Apple: "If You Want To Criticize Religion, Write a Book"

porous_shield

Jan 25, 2012
TWEWER said:
I'm really glad that Apple had the balls to law down the law in the most simple way possible. They don't want to put up with shitty apps or pretentious bullshit. They never said anything about games not being able to explore deeper themes. All Apple said was that they don't want their platform to be used as a soapbox for your religious or political preaching. And they are well within their rights to maintain that policy.
Apple actually said that political or religious pretension is fine in book form but don't put it in your game so games are being judged on a different criteria than books. I could go on and on in a book about the most pretentiousness political religious stuff imaginable and it would be allowed to appear in the store, but if it were a game it would get blocked.

vun

Burrowed Lurker
Apr 10, 2008
Scars Unseen said:
If you want to criticize religion, write a book buy Android.
Edited for accuracy.

I find Apple's condescending nature offensive. Last(and only) product I bought from them was an iPod back in 2005. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now(and I don't own a barge pole anyway)
Same for me, although I don't know what I'll do if my Nano(3. gen) dies on me as there are no other players with a shape that good, not even the newer Nano models.
If anyone has any tips on where to look for replacements if it dies that would be most welcome.

teh_gunslinger said:
And that's why I've been ranting about fucking Steve Jobs and Apple for neigh on 10 years.

Nice going, all you consumerist sheep who bought their products. Think different my ass. None of you ever thought an independent thought. You just wanted the shinies.
(emphasis mine)
Apple is about as far from "think different" I can possibly imagine, especially after this move.

Dryk

Dec 4, 2011
It makes me sad that so many companies spend years taking risks and exploring new ideas... for the right to play it safe. Remember the 1984 ad? That ad is really awkward nowadays.

Korolev

No Time Like the Present
Jul 4, 2008
Eh. It's their store. They can decide what they put on it. And I can decide to not use the Apple Store.

It's not surprising that they did this. And no, freedom of speech does not apply. The AppStore isn't run by the government for the public. It is a private, corporate store run for profit by business people. They get to decide what is and what isn't put up for sale in their own store. And we have the right to go shop somewhere else if we disagree with their policy (which I do).

Really, it's nothing to get bent out of shape over. "Big Company wants to manage PR concerns" - how is that surprising at all?

Arakasi

Jun 14, 2011
Oh Apple, Apple Apple Apple Apple Apple Apple Apple.
See what you're doing here is the reason why people with more cares in the world than Facebook and pop music don't like you. Of course, that is a minority of the population (sadly) but that doesn't mean you aren't total dicks.

Shamanic Rhythm

Dec 6, 2009
teh_gunslinger said:
And that's why I've been ranting about fucking Steve Jobs and Apple for neigh on 10 years.

Nice going, all you consumerist sheep who bought their products. Think different my ass. None of you ever thought an independent thought. You just wanted the shinies.
Actually I personally valued the highly user-friendly OS so much that I was willing to pay a higher price point for the privilege: I couldn't care less how it looks. Does that not qualify as 'independent thinking'?

These days though, the competition has gotten strong enough that Apple's jerkish mentality has put me off buying more tech from them.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
And without looking at the posts, I know that it has already exploded or is in the process of exploding.

Erttheking

Legacy
Oct 5, 2011
Country
United States
teh_gunslinger said:

Right right, because I bought something that you don't approve of, I'm a sheep. Could you be any more insulting. God, sheep is turning into such a generic buzzword that it's slowly losing all meaning.

UnderCoverGuest

May 24, 2010
"We have lots of kids downloading lots of apps, and parental controls don't work unless the parents set them up (many don't). So know that we're keeping an eye out for the kids, [...]"

Absolutely. I mean, who honestly thinks it's the parents responsibility to look after their children.

Canadish

Jul 15, 2010
Scars Unseen said:
If you want to criticize religion, write a book buy Android.
Edited for accuracy.

I find Apple's condescending nature offensive. Last(and only) product I bought from them was an iPod back in 2005. Wouldn't touch them with a barge pole now(and I don't own a barge pole anyway)
10/10. Would chuckle heartily again.

Not only is the wording bad (implying that games are inherently a lesser art), but they're outright censoring content because it might hurt someone's feelings?

Seriously?

As much as I hate to see rampant hate on someone's religious beliefs, this attitude is utterly fucking toxic, no matter the topic at hand. Please go burn in a fire Apple.

creamy5000

Nov 23, 2009
I am surprized at how many people enjoy have a computer company dictate what they and can't have on their phones. Sure my Android has bloatware but at least I can have any app I want on it.

Mike Richards

Nov 28, 2009
When I first heard about the Endgame: Syria issue, I said I was disappointed that Apple was understandably forced into this situation as a preemptive response in case someone decided to complain about something that probably wasn't worth complaining about. I don't like that, but I can accept it. Now I'm just disappointed in Apple.

Why shouldn't they be worried that someone will complain about a book or an album? I know games are still fighting for their social acceptance among certain circles, but do they honestly thing there's THAT much of a discrepancy? Do they think games are harder to defend, or that they're actually somehow less worthy of defense?

The quality issue is somewhat more understandable, but the prerequisite "won't somebody think of the children" line is somewhere between flimsy at best and downright bullshit at worst, and everyone involved should know that. They have parental controls, and the issue here is not how well they work. If you didn't set them up then you didn't set them up and if your kid sees something they shouldn't it's your own damn fault. It's not a public place and they've provided all the safeguards they need to.

Either they present strong evidence as to why it isn't possible to do so, or they need to curate everything they sell to the same degree if only for the sake of consistency. There's almost an annoying casual flippancy to their statements, and I can't tell if they're just trying to lay down the law or if they really don't see this as a problem. At the very least, they're gonna have to own up to the double-standard if not actually do something to fix it, because I'm rapidly losing whatever sympathy for their situation I had left.

TWEWER

Feb 8, 2009
porous_shield said:
Apple actually said that political or religious pretension is fine in book form but don't put it in your game so games are being judged on a different criteria than books.
Read the article, or better yet read the primary source. It says that apps (not games) on the Apple App Store are different than books and songs, two things that the app store wasn't made for. Apple isn't singling out games at all, they're making a blanket statement about all apps they approve. It seems like you people are making a bigger issue out of this than you should be.

Strazdas

Robots will replace your job
May 28, 2011
censorship under the hood of "think of the children"? well think of the children, stop this stupidity.
then again this is apple, restricting decisions are to be expected.

Harker067 said:
Anyone else thinking back to nintendo of america's censorship policies?
There IS a reason i dont buy nintendo....

marurder

Jul 26, 2009
I actually have no problem with Apple or their approach to the developers. It was straight forward and pretty clear. There are those who would argue it is 'unfair' to games. But the same could be said for any medium. There are TV stations that don't air certain content, or theaters that don't show particular movies. It is up to the consumer to watch/pay/shop there or not. If you bought an Apple product, you knew that Apple had the right to choose what things were allowed in their store. This isn't a sudden shift in policy. Or a surprise.
IF you feel cheated, then you just didn't care enough when you handed over the cash. I bought Android for this purpose, I do not want any company dictating to me what I can have/use on my computer/phone/whatever.
If you don't like it, buy from another company next-time there is no law saying you must give Apple your money.

As for people who said Apple are treating games unfairly. It isn't just limited to games but all apps. It's just that many of the low-brow apps tend to be games. Which means raising the bar can only be a good thing.

Captcha: hear hear