Apple Approves Blatant Mario Rip-Off for App Store

Tiswas

Jun 9, 2010
Despite being a blatant rip-off....this is one of the few App-Store games I actually wouldn't mind playing XD

Cryo84R

Gentleman Bastard.
Jun 27, 2009
viciouspen said:
Alright people.

I am an independent game developer. We're trying to make out initial financial bones for larger projects with casual games.

This crap right here, is precisely why we're going to the Android market.

Apple is just too......Apple. Have a really hard time risking our financial future on this kind of stuff.
Seriously I'm sending out an email to everyone with the link to this article (assuming they haven't read it already).

It's not the only reason by any means, but still...this kind of apple insanity really makes us just want to avoid them altogether and go Droid.

We've personally known too many people who have been royally screwed by apple. Work on a nice lengthy high quality project, pattern it to the Apple app market, then boom, for no reason, rejected, then they have to rush and spend time and money trying to recover the project in some other way.

But Super Obvious Mario clone gets the thumbs up.

I hate you Steve Jobs...so much.
This post makes me laugh. Dude, I seriously doubt you are a developer. Never mind the fact that this game exists almost in identical form on the AM, there are several copies of IT as well. If you were a serious developer out to make a buck, you would know that android users don't spend anywhere near the amount of iOS users. iOS has a larger install base and higher revenue for devs. These are facts.
If you want to make wild claims in the name of some techno-ideology, great, just don't try to pass it off as anything other than an anecdote.

viciouspen

Dec 23, 2007
Cryo84R said:
viciouspen said:
Alright people.

I am an independent game developer. We're trying to make out initial financial bones for larger projects with casual games.

This crap right here, is precisely why we're going to the Android market.

Apple is just too......Apple. Have a really hard time risking our financial future on this kind of stuff.
Seriously I'm sending out an email to everyone with the link to this article (assuming they haven't read it already).

It's not the only reason by any means, but still...this kind of apple insanity really makes us just want to avoid them altogether and go Droid.

We've personally known too many people who have been royally screwed by apple. Work on a nice lengthy high quality project, pattern it to the Apple app market, then boom, for no reason, rejected, then they have to rush and spend time and money trying to recover the project in some other way.

But Super Obvious Mario clone gets the thumbs up.

I hate you Steve Jobs...so much.
This post makes me laugh. Dude, I seriously doubt you are a developer. Never mind the fact that this game exists almost in identical form on the AM, there are several copies of IT as well. If you were a serious developer out to make a buck, you would know that android users don't spend anywhere near the amount of iOS users. iOS has a larger install base and higher revenue for devs. These are facts.
If you want to make wild claims in the name of some techno-ideology, great, just don't try to pass it off as anything other than an anecdote.
lol oh no it's an internet professor. Thank god you showed up right?

Lol, you might want to try researching the difference of how Iphone app games are monetized and the Android ones are before you try to "school" someone. Angry birds last I'd heard was getting more cashflow off the money generated from the adds in its FREE android version over the 99 cent sales currently on the Iphone market. See there's a difference between upfront sales and add revenue. Sometimes it's better to give something away or hadn't you learned that yet on the internet?

Wild claims. What manner of wilds claims did I make exactly?

What I said was precisely that...an anecdote....a personal anecdote from my personal experience. Now unless you happen to be God and have nothing better to do but troll the escapist forums then I don't see how my personal life and business experience and beliefs fall under your jurisdicton and are in need of qualifying to you or anyone, since last I checked, free will was still up for grabs by anybody.
Everything I said was specifically my personal experience and my personal opinion and was never claimed or phrased in a way that claimed to be otherwise, which by definition, makes it a personal anecdote.
I see what you were trying to do there, but what you really were doing was "busting" me on something I was already doing openly, which is just a bit on the lame and needy side as I was never attempting to "pass it off" as anything other than what it was. If you don't agree with it, awesome...I personally could care less, because nothing you say or think has any bearing on my personal beliefs and experiences, and since you're not bank rolling my next project, I don't really have to care about your feelings on my business practices either.

Fact, I consider Apple to be nuts. Fact I consider this to be pretty par for the Apple course. Fact I've known four different small groups with four different projects who have been boned by Apple with this kind of flightiness. Fact, I dislike the apple market, find it to be too much of an extra hastle and never consider pushing games to it unless it's something that can be done with minimal effort only after it's been pushed somewhere else first because I dislike the idea of having to put myself at apple's whim. Fact, there's a lot I like about the emerging non apple markets that we feel fit what we want to do right now much better.

You'll notice that just like with my original post, those are all personal things, personal experiences and personal beliefs and are facts in that I'm the one that thinks them and feels them and experienced them, and has nothing to do with what you were trying to say.
Pay closer attention next time.

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Endocrom said:
Did anybody else think of that game Yahtzee mentioned in that podcast they just did?

The Great Giana Sisters
I thought of it, but not because of anything Yahtzee said. I remember playing a pirated copy as a kid and thinking it was the most amazing and underground thing I'd ever seen. It was like Super Mario but on a C64! And Nintendo didn't want me playing it! And the music ROCKED!

And now, many years later, the this many remixes [http://www.giana-sisters.com/] because you're crap. (The Machinae Supremacy version is quite good if you like metal.)

Also.... *Glances at screenshots* "Lifes"? Faulty translation engine GO!

Alar

The Stormbringer
Dec 1, 2009
Monino doesn't even roll off the tongue. Couldn't they have named him like, Murio? Or Murreo?

Formica Archonis

Anonymous Source
Nov 13, 2009
Alar said:
Monino doesn't even roll off the tongue. Couldn't they have named him like, Murio? Or Murreo?
Or something else that sounds less like a slang term for disease?

"Yeah, I got Monino, had to stay in bed and take antibiotics for a month."

Aeshi

Dec 22, 2009
I wonder where all the people saying they should be sued were when that other company was making those WoW and Starcraft ripoffs.

Plurralbles

Jan 12, 2010
... I've seen SUper MOuse... I've seen romhacks... but to sell it like that is fucking ridiculous.

Apple only cares about intellectual property when it's supposedly theirs. I hope Nintendo rapes the makers.

Zefar

May 11, 2009
It's kinda like when that article about a replica of Minecraft showing up on the 360 which looked like a blatant rip off as well but then people where actually cheering for the 360 version. Weird.

Grabbin Keelz

Jun 3, 2009
I could just imagine Apple's lawyer should Nintendo try to sue.
http://cdn5.wn.com/vp/i/2d/e3c3ab077d623b.jpg

AdamG3691

Nov 18, 2009
I was told a bit ago that the reason apple allow this stuff through is because they are supposed to judge only for inappropriate content.
if they start rejecting apps due to copyright infringements, then any that DO get through are their own responsibility and can be sued for that.

usually, what apple do is allow the apps, but any complaints will normally get it removed pretty quickly

edit: also, Pac-mon sounds like something a troll from WoW would play *imagines pac-man in a voodoo mask*

Aisaku

Jul 9, 2010
Tom Goldman said:
It's basically as if someone were to make a title called Pack-Mon by copy-and-pasting Pac-Man and adding an eye-patch.
If it was called Pac-Mon, wouldn't he have dreadlocks instead? =P