little Nintendo figures and most of us are grown ass adults. What do we really have to be mad about? Is it a waste of money? Absolutely. Is it the worst waste of money? Not as bad as buying a game I didn't finish. Do I need one? Not really... Why are we freaking out? The truth is that none of us are comfortable with Nintendo at the moment. I don't mean we like it or don't like it, but Nintendo at this point is sort of like the Captain America of video game companies. It's colorful and self indulgent, but unaware of its self-indulgence to a fault. They are awesome yet some how not universally accessible. Pair them up against any game console and you will get the same kind of answer; Nintendo focuses on games where other consoles are there to out do each other with specs.

It's scary because Nintendo is the last remaining relic from a generation long past that is still trying to do things the way everybody loves it. It's like Facebook in Facebook's first year, where it was all functionality and no BS, but you know somewhere in your heart this experiment can't last and so you feel a certain hesitance about not diving in. And people not buying Nintendo as a reaction becomes the consumer equivalent of J-walking; there are no cars coming but you don't want to be the first one to go, but once someone goes everyone follows. If even one or 2 of my friends had a Wii U I might just buy one, but as of right now I've never even touched a controller.

Revolutionary

Pub Club Am Broken
May 30, 2009
How the fuck do you avoid Amiibos? Those fuckers are like mystical unicorns, you've got to preorder them months in advance if you want a specific one. It's not like they're even remotely ubiquitous in stores. If you don't want to get (or even lay eyes upon) any Amiibos just go about your day and that'll happen as a matter of course.

Luminous_Umbra

Sep 25, 2011
I've been avoiding them in terms of scalpers and picking up what I can in terms of rarer ones (Managed to get Rosalina, Toon Link, and Sheik today).

The only one I might get from a scalper is Villager because A. I really want that Amiibo, more than almost any of them and B. He is one of two Amiibos to not be restocked at all and Marth doesn't really count because he is confirmed to be restocked for Codename: Steam. (Yes, even Wii Fit Trainer was restocked, back in December)

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
144 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
144 said:
Do people in this thread have no income? Are you middle-schoolers? The least sensible argument I've seen so far deals with price, and $13 is the cost of a cocktail.
In my country they cost twice as much, and that's the standard price of a full game. Buying an Amiibo would be like buying a full-price game somewhat close to launch value. There're 30 or 40 games I'd rather buy for that money before purchasing an overpriced collectible figurine doll. And like I said, I've seen them priced up to $70 in GameStop.

But you know what, even $13 would be too much. Two hundred pesos? That's an entire week of groceries right there. Or a month's worth in bus fares (plus change). Or an expensive lunch. Or four and a half movie tickets. Or half a game (maybe an entire game if it's used or on sale). Just to put some perspective.
What videogames can you get new for $26? Only new ones count, because we aren't discussing used amiibos.

And here in the USA, where the OP seems to live, games cost around $30-$50. You might notice at this point that your math is shitty. I don't think you know what an entire week of groceries costs in the USA, either, if you claim to live in Argentina. I live in NY, where everything is expensive, and the cocktails I mentioned earlier are actually more than the standard amiibo. That was the perspective I tried to give, but weirdly, you ignored that bit. I wonder why? Is it because you have no idea?
"That's an entire week of groceries right there". I think maybe that confused you. I didn't mean "over there", I'm using the expression "right there" (referring to the money). That's why I was talking in pesos, not dollars. To continue the comparison, that kind of money would get me... a lot of cocktails.

the_dramatica

Dec 6, 2014
Like that alien show guy said, people are grabbing them with intentions to resell them due to their rarity.

Gotta be careful because their value would skydive if nintendo announces more.

@alien guy post above me
You can do better than that, most of those are definitely not the highlight in their series.

You can get something like deus ex hr for 5-20 bucks 2 years ago.

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
144 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
144 said:

What videogames can you get new for $26? Only new ones count, because we aren't discussing used amiibos.

And here in the USA, where the OP seems to live, games cost around $30-$50. You might notice at this point that your math is shitty. I don't think you know what an entire week of groceries costs in the USA, either, if you claim to live in Argentina. I live in NY, where everything is expensive, and the cocktails I mentioned earlier are actually more than the standard amiibo. That was the perspective I tried to give, but weirdly, you ignored that bit. I wonder why? Is it because you have no idea?
"That's an entire week of groceries right there". I think maybe that confused you. I didn't mean "over there", I'm using the expression "right there" (referring to the money). That's why I was talking in pesos, not dollars. To continue the comparison, that kind of money would get me... a lot of cocktails.
Two things. First, see what I did there, with the spoiler tags? We use those to take up less space when posting images.

Second, do you actually think the miscommunication involves the wording of "right there"? Maybe you didn't read my full post (something I feel I've had trouble with you specifically about before). To paraphrase (for your convenience), things cost different money sizes all over, including groceries, coxktails, games, and amiibos, but the OP specifically brought up the $13 issue, and people responded to that. For instance, I remember when a lot of those games were released, hit shelves, and were then far more than $26. All of them, I think. That's the context of the situation. It's American, and if you want to be a helpful part of the conversation, discuss within that context or make it clear that your opinion is colored by a different set of circumstances.

fenrizz

Feb 7, 2009
Avoiding them?

Nope, I'm getting them all.
It was about time we got sonme quality merchandise form Nintendo.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
144 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
144 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
144 said:

Do you actually think the miscommunication involves the wording of "right there"?
I did!

Maybe you didn't read my full post (something I feel I've had trouble with you specifically about before).
You've had trouble with me? I have no idea who you are, except you like Amiibos and cocktails.

To paraphrase (for your convenience), things cost different money sizes all over, including groceries, coxktails, games, and amiibos, but the OP specifically brought up the $13 issue, and people responded to that.
Me too. I wouldn't pay that specific kind of money for any kind of DLC, let alone a physical copy of it.

If you want to be a helpful part of the conversation, discuss within that context or make it clear that your opinion is colored by a different set of circumstances.
I don't know man, going by this thread's title I feel like it's all been pretty much on-topic so far, what with Amiibos and their avoiding thereof (because they're rare/expensive/and from an opportunity cost POV, pretty worthless as far as I'm concerned).

144_v1legacy

Apr 25, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
144 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
144 said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
144 said:

Do you actually think the miscommunication involves the wording of "right there"?
I did!

Maybe you didn't read my full post (something I feel I've had trouble with you specifically about before).
You've had trouble with me? I have no idea who you are, except you like Amiibos and cocktails.

To paraphrase (for your convenience), things cost different money sizes all over, including groceries, coxktails, games, and amiibos, but the OP specifically brought up the $13 issue, and people responded to that.
Me too. I wouldn't pay that specific kind of money for any kind of DLC, let alone a physical copy of it.

If you want to be a helpful part of the conversation, discuss within that context or make it clear that your opinion is colored by a different set of circumstances.
I don't know man, going by this thread's title I feel like it's all been pretty much on-topic so far, what with Amiibos and their avoiding thereof (because they're rare/expensive/and from an opportunity cost POV, pretty worthless as far as I'm concerned).
I'd agree that some of the stuff you've said in this thread is sensible for the most part, but to call me out as though my opinion was inaccurate based on opinions contextually significantly further from the OP is unfair. I also note that every single example from your list was a PS3 title, so you were comparing prices of last-generation games to functionality of current-generation gaming figures. It's several cases of unfair comparisons. I can get an amiibo for free if I steal one, but it's an unfair comparison in the context of the thread. Maybe they'll be worth less in 2 years (or worth more) but that's an unfair comparison.

I have no amiibos. I said in an earlier thread that the drop in quality made me not want one. See here: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/7.863825.21554251

Regarding past "troubles", I'm referring to this post, and others: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/forums/jump/661.866713.21694111

Chaos Isaac

Jun 27, 2013
They're dumb, so yeah i'm avoiding them.

I wouldn't even say the figurines are that nice, neither are what they do.

Snydeclyde

Jun 23, 2012
Last time i was in the states happened to be when SSB WiiU released and I didn't bother because there wasn't anyone I wanted (FE characters)

If I'm in a position to get hold of a Lucina when they drop then I'll be tempted but otherwise I'll probs skip them.
In hindsight I should of maybe got a few that were available on release to sell on down here.

josemlopes

Jun 9, 2008
Johnny Novgorod said:
In Super Smash Bros. they seem to work a lot like Pokemon. You can train/level/customize a certain character, then save that character's data into the Amiibo, allowing you to carry it over to other consoles and have it fight other players/Amiibos. You have no direct control over it. So it's essentially a pen drive that exclusively stores a certain kind of data, and doubles as a figurine.
I think the reason everybody and their mother went crazy about this is because there's supposedly so few of them.
So it has a less pratical use then saving the info in the cloud or hard-drive (to then copy to a pen) like every other game ever?

Are people getting hyped about being fucked in the ass?