Anyone else hate British cuteness?

Monkeybald

Nov 13, 2010
Wallace and Gromit was the first thing that popped in my mind when I saw this thread. Thanks for reminding me OP, going to watch those now.

Saelune

Trump put kids in cages!
Legacy
Mar 8, 2011
Harry Potter is intended for older kids/younger teens. It spread to others, but that was the initial aim.

xFullmetalx

Feb 17, 2011
As stupid threads go this is definitely up there. I may not live in the UK, but I get called British enough by stupid Americans online to know this maybe just another one of those things related with ignorance.

Maladjusted

Mar 20, 2009
Man, this is a successful trolling thread...

Mental note: must add an idiosyncratically-conceived and vaguely inexplicable national stereotype to my next "Why God hates Computer Games/In Praise of Michael Bay: auteur/Why Kane and Lynch 2 is better than Proust/ban Joss Whedon thread...

I mean, don't you just hate...er...you know...Canadian...um...brusqueness?

Britisheagle

May 21, 2009
I, too, am Britsh and also lost.
You can't stereotype the entire Britsh populace, especially not based on fictional characters.

So yeah, you've confused me too.

Sizzle Montyjing

Pronouns - Slam/Slammed/Slammin'
Apr 5, 2011
THIS IS STILL GOING!?
Fuck it, perhaps i should be an idiot to attract more people to my threads!
Now let's think, what's offensively stupid but universally interesting at the same time?
Oh sorry, i meant D'OH WELL! TYPEY TYPE PENGUINS!
ugh.

SckizoBoy

Ineptly Chaotic
Legacy
Jan 6, 2011
A Hermit's Cave
Leo257 said:
The comedian's name is Jack Dee
Oh I know, but I was pointing out that while 'Jack' is a derivative of 'John', the 'Jack' in Jack Dee's name didn't come from him being called 'John'. His birth name is James Andrew Dee.

And now that I think on it: Jack Dee... perfect picture of 'British cuteness', derision and disparagement delivered in deadpan.

gamefreakbsp

Sep 27, 2009
Your ramblings make no sense whatsoever. As an American, I notice nothing remotely like what you are talking about in British culture.

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
SillyBear said:
Mate, I've got no idea what you are talking about.

Most things that come out of Britain are tremendously dull and seedy and dark as far as art and entertainment goes. The British are one of the most cynical people in the world.

This is so true, our British population is metaphorically wound tighter then a turtles arsehole, thats why our comedians are funny. Our cynicism is legendary.

Vault Girl

Apr 17, 2010
Britisheagle said:
I, too, am Britsh and also lost.
You can't stereotype the entire Britsh populace, especially not based on fictional characters.

So yeah, you've confused me too.

I guess it was inevitable that Harry Potter would be used as a stereotypical guideline for the British eventually. We all have ginger best friends and call non-friends, muggles, our slang for lager will be "butterbeer" and the downer in a group of friends will be called snape.

anyone who is gay will be called a Dumbledore.

etc etc etc.

rapidoud

Feb 1, 2008
blaize2010 said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
What the fuck are you talking about?
Maybe you've confused us with the fucking care bears or something?
Seriously, no one here as a clue what you are talking about.
Hell, i'm now tempted to set up a thread intilted- 'Anyone else hate American ignorance?' based off one person.
... fuck it, moving to canada.
Still in America :).

Being a part of the Commonwealth (Australia), I like the accent of the English, the Irish I can't understand, and the Scottish couldn't give less of a crap if they tried :).

Apr 5, 2008
irrelevant83 said:
As an American, I do like British culture, especially comedy, but I can't get over their obsession with making everything cute.
Cute? WTF? The only example you an come up with is a Harry Potter one that is only relevant to fans. Was Lord of the Rings cute? Are Dickens' books cute? Was Hamlet cute?

I would suggest that any "cute" references in a harry potter novel were probably due to the fact the book is aimed at young readers (ie. teens). It's worldwide success and broad appeal are irrelevant beside the author's target audience.

Sizzle Montyjing said:
Maybe you've confused us with the fucking care bears or something?
Seriously, no one here as a clue what you are talking about.
This man said it better than I can.

Japan is the home of Hello Kitty and woman-pillows, pre-pubescent children with large eyes (and speed lines) and Pikachu. Read this wikipedia page [http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cuteness_in_Japanese_culture] to see what cuteness in culture is about, then come here and visit Glasgow on a weekend.

CaptainChelt

Feb 9, 2011
*scratches head*

Hmm, I can kinda understand the muggles thing, but as a Brit I haven't found much that we make named cutely (unless you count next door neighbours cat), but Tolkien was a Brit, was everything he named cute? :p

Richard Eis

Oct 5, 2009
I thought the point of the word muggle was basically that the wizards didn't think much to normal humans but didn't want to insult them directly. Their clueless solution is therefore to use a word that's cute enough to NOT be thought insulting by themselves.