Anyone Gone Retro Gaming Recently?

Erana

Feb 28, 2008
Terramax said:
Yo! I just started the very first Tomb Raider today to find that the game still plays and even looks good (as in it's pretty crystal clear and detailed as far as PSX games go). I'm surprised to find this game has held my attention even more than games such as the new Prince of Persia and Shaun White's Snowboarding.

So, has anyone else here gone back to playing any retro titles, say 10 years or older, recently? Are you enjoying it? Does it still hold up or was it shocking you enjoyed the game the first time round? It doesn't have to be a game you've played before; maybe you've bought an old game from GOG, Steam, PSN, etc.
I was playing the original Tomb Raider myself the other day, how funny a coincidence.
Still, look at my username. Or my avatar. XD

death525

Aug 29, 2009
i actually went back to play final fantasy 10 because i never beat it when i borrowed it from my uncle originally but i was like 8 so cut a guy some slack

ethaninja

Oct 14, 2009
Mr Ink 5000 said:
ethaninja said:
Mr Ink 5000 said:
Last week I dug out Abe's Oddysee, and I'm loveing every minute, its style is amazing.
Hehe Abe's Oddysee. I just found the image on my hard drive a couple of days ago, started playing it as well.
You ever saved all 99 in previous plays?
Nope. You?

Lost In The Void

When in doubt, curl up and cry
Aug 27, 2008
Well I'm doing my third playthrough of KOTOR right now. I've also been hitting up the two best C&Cs since I have little interest in Starcraft 2 or its predecessor. C&C Tiberium Sun and Red Alert 2 have kept me busy all week

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
Yup Im playing old Skool Playstation 1

The Original Model not the small one.

got me a Negcon, a Logitech Wireless controller (thats nice to use... nice on the hands) a few mem cards including a 72mb one which has so far been solid and reliable as long as i dont save diablo on it lol i use a 1mb one for that game.

Playing through Jersey Devil atm off and on in-between other games

Mehall

Feb 1, 2010
I have all my consoles hooked up to my TV, so all I need to do to retro game is switch the power adapter over (I only have so many plugs ): )

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Wow, lots of old skool pokemon fans I see. Makes me think about trying to dig out Pokemon blue or red for a play again.

dragon_of_red said:
It was still fun... and i still crank out the original Spyro...
Now there's a good piece of nostalgia right there.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Fredrick2003 said:
I like how the PS1 era is considered retro xD.

If that's the case then I have been a retro gamer for life! The Playstation 1 and the Nintendo 64 are still probably my most played consoles. Nintendo 64 is best for multiplayer of course, but the Playstation 1 has all those amazing classics like Silent Hill/Resident Evil and the Final Fantasy games.
Well, it's over 10 years old now. 15 since it was first released so why not?

GodofDisaster

Premium member
Sep 10, 2009
Yes, I was cleaning out the wardrobe in my room today and I came across my old PS1 games.

There was plenty of games to chose from, but I decided to go with one of my personal favourites.

Digimon Rumble arena, I spent three hours playing that game today, it was awesome.

[sup] Please don't judge me.[/sup]

manaman

Sep 2, 2007
Julianking93 said:
I went back and bought a bunch of PS1 games.

Too bad I can't find a goddamn PS1 memory card anywhere.
I think somewhere in the world a monster subsists only on PS1 and PS2 memory cards. I found one of the 20 or so I must have bought over the years when I went back to play some PS1 games.

I only have 2 PS2 cards and only the cause I stuck them in the little holders built into the cases when I moved once long ago. The rest of them I stuck in a bag and sense then they have vanished as well.

When I think of going retro through I think of firing up the old NES or SNES and popping in some of the wonderful old games I played as a kid.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Terramax said:
So, has anyone else here gone back to playing any retro titles, say 10 years or older, recently?
Yep. Random thoughts on some recent C64 titles I played:
Ghostbusters - I don't know how, but I'm better at this now than when I was a kid. I guess because I've forgotten all my friend's mediocre advice.
Archon (hehe) - I can still win. But unlike my young twitch-reflex days, I have to actually use a strategy more complex than "Throw my dragon at it."
Zorro - Hey, let's try this. I remember hating it as a kid. It can't be that bad.... Oh, wait, the goddamn music, the same 13 second loop over and over again ALL THROUGH THE GAME.
Raid Over Moscow - Getting to Moscow? Still possible. Beating the bloody disc room? Still impossible.
Alleykat aka Demolition Mission: The Alleykat Space Racer - Oh my God I get the "nuts" joke now.
Street Beat (Ghettoblaster with the copyrights filed off and better music) - Still great fun. And I get a lot more of the music references now. Heh, Electric Avenue.

In the PC realm, I still play Doom every now and then, thanks to DOSBox. Been playing Oblige maps - some really fun ones can come out of that program; a worthy successor to Slige. Went back through my own Hermitage and realized I'm a sadistic level designer.

Also, don't know if it counts, but DOSBox has also allowed me to reacquaint myself with Cribbage King and sharpen my rusty crib skills. I'm a dangerous player again, but still dislike Muggins. (I can pick the best hand and play it well, but damned if I can count it right!) Also found a Christmas Easter Egg in the game. Guess I never played on December 25th before!