Anyone Gone Retro Gaming Recently?

Snarky Username

Elite Member
Apr 4, 2010
When I get bored I usually get on one of my emulators and play a game. I just wish I could get the psx emulator to start working... I would kick it in frustration, but it's a computer file so I can't even do that...

johnfistyadams

Sep 30, 2009
Every few months I get the urge to play an older game. Its usually a Zelda game or Silent Hill. This time around I've decided to try and get 100% on Majora's mask.

stinkypitz

Jan 7, 2008
Well I dusted off the old Genesis and popped in one of my childhood favorites: Gunstar Heroes. Let me tell you, that game is even more fun now than it was then. I encourage you to give it a try especially with a friend, its one of the most fun co-op games I have ever played. Its challenging, but just hard enough to make it fun and not so hard that you get frustrated.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Formica Archonis said:
In the PC realm, I still play Doom every now and then, thanks to DOSBox.
Yep, dosbox is a beautiful thing. It got me acquainted with the early point and click adventure games.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Iwata said:
I've recently bought Wipeout
I love the first Wipeout. In fact, my name on this forum derives from the first Wipeout game. Can you figure out what it is?

Hearthing

Aug 20, 2008
Fallout 1 and 2 are pretty much always on this machine.

Also, I can't believe no one has mentioned the timeless classics:

Dungeon Keeper
Theme Hospital
Theme Park

No one!? REALLY!?

:(

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
Stranger 517 said:
When I get bored I usually get on one of my emulators and play a game. I just wish I could get the psx emulator to start working... I would kick it in frustration, but it's a computer file so I can't even do that...
What PSX emulator are you using?

Jiggabyte

Dec 19, 2009
Yeah, I keep buying PS2 games like Gitaroo Man, PS1 games like Dynasty Warriors and PC games like Full Throttle.

gameo53

Apr 4, 2010
I'm not sure how "retro" these are but I for the first time in my life during March played the following games:
Metal Gear Solid- Sick, only missed because I wasn't allowed to play "M" games at that age
Final Fantasy 2- Really like, and to be honest cool to see how far the RPG genre has come
Resident Evil 4- Survival horror at its best, no doubt a masterpiece

David_G

Aug 25, 2009
I'm hooked on Starcraft for the last few months, and I'm currently playing LoZ:OoT

Kouen

Yea, Furry. Deal With It!
Mar 23, 2010
Playing alot of Quake and Painkiller atm (bought both on steam recently)

Kiefer13

Wizzard
Jul 31, 2008
I've recently dug out my Playstation and my copy of the original Resident Evil and have been blasting through it.

The last time I played it was when I was about eight, and I remember it scaring the shit out of me at the time. It's not nearly as terrifying this time around, though I'll admit to jumping a few times (damn you infernal dogs jumping through windows), but it's still as brilliant a game as I remember. Hilarious too, with the corny dialogue giving it that B-movie charm. Barry Burton for the win.

TelHybrid

May 16, 2009
I'm finding it amusing how last gen games are being considered retro, didn't realise we had such a wide age range on the escapist. XD
Hell I'm reluctant to class PS1/N64/Saturn as retro just yet...

OT: I went back to my gaming roots and replayed my 1st ever video game. Alex Kidd in Miracle World for the SEGA Master System. Playing a Master System on a 40" TV is weird as hell.

Lord Freya

Apr 13, 2008
Terramax said:
{snip/} held my attention even more than games such as the new Prince of Persia and Shaun White's Snowboarding. {/snip}
anything is better than that crap...

and while I don't go real retro very often, I do still enjoy Splinter Cell: Chaos Theory, A LOT! That game is probably going to stay my favorite game forever... but for real retro gaming I did try the Xbox360's new Arcade Room thing. they have a lot of old Atari games, it was alright.

EDIT: I didn't mean an original Xbox game is retro btw, I was trying to specifically state that I don't go retro very often, but I do play that game a lot.

hazabaza1

Want Skyrim. Want. Do want.
Nov 26, 2008
All my old consoles are in the attic, so nothing really nostalgic, but I have been playing some Battlefront 2 and Brother in arms for a bit.
Also thinking about getting Jade Empire.

Phlakes

Elite Member
Mar 25, 2010
Right now, at this exact moment, I'm fighting Giovanni in Pokemon Red.

Terramax

Jan 11, 2008
TelHybrid said:
I'm finding it amusing how last gen games are being considered retro.
Well, I did originally say games 10 years or more.

Hell I'm reluctant to class PS1/N64/Saturn as retro just yet...
Why not? The Saturn and PS1 are going 15 years old. Before some people on these forums were even alive!