Apple Approves Blatant Mario Rip-Off for App Store

Tom Goldman

Crying on the inside.
Aug 17, 2009
Apple Approves Blatant Mario Rip-Off for App Store

Whoever approved the App Store's Monino must have never played, or seen, a Super Mario Bros. game.

The approval of a game called Monino on the iOS App Store makes you wonder if Apple randomly generates a response to each submission. Not only is the game a blatant rip-off of Super Mario Bros., but it uses actual sprites and music from the series.

[gallery=221]

In Monino, players run and jump on various types of platforms while collecting coins and avoiding mushrooms with feet. Like I said, it's Super Mario Bros., which in itself is perfectly allowed, but not like this. The sprite used for the main character is the same used for Mario in Super Mario World. The mushrooms with feet are just Goombas from the original Super Mario Bros. One level even has a portrait of Bowser in the background.

Monino's story isn't too original either. Take a read:

In the story of this game, Monino's brother was captured by a monster named Bowler. He is on the road to Bowler's castle to rescue his brother. A lot of monsters in different levels are waiting for him. Would you like to join Monino's rescue action? Go!

It's basically as if someone were to make a title called Pack-Mon by copy-and-pasting Pac-Man and adding an eye-patch. At least the coin graphics, which have stars on them, seem to be an original creation. As expected, Monino has already been removed from the App Store, but how does something like this get through in the first place?

Source: Electric Pig [http://www.electricpig.co.uk/2011/04/28/get-your-fake-mario-iphone-game-before-apple-pulls-it-video/]

Mr. Omega

ANTI-LIFE JUSTIFIES MY HATE!
Jul 1, 2010
Nintendo... please sue their asses off. This is not only an insult to Nintendo, but to people who make App games.

Woodsey

Aug 9, 2009
I wish it hadn't have been removed.

Maybe Apple could then be shown a valid reason for suing someone.

DoctorPhil

Apr 25, 2011
Lol, Bowler. I'm thinking this game was made by Mario fans for other Mario fans, then later submitted as a prank to the app store.

Fuselage

Nov 18, 2009
Monino Dev:Mario? What is Mario? I just make the game called Monino, worlds bestselling game for 10 Years!!

gigastar

Insert one-liner here.
Sep 13, 2010
Oooooohhhh boy is Nintendo going to be pissed.

I can imagine them lining up thier lawsuit superweapons now....

teh_Canape

May 18, 2010
really?

a rip off?

more like fangame

(seriously, Mario Forever? heard of it?)

other than that, I won't be getting it, since I don't have any apple product

drakythe

Feb 10, 2011
Sinclose said:
Will be interesting to see Nintendo's reaction... wonder what the 'developers' of this game were thinking.
Judging by the amount of Mario rip off flash games, they were probably thinking something along the lines of "easy money"

Of course they don't realize it'll be easy money for Nintendo's lawyers, but still...

HHKelevra

Jun 5, 2010
teh_Canape said:
really?

a rip off?

more like fangame

(seriously, Mario Forever? heard of it?)

other than that, I won't be getting it, since I don't have any apple product
Except people usually don't try to SELL these fangames.

Littaly

Jun 26, 2008
Wait... can you make money off this?...
Tom Goldman said:
It's basically as if someone were to make a title called Pack-Mon by copy-and-pasting Pac-Man and adding an eye-patch.
...Hold on, I think I've got an idea o_O

V8 Ninja

May 15, 2010
WOW. Apple isn't even trying now anymore. And people still don't understand why most of us gamers don't care about iOS games...