Apparently The Last of Us is getting an HBO series

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Yeah. [https://www.gamesradar.com/amp/last-of-us-hbo-fan-cast-ellie-joel/]

It?s kinda funny and ironic that most of Sony?s IPs are geared towards cinematic, movie-like experiences, but what does that say about the games when they?re turned around and made into actual movies or shows? Although sure, certainly each medium has its strengths and weaknesses, and in a way it?s not much different than how so many books are getting screen adaptions; in many cases more than once or twice if you?re a certain renowned horror novelist.

What I?m getting at is it would be nice if the games could be trusted to stand on their own, but when there?s more money to be made...

All we can hope is that they expand on the stories in meaningful, impactful ways.

Anyways, feel free to chime in with your own casting choices.

bluegate

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 28, 2010
Ellen Page for Ellie, but then again, she isn't looking as youthful as she did in Yuno so I'm not too sure about that.

I don't mind games getting adaptations in movies or tv shows. People like to consume different forms of media, there are people that will simply never touch video games but will be fine watching movies or tv shows. Taking one product and making it available in a different form of media isn't something to frown upon, as long as it's done with proper care.

Chimpzy_v1legacy

Warning! Contains bananas!
Jun 21, 2009
Oooh, we get to do casting choices? Neat, let me at that.

Joel: Hugh Jackman
Ellie: Dafne Keen

They had a good report in Logan, and that movie already had a lot of similarities to The Last of Us, so it feels like a natural combo, if an unlikely one. Also, because Ellen page for Ellie is too obvious.

As for secondary characters/antagonists, I'm so far thinking:

David: Jerome Flynn (or Travis Fimmel, for more of a wildcard vibe)
Tommy: Nikolaj Coster-Waldau
Henry: Donald Glover
Tess: Carrie-Ann Moss

Samtemdo8_v1legacy

Aug 2, 2015
bluegate said:
Ellen Page for Ellie, but then again, she isn't looking as youthful as she did in Yuno so I'm not too sure about that.

I don't mind games getting adaptations in movies or tv shows. People like to consume different forms of media, there are people that will simply never touch video games but will be fine watching movies or tv shows. Taking one product and making it available in a different form of media isn't something to frown upon, as long as it's done with proper care.
Then again, it doesn't have to cast a 14 year old Ellie. Ellen Page can do it regardless.

Catfood220

Elite Member
Legacy
Dec 21, 2010
Well, I hope they can make a better story for TV than they did for the game. For everyone who claims that this is the "best game with the best story evah!!!!!!!!" the story is really really predictable. If you can't guess what happens throughout the game then I suggest you watch at least one zombie movie, it'll blow your mind. I mean they play the 'character gets bit and hides it' thing twice. Best story ever, my arse.

If the TV show follows the story of the game then I hope they at try to do something different and surprising with what they've got otherwise the show is going to be really dull. Mind you, having said all that the chances of me watching anything based on The Last of Us is really slim, so it doesn't really matter what I think.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
Catfood220 said:
Well, I hope they can make a better story for TV than they did for the game. For everyone who claims that this is the "best game with the best story evah!!!!!!!!" the story is really really predictable. If you can't guess what happens throughout the game then I suggest you watch at least one zombie movie, it'll blow your mind. I mean they play the 'character gets bit and hides it' thing twice. Best story ever, my arse.

If the TV show follows the story of the game then I hope they at try to do something different and surprising with what they've got otherwise the show is going to be really dull. Mind you, having said all that the chances of me watching anything based on The Last of Us is really slim, so it doesn't really matter what I think.
I always found the story meh and whatever. I could not get attached to a majority of the characters. Plus, I had seen way too many zombie movies before the game was even first announced. Right now, I am watching Castlevania Season 3, and it's way more entertaining and better than whatever HBO is coming up with. Best of luck to them though.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
hanselthecaretaker said:
What I?m getting at is it would be nice if the games could be trusted to stand on their own, but when there?s more money to be made...
I don't think it's a lack of trust. By that sense, any adaptation implies a 'lack of trust' of the source material. If anything, wanting to be adapted is flattering towards the source material, even if the adaptation flops.

Also probably helps that Last of Us is already cinematic so can provide a template for adaptation.

Drathnoxis

Became a mass murderer for your sake
Legacy
Sep 23, 2010
Just off-screen
Country
Canada
Samtemdo8 said:
bluegate said:

Then again, it doesn't have to cast a 14 year old Ellie. Ellen Page can do it regardless.
After all that fuss she made about them using her likeness, I don't see there being much chance of that happening.

meiam

Elite Member
Dec 9, 2010
Drathnoxis said:
Samtemdo8 said:
bluegate said:

After all that fuss she made about them using her likeness, I don't see there being much chance of that happening.
She had a good point though, she was literally staring in another video game coming out at the same time and they were pretty brazen in stealing her likeness. But yeah, she's not playing that.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
In other Sony game>movie crossover news, Mark Wahlberg is really amped [https://www.thewrap.com/mark-wahlberg-interview-uncharted-movie-tenfold-better-previous-versions/] about the latest (and hopefully final) version the Uncharted script. Tough seeing him as Sully, but maybe it?ll be alright.

Casual Shinji

Should've gone before we left.
Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Catfood220 said:
Not to make this into a whole agrument, but Silent Hill 2 was very predictable as well; 'Man who lost his wife receives letter from wife telling him to come to Silent Hill.' Gee, I wonder who ended up killing her? And yet the game is often sighted as one of the better stories in games, certainly one with some of the best character writing. Does that mean the people who site that game as 'one of the best stories in games' are wrong? Predictability doesn't equate to bad storytelling, nor does it mean people can't get just as engaged in its characters than if it were unpredictable.

OT: I'm guessing this is coming from two places. Sony probably saw how The Witcher Netflix series boosted the game sales like fucking crazy, and HBO maybe wanting their own Walking Dead show. Either way I'm not too hopefull. The more realistic looking and storydriven a game tends to be the less well it'll usually translate to screen. I mean, people seem to be way more positive about the recent Pokemon and Sonic movies then they were about Silent Hill and Prince of Persia.

One positive is that it being a series means it's probably not going to have that awkward condensed feel that movie adaptations have - they can actually take their time with the story and characters. But even then, no casting is going to ever feel right or right enough, and it not being interactive will make it pale in comparison regardless.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Casual Shinji said:
OT: I'm guessing this is coming from two places. Sony probably saw how The Witcher Netflix series boosted the game sales like fucking crazy, and HBO maybe wanting their own Walking Dead show.
What's funny is that Netflix seems to want its own Walking Dead show with the Resident Evil TV series.

Either way I'm not too hopefull. The more realistic looking and storydriven a game tends to be the less well it'll usually translate to screen. I mean, people seem to be way more positive about the recent Pokemon and Sonic movies then they were about Silent Hill and Prince of Persia.
Not sure if I'd call Sands of Time "story driven." But yes, you're right. Looking at RT, only three VG movies have "fresh" rankings (Angry Birds 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, Detective Pikachu), and none of them are really series known for their stories.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
Not sure if I'd call Sands of Time "story driven." But yes, you're right. Looking at RT, only three VG movies have "fresh" rankings (Angry Birds 2, Sonic the Hedgehog, Detective Pikachu), and none of them are really series known for their stories.
I guess a better way of saying it is 'games that are more abstract in terms of story, character, and artstyle'. I've got more faith in the Super Mario movie for example (which I'm assuming is going to be animated) than I do the Uncharted movie.

Hawki

Elite Member
Legacy
Mar 4, 2014
Country
Australia
Casual Shinji said:
I've got more faith in the Super Mario movie for example (which I'm assuming is going to be animated) than I do the Uncharted movie.
I do too, sort of, but not necessarily for the story issue.

The Uncharted movie began development in late 2007. TWO-THOUSAND AND SEVEN. You could make the argument that Sony wants to get it right, but taking a look at its wiki page, it's just one departure after another and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't been scrapped. But even that aside, while I've never played the Uncharted series, my understanding is that it takes a lot of inspiration from movies anyway. If it's telling its own story, then sure, but if it's adapting one of the games, I'm kind of left to ask what the point is.

That said, I'm not hyped for the Mario movie either. That I'm not that enamored with Mario aside, it's being produced by Illumination, a company that's sooner known for "competent" films rather than "great" films. I mean, I can just imagine the Toads being the film's equivalent of the Minions for example. Also, I will say that I have a hard time imagining Mario in any narrative-driven work.

Yoshi178

Aug 15, 2014
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
I've got more faith in the Super Mario movie for example (which I'm assuming is going to be animated) than I do the Uncharted movie.

The Uncharted movie began development in late 2007. TWO-THOUSAND AND SEVEN. You could make the argument that Sony wants to get it right, but taking a look at its wiki page, it's just one departure after another and frankly I'm surprised it hasn't been scrapped. But even that aside, while I've never played the Uncharted series, my understanding is that it takes a lot of inspiration from movies anyway. If it's telling its own story, then sure, but if it's adapting one of the games, I'm kind of left to ask what the point is.

That said, I'm not hyped for the Mario movie either. That I'm not that enamored with Mario aside, it's being produced by Illumination, a company that's sooner known for "competent" films rather than "great" films. I mean, I can just imagine the Toads being the film's equivalent of the Minions for example. Also, I will say that I have a hard time imagining Mario in any narrative-driven work.
Mario movie just needs to be as decent of a Movie as Detective Pikachu and Sonic the Hedgehog were to avoid it being a complete train wreck.

Casual Shinji

Legacy
Jul 18, 2009
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:

The appeal of Uncharted is that it's like those movies... but you're playing it. And while you could argue that it's light on the gameplay during those epic setpieces, that doesn't stop it from giving you the impression of 'holy shit, it's like I'm playing through an action movie scene'. Hence why an Uncharted movie is kinda self-defeating. Maybe if it received the same attention as a Mission Impossible movie, but we all know that won't happen.

Oh yeah, I forgot it was Illumination that was doing the Mario movie. That means we probably won't get a narrative driven work, just one filled with cringey gags that they can fill a few trailers with.

Marik2

Phone Poster
Nov 10, 2009
Are they going to shove sex and nudity for no reason? This is HBO we are talking about.

hanselthecaretaker said:
In other Sony game>movie crossover news, Mark Wahlberg is really amped [https://www.thewrap.com/mark-wahlberg-interview-uncharted-movie-tenfold-better-previous-versions/] about the latest (and hopefully final) version the Uncharted script. Tough seeing him as Sully, but maybe it?ll be alright.
I don't understand what is so difficult about making an Uncharted movie. It already is an action pop corn movie.

BrawlMan

Lover of beat'em ups.
Legacy
Mar 10, 2016
Detroit, Michigan
Country
United States of America
hanselthecaretaker said:
Hawki said:
Casual Shinji said:
OT: I'm guessing this is coming from two places. Sony probably saw how The Witcher Netflix series boosted the game sales like fucking crazy, and HBO maybe wanting their own Walking Dead show.
What's funny is that Netflix seems to want its own Walking Dead show with the Resident Evil TV series.

Either way I'm not too hopefull. The more realistic looking and storydriven a game tends to be the less well it'll usually translate to screen. I mean, people seem to be way more positive about the recent Pokemon and Sonic movies then they were about Silent Hill and Prince of Persia.
RE has its own Netflix series? That?s something I might watch, if it?s anywhere near as good as The Witcher.
Don't hold your breath on RE.

hanselthecaretaker

My flask is half full
Legacy
Nov 18, 2010
Marik2 said:
Are they going to shove sex and nudity for no reason? This is HBO we are talking about.

hanselthecaretaker said:
I don't understand what is so difficult about making an Uncharted movie. It already is an action pop corn movie.
Well, there?s this [https://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-last-of-us-tv-show-writer-confirms-he-wont-cha/1100-6474477/] I guess. So yeah they?re probably going to take advantage of all the liberties the medium affords in that respect.

As for Uncharted, it sounds like it was probably terrible before; something less than popcorn-worthy. Perhaps now it might even end up good enough to distract from popcorn munching.