Anyone avoiding Amiibos

Dragonbums

Indulge in it's whiffy sensation
May 9, 2013
Vivi22 said:
Not avoiding them since I don't have a platform where I could even use them. That said, I'm strongly against the idea of making video games which lock out some of the content unless you start buying some stupid fucking figurines on top of it. It's a blatant cash grab and the fact that it seems to be working makes me sick to my stomach. I guess even Nintendo isn't above treating their fans like open wallets.
Except that the "locked out" content is stupid shit like shitty outfits in Mario Kart 8 for the Mii player, a level 50 computer in Smash, and bonus items you can find in-game anyway in Hyrule Warriors.

That's has zero value for me.

The entire value for these Amiibos are the statues themselves. Where else are you gonna find a decent piece of merchandise on Little Mac? Bowser Jr? Duck Hunt?

That's the whole appeal.

Snotnarok

Nov 17, 2008
There's not much reason to avoid them, Nintendo doesn't often release figures and these are cheap ass figures regardless of secondary features.

If I want a Samus thing for my desk, my options are ... an 40 dollar figure or a 12 dollar minifigure. It's not like this is a recent thing either, they don't have much Samus related crap in the U.S. So, I could care less what it does with my WiiU/3DS, as long as it looks pretty on my desk.

The E-Reader was a stupid thing to begin with, you can scan 12 cards and play a game or ...buy a game outright and not have a giant dopey thing sticking out of your console.

BarkBarker

May 30, 2013
I like having the figurine, it gets me a sweet outfit in Mario kart 8, raising my own godly Captain Falcon like a smash bros child sounds fun and should they release anything else that it works with I'll be only happier. I am avoiding them from a collectors perspective, however from a gamers perspective, my Mii in a captain falcon suit and helmet(with the amazing visor) is too good an opportunity to miss.

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Aiddon said:
No, because I do think they're a cool bit of merch with interesting potential. In addition to being neat collectibles, they've also shown to do some neat stuff across multiple titles. I've actually been building Amiibo fighters in Smash Bros and it's fascinating to see how they learn and get better over fights. Mario Kart adds Mii suits, Hyrule Warriors gives out loot or weapons, Kirby essentially gives out a daily cheat, and STEAM will give new fighters. I do wonder what functionality they could give to new titles.
I have a Pikachu and a Yoshi amiibo.

My Pikachu Amiibo is a little shit that likes to camp at the edge of the stage.

And My Yoshi seems to have developed a thing for taunting after knocking the fuck out of it's enemies.

ultrabiome

Sep 14, 2011
Toys R Us had an awesome deal for Wave 1 on release day, so I ended up with Mario, Samus, Link, Yoshi, Kirby and Pikachu. And outside of the yellow stand for Link, I am happy with quality and paint job on all 6 of them. I was really impressed by the level of detail on both the Link and Samus figures and the translucence of Mario's fireball.

I picked up the last Bowser a local target had when I came in 2 hours after opening hoping to maybe get a Rosalina & Luma on release day. Now its +$40 on eBay.

After that, I've been searching every day now for information about the last one I truly want, Mega Man. Local retailers don't know shit about it's release. I know Gamestop has said Feb. 20th, but between pre-orders being sold out and the lack of information anyone else has, I'm both pissed and bummed out. Now there are potential delays too.

I know Nintendo couldn't know 6 months or whenever ago that they would be this popular, but this is very frustrating and I would hope that they are scrambling to get another run of the low initial run rares. Otherwise only scalpers are winning as clearly people want these figurines.

DarthSka

Mar 28, 2011
I'm not trying to get every single one. I'm just getting all the Zelda ones and grabbing rare ones when the opportunity arises. They're actually pretty fun to use. My friends and I had a party a week after Smash launched where I brought my Link amiibo and the phrase of the night was, "guys, the amiibo is winning." Plus once everyone else got their own we'd bring them to square against each other or in teams. It's a lot more fun than you'd think. Plus it doesn't hurt that I really like the molds.

Z of the Na'vi

Born with one kidney.
Apr 27, 2009
As of the time of this post I have 4 Amiibo, with picking up Mario and Bowser not a week or so ago. On launch day of Amiibo/Sm4sh I picked up Pikachu and Samus, the two I wanted most out of the initial wave. I wouldn't really call myself a "collector" of Amiibo, but speaking as an ex-Skylanders player, I do see how the figures have exploded in popularity and the various issues that people are having with Nintendo keeping demanded figures in stock (Marth, for example).

The figures themselves are very nice to look at on their own, and that was my main justification for buying them. The fact that they are compatible with Sm4sh and other Wii U titles are just icing, as far as I'm concerned. The craze surrounding Amiibo isn't anything new, and will more than likely die off as soon as Nintendo learns how to properly supply the otherwise enormous demand for them.

Johnny Novgorod

Bebop Man
Legacy
Feb 9, 2012
PlayerDos said:
I got a Yoshi, Kirby and Pikachu, and my GF got a Little Mac, Peach, Luigi and Captain Falcon ones.

So yeah, all up we have spent about $150+ on Amiibo, since mac and falcon were pretty expensive.
Aren't they all $13? Wouldn't that make $91 total?

Dragonbums

May 9, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
PlayerDos said:
I got a Yoshi, Kirby and Pikachu, and my GF got a Little Mac, Peach, Luigi and Captain Falcon ones.

So yeah, all up we have spent about $150+ on Amiibo, since mac and falcon were pretty expensive.
Yeah but keep in mind that amiibos like Little Mac and Captain Falcon go for like $40 each. so that would jack up the total cost a lot. Hell even the Amazon storefront has little Mac at that price.

PlayerDos

Nov 10, 2013
Johnny Novgorod said:
PlayerDos said:

Yeh if we got them at retail price. But it's pretty damn impossible to find some of them in the shops bro, so had to buy them on amazon for much more. I think mac was 39 when we got him, and falcon was up there too.

Dalisclock

Making lemons combustible again
Legacy
Escapist +
Feb 9, 2008
A Barrel In the Marketplace
Country
Eagleland
No.

Then again, I didn't know what they were until recently(I heard the name but wasn't interested enough to actually google it) and I don't have a Wii so still don't care.

feeback06

Sep 14, 2010
I honestly have no interest in them whatsoever. I suppose they are neat to look at, but that doesn't warrant a $13 price tag at all.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
i haven't touched Amiibo's. They're overpriced, badly designed (one game of data are you serious) and just generally not that great. Of course it's Nintendo so there's probably someone wanking off to one as I speak, but they aren't that great

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Also just reading they cost $13 in the US... £15 in the UK ($22.87). So there's another reason; Nintendo are cunts and think British people are mugs with more money than sense.

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
PlayerDos said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
PlayerDos said:

Yeh if we got them at retail price. But it's pretty damn impossible to find some of them in the shops bro, so had to buy them on amazon for much more. I think mac was 39 when we got him, and falcon was up there too.
Rosalina too. I was lucky to get her off Target's site, but of course mine has a defect (the top of her head has a spot of discoloration). The only place you can get her now is eBay and you're not going to pay less than $30 for her unless you're really lucky. Then there is that whole thing with that one guy who bought like a 100 of them just to spite her fans and isn't planning on selling them right now (he even posted pictures that prove he actually did do it). He also bought up a bunch of Marth and is planning on buying more.

Anyone who doesn't have them already is screwed if they're trying to collect them all. It ridiculous that Nintendo isn't making more.

Danny Dowling

May 9, 2014
Allspice said:
PlayerDos said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
PlayerDos said:

Rosalina too. I was lucky to get her off Target's site, but of course mine has a defect (the top of her head has a spot of discoloration). The only place you can get her now is eBay and you're not going to pay less than $30 for her unless you're really lucky. Then there is that whole thing with that one guy who bought like a 100 of them just to spite her fans and isn't planning on selling them right now (he even posted pictures that prove he actually did do it). He also bought up a bunch of Marth and is planning on buying more.

Anyone who doesn't have them already is screwed if they're trying to collect them all. It ridiculous that Nintendo isn't making more.
Should have gone with Disney Infinity mate. Great quality figures, got all my favs, the game is built around the characters, there's creation potential, cross platform usage, no cunts have bought all of 1.

Allspice

Mar 1, 2011
Danny Dowling said:
Allspice said:
PlayerDos said:
Johnny Novgorod said:
PlayerDos said:

Should have gone with Disney Infinity mate. Great quality figures, got all my favs, the game is built around the characters, there's creation potential, cross platform usage, no cunts have bought all of 1.
I never looked into Disney Infinity...maybe I should. I love Disney, I don't know why I didn't at least look at it. I've seen the figures at various stores, they are really nice.

As for the amiibos, I'm glad I'm not trying to get them all. I really only wanted Mario, Luigi (the Super Mario one, should be easy to get when they come out), Peach, Kirby and Rosalina. Maybe the Villager, Meta Knight and King Dedede if I'm lucky enough to find them.

SKBPinkie

Oct 6, 2013
Well, I'm gonna get modded for this, but fuck the OP. Scalpers are nothing but sacks of shit.

I don't own or plan to own any amiibos, but my statement still stands.

Ryallen

Will never say anything smart
Feb 25, 2014
I bought one the other day, and I plan on buying two more, but that's about it. I don't hate them, although I do wish that Nintendo would make more of them. If only so I won't have to spend $38 on the next two. Hell, when I ordered mine, I was reluctant to spend $38 on something that I'm not even able to use yet. But I still like it, even if I wish it was a little cheaper.

Hazy

Jun 29, 2008
EHKOS said:
kilenem said:
I'm a scalper
*Grits teeth while remembering the Escapist Forum Rules*
You know, I can't really even blame scalpers anymore. They're capitalizing on Nintendo's inability to produce more than 10 of a product.

If there's anyone to point the barrel at it's the Big N for letting them get away with it.