Anyone else hate British cuteness?

Ironic

Sep 30, 2008
Sizzle Montyjing said:
What the fuck are you talking about?
Maybe you've confused us with the fucking care bears or something?
Seriously, no one here as a clue what you are talking about.
Hell, i'm now tempted to set up a thread intilted- 'Anyone else hate American ignorance?' based off one person.
Hahaha yeah, this post is weird. I would've thought a post from a Brit complaining about americans making everything so twee in their rom-coms would be a bigger complaint, or how the only accent that apparently exits in England is a TERRIBLE cockney (á la Dick Van Dyke). Most americans i know find most british things either a little too depressing or the humour too dark. Cute? If all you've had to experience british culture, OP, is Mr. Darcy and the use of the word muggle, then I can see where you're coming from, but still, "british cuteness"?

PASHAW.

Viral_Lola

Jul 13, 2009
British cuteness? I know British people who are cute but I don't think cuteness is endemic to the British Isle. Maybe Japan is what you are thinking of.

beniki

May 28, 2009
Yeah, that's just Rowling's terrible sense of naming. She's wrote the story for children, and as such, gave everything childish names. Dumbledore, Weasley, butter beer etc.... it's exactly the same reasoning as calling something Raggedy Anne.

Er, except that our Raggedy Anne and Andy are called Rosie and Jim and they live on a canal boat with a guy who draws picture books about them. I guess that's real British cuteness. Wholesome and nostalgic countryside scenes, with rosy cheeks and cream buns at tea time.

lord.jeff

Oct 27, 2010
Wow 8 pages of people saying "What are you talking about?" he used one example and applied it to all of Britain. It's just foolishness on his part, can this topic disappear now?

TheNaut131

Jul 6, 2011
So you're whole issue is that the word "muggles" is a bit too cute but the book makes you take it seriously, thus making British culture "cute."

How the hell does one word in a book suddenly make British culture "cute?" Really, what the fuck are you talking about? Besides, you act as if the book shoves the word down your throat! Okay, yeah they want you to believe muggles is a word, but that's only because it is a word in the HP universe. Actually, it's more like degrading slang , some word that just got randomly made up to sort non-magic users in a distasteful way. Have you ever noticed how whenever certain characters mention muggles, they use the word more as an insult? It's actually a pretty decent way to contrast how the wizards perceive their plain, human counterparts.

So, as like everyone else, I bid you a due with a WTF are you talking about?

Jun 16, 2010
If by "cuteness" the OP meant "a history of savage brutality and violent oppression of half the known world, which is still remembered fondly by Brits as a jolly good time", then I kind of agree with him...

Luke3184

Jun 4, 2011
Appleshampoo said:
If you hate British naming of Fantasy things I'd steer well clear of Lord of the rings if I were you. It's just FULL of that British cute naming you're on about.

I just find it amusing how you're basically using a blanket statement due to ONE author calling a group of people 'Muggles'.

I heard a German once liked to kill people, does that mean all Germans have 'German rage'?

I heard one American liked to punch people a lot. Does that make all Americans suffer from 'American Punch syndrome?'
More like several Americans liked to do a fair bit of genocide once, does that mean all Americans a war hungry genocidal pricks... Oh wait...
(Just saying I don't think all Americans are warmongering pricks, just the government and a fair chunk of the population)

And as an Englishman, England is one of the most cynical places in existence, British humour is generally dark and we have a tendency to be utter bastards. Don't stereotype off one piece of literature, especially one directed at children too young teens.

Mr. Google

Jan 31, 2010
Sizzle Montyjing said:
What the fuck are you talking about?
Maybe you've confused us with the fucking care bears or something?
Seriously, no one here as a clue what you are talking about.
Hell, i'm now tempted to set up a thread intilted- 'Anyone else hate American ignorance?' based off one person.
Hey not cool! I'm American and thought he was a little bit crazy too! Not my fault that common sense isn't common in America....

Doctor Greenthumb

Sep 19, 2010
Harry potter is a book wretten and designed for kids, mainly to get them reading in the first place. kids like cute stuff. I dont and so i dont read the books. I am english and ive never asociated our country with cuteness certainly

BlackWidower

Nov 16, 2009
I read the title, and was intrigued because I had no idea what it was talking about. So I clicked on it, read the full post, and all I have to say is, I still don't know what you're talking about. "Muggle" is supposed to sound cute? I always thought it was a classical British euphemism for idiot. Not really cute when you look at it that way is it? It's like the word "Humbug" which used to mean, in the old-den days, Bullshit. Now a days it sounds...I guess...cute. But back then, it was rude and offensive...it was a curse word.

Of course you want all things in fantasy universes to sound like Tolkien, and that pisses me off. Middle Earth is the most overused setting for fantasy in literature. Okay, they don't use Middle Earth exactly, but it's damn close. Harry Potter comes up with something relatively original, and you piss on it because it's original. You should be doing the opposite. Praising them because they don't rip off Tolkien.

Fledge

Jan 28, 2010
Aphex Demon said:
Agreed, as another Englishman I don't have a fucking clue what you are talking about.
Quoted for laziness.
As in , I cba to write it myself.

DarkRyter

Dec 15, 2008
irrelevant83 said:
As an American, I do like British culture, especially comedy, but I can't get over their obsession with making everything cute.

I'm not even sure if cute is the right word, it's just the best word I can muster. They don't just apply cute names to things like the Japanese do, but apply cuteness and expect everyone to take it seriously. I can't get into Harry Potter, though I'm sure it's brilliantly written, just because non-magic users are referred to as Muggles. To compare, the Final Fantasy series has creatures called Moogles, but FF doesn't force us to take them seriously.
They're called muggles because wizards DON'T take them seriously.

And that's a horrifically shallow reason for not reading something.

Latinidiot

Feb 19, 2009
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Rylot said:
Sizzle Montyjing said:
Oh I know exactly where your avatar comes from. Mid nineties Nick was where it was at. I just saw an opportunity to take a cheap shot and it's two thirty in the morning here and I'm a little hopped up on Code Red and it was way funnier in my head...

Also just to get more off topic: Did you know Flea from Red Hot Chili Peppers was Donnie? http://www.cracked.com/article_19239_8-actors-you-wont-believe-voiced-famous-cartoon-characters_p2.html Plus wouldn't his name be something like Nyangel Thornberry?
I forgive you...
WITH VIOLENCE!
It's the british way.
I thought hanging on in quiet desperation was the british way?