Anyone write Fanfiction?

JemothSkarii

Thanks!
Nov 9, 2010
Nope, I can't do it. Makes me mad. Feels wrong to do it.

Because then I try to make it my own thing and that makes me feel like I'm disrespecting the original work. So I'm making my own world to write stories in. My own races, currencies, laws, religion, everything I'm building from the ground up. To make sure I'm constantly working on it I'm also making a novel and a Pen and Paper RPG based in it.

I figure if I make something huge like say Middle Earth or 40k (I love loads of lore) if somebody ever decided to write fanfiction in it they can keep it relatively self contained.

40k fanfics are the only ones I find I can kind of digest. Kind of. Kinda picky in that regard.

Worgen

Follower of the Glorious Sun Butt.
Legacy
Apr 1, 2009
I write pawn stars fanfic, staring my otp, Rick and chumlee.

Kidding, I've written a few pony stories.

Tsun Tzu

Feuer! Sperrfeuer! Los!
Legacy
Jul 19, 2010
Country
Free-Dom
JemothSkarii said:
Nope, I can't do it. Makes me mad. Feels wrong to do it.

Because then I try to make it my own thing and that makes me feel like I'm disrespecting the original work. So I'm making my own world to write stories in. My own races, currencies, laws, religion, everything I'm building from the ground up. To make sure I'm constantly working on it I'm also making a novel and a Pen and Paper RPG based in it.
I can get behind this mentality to a certain extent.

Kinda why I tend to stick to big worlds with plenty of play for characters outside of the 'main' bunch. Settings like WoW, Dragon Age, Star Wars, etc. have plenty of opportunities for stories that are completely self contained. Slices of life and what not.

Where it goes awry for me is when I see people writing stuff like "N MUH OC WUS BESST FRENDS WIT ALISTER N THEY HAD BABEES N IT WUS SOOOOOOOOOOO SEXILOLOL%#LO7L)" ...I mean, yay for folks being creative and I'm glad they're spending their time writing rather being than face deep in Duck Dynasty's bearded taint, but it rubs me the wrong way.

I've built a world or two, actually.

It's a lotta fun. Even drew maps, wrote out estimated population figures, ethnicities, stereotypes for said ethnicities, and so on and so forth...I should finish that, come to think of it.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
https://www.fanfiction.net/u/1011556/Hawki

http://fanfiction.wikia.com/wiki/User:Hawki

Have fun.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
I wrote one not too long ago when I was struggling with a bit of a writer's block on my main project.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10104787/1/Iudices-Fabulae

Although it is not really "fanfiction" per se and more about metafiction about fanfiction, parodying bad fanfic writing, tropes and just generally being a goofy, over-the-top action comedy that just happens to take place in (and makes tongue-in-cheek jabs at) the Harry Potter universe.

I actually have more chapters done (I keep returning to it from time to time whenever I need a change of pace), but I only put the first arc up to Fanfiction.net.

[Edit]: Well, since I'm here I might as well advertise my stuff.
*cough*
So, it is a comedic series starting out in the Harry Potter universe. The protagonist wakes up in the train to Hogwarts with no memories and immediately gets himself involved in a creepy PG-13 lime scene, rescued by a girl who turns out to be the original self-insert/Mary Sue of the fanfic and who is really pissed off that he intruded on her. Most of the first arc is about the protagonist trying to figure out where he is, discussing the peculiarities of the HP universe with the characters and encountering a Sue Hunter from an inter-fictional organization whose job is to hunt down self-insert Mary/Marty Sue characters to preserve the canonicity of the fictional worlds. Lots of fun, over-the-top finger pointing and zaniness to be had until they have to depart at the end for other fictional universes.

My original plans included a cyclical format, where the characters would move from one universe to the next, have fun poking at the weirdness of the particular universe and hijinks and then have some breather episodes in a "World Between World" where the aforementioned Sue-hunter organization resides.

Pr0

Feb 20, 2008
I settle for just calling mine "bad attempts at fiction".

I've wanted to be an author since I was old enough to read. I just can't like my own writing enough to ever really realize the dream.

Old Father Eternity

Aug 6, 2010
While nothing really to add from ones self, this place has quite an amount of stuff ranging from in verse campfire jokes and old timers tales to full novel sized projects -> http://www.gsc-game.com/main.php?t=community&s=forums&s_game_type=xr&sec_id=5 A couple of them have even published, most recently "A Wintering of Evil: The Pandora Affair" by one Lee Earlywine

Setrus

Oct 17, 2011
h@wke said:
Setrus said:
Holy Sheeeet

Came in here hoping this guy would get a mention and there he is 0_0

Loved your ME series, keep it up
Awww, thank you, I stumbled on this thread by accident, not very active here. :D

Will do, DA; Inquisition keeps rolling on. :)

And judging by your username, I'm guessing you're going to appreciate the Garrett bit later on!

TakerFoxx

Elite Member
Jan 27, 2011
Twintix said:
OH MY GOD, THAT'S YOU?!!!! Holy shiet, I'll just let you know that you've got some quite impressive writing skills, my good man!

+1 ego boost. :D

Twintix said:
Why do I write? It's fun. I can see why fanfiction has a bit of a bad rumor, but I don't understand why people are willing to dismiss all of it as garbage. Like, of course some of it is gonna suck; Most of the writers are young, and Rome wasn't built in a day. Besides, a bad story is a bad story and a badly written character is a badly written character- They're not somehow worse just because they're fanfiction and OCs.

Feedback is the key. Feedback, feedback, feedback. And remember - you can give feedback without being an asshole about it. If there's one thing I dislike, it's mean-spirited "advice", because it only serves to discourage aspiring writers and reminds me of a friend who would constantly berate me and then claim she was just being honest. Don't just say a story sucks, explain why you think it's bad and give some pointers. Sure, some of the writers or even a lot of them might be ungrateful for the advice, but they might start thinking about it at some point.
Yeah, totally agree. Hell, I even don't stress about all the Gappy Sue fics you see cluttering up the Touhou section anymore. Who really cares if there's a lot of "bad fics" out there? Like you said, most of the writers are young and inexperienced, and many of them are just doing it for fun anyway. So if writing a wish-fulfillment story about them getting gapped into Gensokyo and dating Marisa makes them happy, then I say let them. I even got into a big fight with that Dead Turtle guy (you may have encountered him, he's sort of notorious on the Touhou section) about this. Just write what you want to write and enjoy yourself.

And if you are serious about writing, fanfiction is probably one of the best ways for aspiring writers to hone their skills. I've learned far more from writing these fanfics than I ever did from all the writing classes I took in college. Because with fanfiction, there is already a built-in audience, and you get instant feedback. Granted, it won't be as constructive as the feedback you'd get in a classroom, but it does help a lot.

Elfgore

Your friendly local nihilist
Legacy
Dec 6, 2010
Yep. None of it is good in anyway, shape, or form. I also refuse to let it leave my computer. But I don't mind sharing the concepts.

1. Set in Sword Art Online's universe. This story follows a guild throughout their journey in SAO all the way to GGO.
2. Multiple Monster Girl based fanfic. I've since deleted all of them, even my greatest work.[footnote]Rest in peace, Ava. I regret hitting delete on your story, but I was to lazy to rewrite the forced as hell harem[/footnote] But I'm giving it another go, this time as an all-out harem in modern times.
3. I've got one called "The Lost Company" set in the Dragon Age universe. Is about a runaway Mage and Templar who create a group of mercenaries. Guild is made up of wandering Qunari, Dead Caste, and various other groups around the DA world.
4. One is based off an internet video series, Design. I'm not taking his exact story, but I am taking the concept of a main-heroine with chains sticking out her back.

Shadow flame master

Jul 1, 2011
I wish I did, it might help me with my writing in general if I wrote about something other than schoolwork. Every now-and-then I get an Idea for a fanfic but I fear that I will never be able to properly give that idea the words or length it deserves. Like right now, I have an idea for a fic about Cirno from Touhou Project, but I don't believe that I could do it justice.

Maybe one day.

GabeZhul

Mar 8, 2012
Shadow flame master said:
I wish I did, it might help me with my writing in general if I wrote about something other than schoolwork. Every now-and-then I get an Idea for a fanfic but I fear that I will never be able to properly give that idea the words or length it deserves. Like right now, I have an idea for a fic about Cirno from Touhou Project, but I don't believe that I could do it justice.

Maybe one day.
That is kind of the beauty of fanfiction. Since so much of it is crap, no one expects yours to be great either, so you can just throw stuff at the wall until something sticks and just have fun. No expectations => No pressure => Lots of room to be mess around without having to stress over whether or not your writing is up to stuff or not.

At least that's my opinion on fanfiction writing, thought I freely admit my point of view might be slightly skewed by the fact that I have been writing since I was in high school (which was a depressingly long time ago) while I only wrote my first fanfic just last year. (Link and selling pitch a few posts back. :p)

FootloosePhoenix

Dec 23, 2010
I used to write a lot of it...when I was about 12. So naturally it embarrasses me to no end now, but I just don't have the heart to take any of it down. Kingdom Hearts was my main thing. 358/2 Days was brand new around the time I stopped, so it was also back in the day when the series wasn't so terribly convoluted. There was still plenty of room to explore the characters and different themes while remaining plausible to canon (I'm not a fan of AU stuff in most cases, to be honest; I feel like at that point you should come up with your own original story). Now it seems like that would be quite a bit more difficult to accomplish.

However, I sort of got back into it awhile ago. I've been working on a Final Fantasy X fanfic. I haven't touched it in about a week now, but I do want to finish it one of these days and I have some ideas for other stories. FFX inspires me a lot and I feel its rich lore is largely overlooked.

Leonardo Huizar

Jul 1, 2012
I did some comics and rewrites of other author's dojinshi & anime screencaps for the Sailor Moon Abridged series.

...A parody of a parody, and sometimes on an other parody

viscomica

Aug 6, 2013
I used to.
I started when I was waaaay young and stopped two years ago because uni happens.

Jhonie

Oct 24, 2011
My fanfiction writing has kind of tapered out, sadly, but I still try to write. I have several project that I am working on, even if it's at a snail's pace. My most popular fic is Journey of a Lilmothiit, which is a crossover fic of Naruto and The Elder Scrolls. There is also Wilden, another Naruto fic, and another fic that I haven't come up with a name for yet that's a One Piece fic with elements from Romantically Apocalyptic and Guild Wars 2. My stuff has generally been well recieved, despite my infrequent updates. I would like to get back into writing more frequently, but I never seem to be able to get around to it... :/ Do any of you have any advice?

If any of you are even remotely interested, my stuff can be found here: https://www.fanfiction.net/u/2657272/