Anyone still watching Extra Credits

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SageRuffin said:
I stopped watching Extra Credits after that big EA Marketing fiasco (yeah, they made some dumb decisions, but one certain commercial from a certain fighting game was far, FAR worse than anything EA did).
And in no way invalidated EC's points on the matter. Funny that.

LawlessSquirrel

Jun 9, 2010
I do, every week as per normal (although slightly earlier in the week, if I remember correctly). Hasn't really done much harm to me, having it moved from Escapist. I get less of a reminder when it's on, but there seems to be a blind spot in the schedule here that sends me to them anyway, and it is nice to be able to watch it in high resolution.

It's a lovely little show, not going to be put off by having to navigate to a separate link to watch it.

thenumberthirteen

Unlucky for some
Dec 19, 2007
Yeah. It's still really good, and I loved the last episode about Call of Juarez I knew it was a lazy and crap game, but now I see how lazy it actually is.

On a related note I got an e-mail about my Extra Credits T-Shirt. Can't wait.

AgentBJ09

May 24, 2010
Deathninja19 said:
Simple really, is anyone still watching Extra Credits now that it's on PATV.

Sadly I keep forgetting about it and haven't watched any of them since the move pretty much just because I don't really go to Penny Arcade anymore (no real reason for that either I just don't find them funny anymore).

So how about you, are you still watching it?
Yes. Every Wednesday without fail since my Twitter feed gets their updates.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
SageRuffin said:
I stopped watching Extra Credits after that big EA Marketing fiasco (yeah, they made some dumb decisions, but one certain commercial from a certain fighting game was far, FAR worse than anything EA did).
And in no way invalidated EC's points on the matter. Funny that.
The point I seemingly failed to make was how EC in particular seemed to be so... "uppity" (for lack of a better term) over things like the Dante's Inferno booth incident, or the whole thing about "Your Mom Hates DS2" (where apparently none of those moms saw "The Thing", or even "Alien" or "Predator"; my mom would have seen that and probably laughed). Add to that the numerous comments that basically jabbed at anything not "art" and it just exacerbated what I felt were overreactions.

And I still find it interesting that no one seems to remember this little gem:

But no, "EA is pure evil and these commercials prove it"! Like... really?

But hey, I could be wrong and I probably am. But as I implied in my last post, I don't think they're a bad bunch of folks, just that they conveyed some of the viewpoints poorly.

EmperorSubcutaneous

Dec 22, 2010
Deathninja19 said:
EmperorSubcutaneous said:
Deathninja19 said:
Simple really, is anyone still watching Extra Credits now that it's on PATV.

Sadly I keep forgetting about it and haven't watched any of them since the move pretty much just because I don't really go to Penny Arcade anymore (no real reason for that either I just don't find them funny anymore).

So how about you, are you still watching it?
Wait, when were they ever funny? I thought their purpose was to be educational.

To answer your question, yes I still watch them.
Sorry I meant I don't find Penny Arcade funny anymore, they've strayed to far away from making observant and sometimes very funny jokes about the games industry and have gone in to making jokes about their lives which I don't care about.
Ah, gotcha. Re-reading your post, that makes more sense.

Something Amyss

Aswyng and Amyss
Dec 3, 2008
SageRuffin said:
The point I seemingly failed to make was how EC in particular seemed to be so... "uppity" (for lack of a better term) over things like the Dante's Inferno booth incident, or the whole thing about "Your Mom Hates DS2" (where apparently none of those moms saw "The Thing", or even "Alien" or "Predator"; my mom would have seen that and probably laughed). Add to that the numerous comments that basically jabbed at anything not "art" and it just exacerbated what I felt were overreactions.
Oh no! Comments from other people! Yeah, EC really deserves crap for that.

Oddly enough, I DO remember the "she kicks real high" commercial. I just don't think it's as bad as a series of campaigns in a desperate attempt to shock people into buying the games through controversy.

I mean, seriously. You're complaining one commercial to entire ad campaigns? Multiple ad campaigns attempting solely to elicit a fiery response?

Yeah, talk about your false equivalence.

SageRuffin

M-f-ing Jedi Master
Dec 19, 2009
Zachary Amaranth said:
Oh no! Comments from other people! Yeah, EC really deserves crap for that.
Don't start that with me, all right? You're bordering on telling what and how to think and I'd appreciate it if you stopped.

Comments are from the people, I'm not faulting EC for that. I simply made an observation and gave my thoughts on it. You don't have to agree with it and I'm certainly not gonna force you to agree with it (not that I had the means to do it anyway).

Oddly enough, I DO remember the "she kicks real high" commercial. I just don't think it's as bad as a series of campaigns in a desperate attempt to shock people into buying the games through controversy.

I mean, seriously. You're complaining one commercial to entire ad campaigns? Multiple ad campaigns attempting solely to elicit a fiery response?

Yeah, talk about your false equivalence.
Okay, so they are significantly different. At least, from what I could tell, EA more or less knew what was going on with their marketing campaigns. The DoA3 commercial I put up earlier literally did nothing but reinforce stereotypes, both of the game itself and the people who play it. I fail to see how a couple of (tasteless) jokes did more damage than that.

And secondly, maybe I'm wrong, maybe I'm not. Either way you can calm that sardonic tone of yours down.

But this isn't about that. This is about EC, and I've already said my thoughts on them. Ergo, I really have no need to respond to this topic again.

And with that, I say good day.

6_Qubed

Mar 19, 2009
Yes! I love that show, and I watch every new episode.

In fact, I kinda wish PATV would pick up some of the other shows that Escapist dropped due to budget reasons. (I admit I had a slight crush on Lisa Foiles.)