Apparently COD is a children's game?

ohHaiGuiz

Apr 21, 2011

Too long didn't read

I guess kids play CoD is because of the fast paced action unlike others FPS like Battlefiled.

spartandude

Nov 24, 2009
Zaul2010 said:
Cos massacring ppl in an airport is deffo aimed at children.
well tbh it seems to be GENERALLY the more immature people or people who think that killing people = being cool (which TENDS to be 12-16 years olds, i was no exception) so i would say it was aimed at those kids

The Breadcrab

Mar 20, 2011
Daniel Allsopp said:
The Breadcrab said:
Last time I checked, popular shooters like Uncharted, Half-life, Resistance, Medal of Honor, Halo, Fear, Gears of War, Red Faction, Timesplitters, etc were not extremely complex games, at least not more so than Call of Duty.
Granted, taken as a whole, those games may not be "more complex", but they are very different games that provide very different experiences, so comparing them doesn't really work.

The Breadcrab said:
easy to get into(not simple, though)
The game IS simple to get into, you just aim and shoot. Being GOOD is a different matter, but it's easy as hell to play it. Easier than, say, Half-Life, which has puzzles that require you to stop and think for a second.

The Breadcrab said:
Play it if you like it, don't play it if you don't, and just be quiet.
So, people aren't allowed to say "I think CoD is overrated", but you are allowed to go on a huge rant of why it's the only game you can fap to? If your whole post had consisted of only this one sentence, I would've thought you had a point.
It seems I must congratulate you for completely and utterly missing the point. I wasn't "fapping" to CoD, nor was I saying that people who dislike it have non-valid opinions and are inferior. I was merely stating very legitimate reasons why someone would like it and I'm quite frankly tired of people going on about CoD being some sort of extremely primitive game that is inferior to every other one, when in fact it is not. No, it isn't quite as complex or hard as other games, but not so much that it makes it a kids toy all of a sudden. I'm not sure why a game needs to be complex and hard to be good anyway, but I won't go into that.

I'm not even that big a fan of it, if that makes you happy. I prefer some of the other games that I listed over CoD. At the same time, I'm not going to act like CoD is some sort of plague that's killing gaming. It's an above-average shooter that just happens to be very popular. Get over it.

Juk3n

Aug 14, 2010
Mezmer said:
I can understand the appeal to kids, but why are parents letting their small children play a game like COD? I mean, my parents had a strict no M rated game policy when I was little all the way up until I was 13 or 14. Hell, my first T-Rated game was Jak II, when I was 9, and my dad was super pissed at my grandpa for buying it for my birthday (teehee).
funny that my parents were the complete opposite, and my 8 year old son has completed every cod game starting with CoD4, by himself without me worrying he's going to become a mass murderer.

CoD is not aimed at kids, it's aimed at any gamer who like to just pick up and play , the 'drop-in demograpic'.

Not too mention it's the most fun MP FPS..i guess that kinda helps eh?

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Juk3n said:
Mezmer said:
I can understand the appeal to kids, but why are parents letting their small children play a game like COD? I mean, my parents had a strict no M rated game policy when I was little all the way up until I was 13 or 14. Hell, my first T-Rated game was Jak II, when I was 9, and my dad was super pissed at my grandpa for buying it for my birthday (teehee).
funny that my parents were the complete opposite, and my 8 year old son has completed every cod game starting with CoD4, by himself without me worrying he's going to become a mass murderer.

CoD is not aimed at kids, it's aimed at any gamer who like to just pick up and play , the 'drop-in demograpic'.

Not too mention it's the most fun MP FPS..i guess that kinda helps eh?
my parents went the "no M rated games" route after they caught my little brother playing fable having sex.

then again, she didn't want to buy the Halo 2 map pack because she thought it was "another M rated game, and she didn't want any more of those in her house." so yeah.

blankedboy

Feb 7, 2009
Arkhangelsk said:
PoisonUnagi said:
katsumoto03 said:
Wait... Did you just equate Harry Potter with Justin Beiber? This entire article is null.
Well they're both depressingly average and uninteresting. They're kinda similar when you think about it.
I hope you're talking about the movies, or you simply just read the first book and decided that it was shit. If you payed attention to the books, you'd see that they contain more detail than most fantasy novels. And no, I don't mean detail in atmosphere description, I mean storyline details that actually matter.
I read all seven books and have seen the seven currently released movies. I just found the whole series kinda boring. It ramped up a fair bit in the last couple books, but you know what I mean.

Daniel Allsopp

Mar 30, 2011
The Breadcrab said:
It seems I must congratulate you for completely and utterly missing the point. I wasn't "fapping" to CoD, nor was I saying that people who dislike it have non-valid opinions and are inferior. I was merely stating very legitimate reasons why someone would like it and I'm quite frankly tired of people going on about CoD being some sort of extremely primitive game that is inferior to every other one, when in fact it is not. No, it isn't quite as complex or hard as other games, but not so much that it makes it a kids toy all of a sudden. I'm not sure why a game needs to be complex and hard to be good anyway, but I won't go into that.

I'm not even that big a fan of it, if that makes you happy. I prefer some of the other games that I listed over CoD. At the same time, I'm not going to act like CoD is some sort of plague that's killing gaming. It's an above-average shooter that just happens to be very popular. Get over it.
Your previous post sounded like fanboy ranting, I apologize for not having psychic powers to be able to understand the underlying meaning. However, this post, I can agree with.

Hyper-space

Nov 25, 2008
Azaraxzealot said:
spartan231490 said:
I know that as an adult, I really like to have some entertainment where I can just shut my brain off and enjoy it.
I take umbrage with that remark. Always. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/8938-MovieBob-About-Critics-Part-II.2]

brainless things are okay as long as they're not so successful that they prevent thoughtful and more ARTISTICALLY IMPORTANT games from being made.

Brainless crap being successful promotes MORE brainless crap being made, and sophisticated, intelligent, thought-provoking things won't.

The Numbers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/3281-The-Numbers] speak for themselves.
No it doesn't, there will always be a market for games that are mindless and just pure entertainment as there is one for games that demand a little more from the audience. The thing that makes some of these more intellectually-demanding titles unfeasible is when they vastly overestimate the interest there is in the material and over-blow their budget, thus raising the bar they need to reach in order to at least break even. Even if people were to suddenly stop playing mindless games (and settle for other mediums to blow steam) it wouldn't mean that they would all flock to Artsy indie-game #3215 and all developers would start making these types of games. Plus, who would you rather be making these intellectual games? people that just do it for the money or people who genuinely want to do it no matter what?

Truth is, when people come home from a hard day at work, sometimes they just want to loot some goblins or shoot some nazis. Blowing off steam is a big part of keeping a healthy psyche and is necessary for some people, nothing will change that.

Kafka Torkarev

May 29, 2011
WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK!
Did you really need an external source to learn that Cod is a game played mostly by children under the age of 3.334 years of age?

OldNewNewOld

Mar 2, 2011
CoD suffers from the same problem from which the latest Kirby game suffers.
It wants to make everyone feel like a winner. The game is to easy, there is no challenge, there is no tactic, there is no strategy, no thinking.
Even a braindead monkey could win a game or two, have some kills etc...

That's why it's childish.
Also, we can talk all we want, but Activision aimed the game for teens who just entered puberty and think they are badass. IMO, Team Fortress 2 with that "childish" aesthetic and humor is much more mature than CoD. CoD tries to hard to be realistic, jet it fails hard at at. It doesn't know it's place.

Azaraxzealot said:
spartan231490 said:
I know that as an adult, I really like to have some entertainment where I can just shut my brain off and enjoy it.
I take umbrage with that remark. Always. [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/columns/moviebob/8938-MovieBob-About-Critics-Part-II.2]

brainless things are okay as long as they're not so successful that they prevent thoughtful and more ARTISTICALLY IMPORTANT games from being made.

Brainless crap being successful promotes MORE brainless crap being made, and sophisticated, intelligent, thought-provoking things won't.

The Numbers [http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/the-big-picture/3281-The-Numbers] speak for themselves.
I completely agree with this.

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
BiH-Kira said:
CoD suffers from the same problem from which the latest Kirby game suffers.
It wants to make everyone feel like a winner. The game is to easy, there is no challenge, there is no tactic, there is no strategy, no thinking.
Even a braindead monkey could win a game or two, have some kills etc...

That's why it's childish.
Also, we can talk all we want, but Activision aimed the game for teens who just entered puberty and think they are badass. IMO, Team Fortress 2 with that "childish" aesthetic and humor is much more mature than CoD. CoD tries to hard to be realistic, jet it fails hard at at. It doesn't know it's place.

Azaraxzealot said:
spartan231490 said:

I completely agree with this.
Yes indeed. it is a game that does nothing but promote brainless crap, and while i am a big fan of making everyone feel like a winner so every game is fun for everyone, i'm not a fan of things not trying to push any boundaries or that just play it safe and end up making the industry being creatively bankrupt

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Kafka Torkarev said:
WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK!
Did you really need an external source to learn that Cod is a game played mostly by children under the age of 3.334 years of age?
no, i needed it to prove to OTHER PEOPLE that its played mostly by children. if you'd look back on any of my comments you'd see that i actually have a strong hatred for COD and have tried MANY times to show how childish and immature it is and how it is harming the industry.

Nov 12, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
Kafka Torkarev said:
WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK!
no, i needed it to prove to OTHER PEOPLE that its played mostly by children. if you'd look back on any of my comments you'd see that i actually have a strong hatred for COD and have tried MANY times to show how childish and immature it is and how it is harming the industry.
No offense,I agree that it is pretty kiddy and all the like but it isn't really any different from football (America!) with guns.It isn't harming the industry anymore then Basketball's pop culture changes games.That's coming from someone who hates sports too.
It is just another cash-in like everything else.People like fortresscraft.Most people don't.It does not hurt anything and if the vast majority really are that harmful then what is the reason to stay with this people of harm?

soggydan1

Mar 12, 2010
It's true man, I have an 8 year old brother who's been hooked on COD for ages (and he's scarily brilliant at it). He doesn't seem to fussed about the campaign, he just plays online with his pals, laying down headshots. I think he just see's it as something else for him and his friends to do in their spare time.

Tbh I don't think it's a big deal as long as the kid playing is fully aware that it isn't real, and knows not to actually shoot someone in real life. Can't see my wee bro overthrowing the government haha!

Azaraxzealot

Dec 1, 2009
Psycho Cat Industries said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Kafka Torkarev said:
WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK!
No offense,I agree that it is pretty kiddy and all the like but it isn't really any different from football (America!) with guns.It isn't harming the industry anymore then Basketball's pop culture changes games.That's coming from someone who hates sports too.
It is just another cash-in like everything else.People like fortresscraft.Most people don't.It does not hurt anything and if the vast majority really are that harmful then what is the reason to stay with this people of harm?
it IS harming the industry. [http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games_p2/] anyone who denies that is obviously willfully ignorant.

seriously, it's like the huge problems with hollywood now are just beginning in the gaming industry. everyone is just making safe sequels, adaptions, and rip-offs. meanwhile, all originality is being either denied production because it's NOT COD or another "safe" game, or it gets "average" to "low" review scores and everyone automatically just says "nope, gonna wait until its bargain bin material... and then buy it used" as was the case with Psychonauts.

Nov 12, 2010
Azaraxzealot said:
Psycho Cat Industries said:
Azaraxzealot said:
Kafka Torkarev said:
WELL NO SHIT SHERLOCK!
it IS harming the industry. [http://www.cracked.com/blog/the-6-most-ominous-trends-in-video-games_p2/] anyone who denies that is obviously willfully ignorant.

seriously, it's like the huge problems with hollywood now are just beginning in the gaming industry. everyone is just making safe sequels, adaptions, and rip-offs. meanwhile, all originality is being either denied production because it's NOT COD or another "safe" game, or it gets "average" to "low" review scores and everyone automatically just says "nope, gonna wait until its bargain bin material... and then buy it used" as was the case with Psychonauts.
If I may say so,that is how business works and we have a new game each month or so that disproves this whole statement you have said.Little Big Planet,BioShock,Infamous,Borderlands,and let's put an indie on the plate,Minecraft.What those people are doing is seeing what makes CoD successful and trying to market their game in a similar way.The little animation for your knife kill really isn't going to make a difference in the grand scheme of things.Little Big Planet 2,any recent Mario game,any recent Pokemon game.How many games do you see ripping off Pokemon that aren't blatant?You always get your Fortresscrafts.Whether you like it or not is your own business and the world isn't going to turn because of it.

Legion IV

Mar 30, 2010
Captain Schpack said:
Sounds right. Real man play BFBC2
i think your mistaken. highly mistaken.

Real men play Counterstrike 1.6. If your a real man you play Quake 3 1v1.

These new fangled easy and dumbed down shooters like cod and bad company are a disgrace to the once great competitive fps's.

Jyggalag

Jan 21, 2011
JacobShaftoe said:
Jyggalag said:
It's simple, mature,and competitive. Is it really such a surprise?
How did you get, let alone find, no less than three mutually exclusive terms in one sentence? I MUST KNOW!!!
My head? I'm not sure what you're getting at.